WHY ?

Options
i have really been trying too loose weight i dieted exercised and even fixed the time i ate my life style and sleeping habbits, nothing is happening i see no progress, i keep getting asked if im pregnant and in case your wondering no i am not !

i have been very busy latley and decided since nothing is happening i would drop it, but im back at it ! i cant stop !

please advice anyone :) thanks for reading

sorry about any grammer or spelling mistakes, i am writing this during study time :O

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get discouraged, but it's great that you're back to give it another go.

1. If you aren't already using one, get a food scale. Seriously. This is one of the single best things you can do for yourself, and it only costs about $20 or less. Our idea of "servings" is waaaaay off. Only a food scale can tell you how much you're really eating, and in some instances you'll be shocked.

2. Try to actually hit your calorie goal. Don't undereat or overeat...try to see how exact you can get (with the scale, you can get fairly precise). Do this for at least two to three weeks religiously and see if the weight starts budging. If not, then you have a number off somewhere...either your TDEE estimation is too high, or you're underestimating what you're eating.

3. Try to keep a curious, detached perspective. I know this stuff is super important to the way you feel about yourself, but try approaching the calorie counting and tracking numbers as an experiment. It will help a lot to keep you from stumbling and stressing over small things.

4. Don't deprive yourself too much. Make sure you plan ahead with plenty of low calorie foods that will leave room in your budget for the stuff you love. But also be prepared: if you think you'll overeat, buy single servings. I get mini ice cream bars and single pizza slices or doughnuts, and I don't bring that stuff home, and that way I don't have to worry about being tempted in the middle of the night, but I still get all the treats I want.
  • bunnypanther
    bunnypanther Posts: 110
    Options
    My tips (similar)
    weigh all food! I use digital kitchen scales that cost about £10.
    You should eat back some exercise calories. I tend to aim for 50% as I am unsure of how accurate MFP is on exercise, believe it overestimates.
    I have a spread sheet to work out my weekly average calories in and out. It also does an average of the averages. This way I dont feel worried if I'm under one day and over another, so long as it averages out!

Good luck!
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get discouraged, but it's great that you're back to give it another go.

1. If you aren't already using one, get a food scale. Seriously. This is one of the single best things you can do for yourself, and it only costs about $20 or less. Our idea of "servings" is waaaaay off. Only a food scale can tell you how much you're really eating, and in some instances you'll be shocked.

2. Try to actually hit your calorie goal. Don't undereat or overeat...try to see how exact you can get (with the scale, you can get fairly precise). Do this for at least two to three weeks religiously and see if the weight starts budging. If not, then you have a number off somewhere...either your TDEE estimation is too high, or you're underestimating what you're eating.

3. Try to keep a curious, detached perspective. I know this stuff is super important to the way you feel about yourself, but try approaching the calorie counting and tracking numbers as an experiment. It will help a lot to keep you from stumbling and stressing over small things.

4. Don't deprive yourself too much. Make sure you plan ahead with plenty of low calorie foods that will leave room in your budget for the stuff you love. But also be prepared: if you think you'll overeat, buy single servings. I get mini ice cream bars and single pizza slices or doughnuts, and I don't bring that stuff home, and that way I don't have to worry about being tempted in the middle of the night, but I still get all the treats I want.

^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!

be honest about what you eat and like this says measure and weight everything, once you get into a routine you'll get to know what you can and can't eat but to start with you need to make sure your portion control is in check as our eyes are bigger than our stomachs most of the time.

anyway good luck and don't give up however much you might not be losing weight if you are changing your lifestyle then your body is getting healthier and soon enough things will change
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Good advice.

Run the numbers, eat your food, do some exercise. It works
  • crissy_percival
    crissy_percival Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :) also another problem is that i cant go to the gym as i have no money and we have not much here
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    there are lots of things you can do without going to the gym, lots of exercises with just your body weight, youtube is your friend in this regard, walking, gardening, anything you can do to get the heart pumping and a little bit of a sweat on will all add up
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :) also another problem is that i cant go to the gym as i have no money and we have not much here

No one needs a gym to lose weight, any increase in activity or structured exercise will help. Walk if you can.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go to the gym to lose weight.
    The advice here so far is really good - the only thing I would add is that it really helps me to prelog my meals - that way I don't have to think about what I am going to eat.

Any way you can move more will help - walk at lunchtime - take the stairs as much as possible, use every excuse to get up and walk about. Use google to find some exercise vids - this is not essential to losing weight but I find it helps me stay within my calorie goals (exercise = more food; I only eat back half) and makes you look more toned as you lose.

As I have heard said - losing weight may not be easy but the process is simple - Good luck
  • Myfitfutureself
    Myfitfutureself Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Your own body can be the best weight bench/machine/treadmill you could want!

Keep going and never stop!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Because you have to log all food--I looked at your diary---nothing there, so it makes it hard to help you. I suggest that you log for at least 2 weeks and then come back for advice. Best of luck. :smile:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Look up bodyweight workouts. Go to your library and see what they have on bodyweight workouts.

Check out parks in your area which have tracks for running and trails for hiking.

Do you have a smartphone? Look up some apps like Zombies, Run! (it does cost a few dollars, but not much) or Couch to 5K that can help keep you motivated to try running.

Peruse the videos on YouTube and FitnessBlender. YouTube has some Jillian Micheals, like the 30 Day Shred, among many other good videos.

A gym is definitely not necessary if you're determined.
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I walk 5 miles every day because I don't want to spend the money on gym. Walking really works! Next month I will probably increase my mileage so my body doesn't adjust. Also you could start training for a 5K there are plenty of free apps for that.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options

No one needs a gym to lose weight, any increase in activity or structured exercise will help. Walk if you can.
    '

running is free. =) I don't have a gym either.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Look up bodyweight workouts. Go to your library and see what they have on bodyweight workouts.

Check out parks in your area which have tracks for running and trails for hiking.

Do you have a smartphone? Look up some apps like Zombies, Run! (it does cost a few dollars, but not much) or Couch to 5K that can help keep you motivated to try running.

Peruse the videos on YouTube and FitnessBlender. YouTube has some Jillian Micheals, like the 30 Day Shred, among many other good videos.

A gym is definitely not necessary if you're determined.

Just wanted to second C25K and JM 30 Day Shred. Love them both, and they both got me started on this journey. I just run up and down my road because I don't have the time to go anywhere else. Definitely don't need a gym.
  • crissy_percival
    crissy_percival Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone... i am eating less, and exercising more, i have to finish logging from lat night, i fell asleep
  • DSanchez83
    DSanchez83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen.... crunches help.... but it all starts in the kitchen. Here is an awesome resource for clean eating. http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating/