Why prioritize protein > fat> carbs?

Options
Nedra19455
Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
I learned from others here that I should prioritize hitting my protein goal, then my fat goal, and then fill in with carbs while staying under my calorie goal.

Can anyone explain the reason for prioritizing fat over carbs? I was trying to explain it to my mom and realized I didn't know. I hypothesized that it was because it is easy to fill up on carbs and miss out on fats, but harder to fill up on fats and miss out on carbs? Or maybe because carbs don't provide anything except fuel, whereas fats are necessary for other vital functions?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    based on my understanding (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

Fats help keep you satiated and you need fat in your diet to help absorb certian nutrients found in other foods.

You fill up on protien and it keeps you feeling fuller longer...carbs are good too for energy and shouldn't be dismissed.

Now keep in mind depending on the type of carb you can get the quick energy or slow release energy.

I eat carbs but not a fan of starchy carbs...they leave me feeling icky...mind you if I just eat just complex carbs with no protien or fats I feel "empty"...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Google "Dr. Andrew Weil: Fat or Carbs. Which is worse?" He explains that fat is not a problem. Also google Gary Taubes to see how he explains that fats are not the problem but carbs and sugars are.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Also, fats are essential for metabolizing some nutrients and they do not impact blood glucose. As a Type 2 diabetic I'd rather have fat than carbs to keep my blood glucose levels steady.

Carbs are not essential to your body. They provide energy, but protein can also be metabolized for energy.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Fats provide your body with energy and provide storage spots for energy in the body. Fat also helps move the vitamins A, D, E and K through your bloodstream and absorb them into your body. Fat also provides insulation for body temperature regulation by filling up your body's adipose tissue. The essential fatty acids in fats also play a role in brain development, blood clotting and managing inflammation.

Because your body can't make certain essential fatty acids, including linoleic and linolenic acid, it relies on your diet to provide them. Fat is the most powerful food energy source, with 9 calories of energy in every gram of fat---more than twice as much energy as proteins or carbohydrates provide. Because calories from carbohydrates are quickly burned---usually within the first 20 minutes of exercise---your body relies on its fat stores for energy.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Because protein and fat are essential macro nutrients and carbs are an optimal macro nutrient.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This should answer the various opinions.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_diet
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's because protein and fat are actually essential for your body to function properly while carbs simply provide fuel, and are not strictly necessary (though obviously your body will probably function better with at least some carbs rather than 0). Protein and fat are good for you as well as more filling, so make sure you hit those numbers. There's no real minimum amount of necessary carbs so getting them in doesn't matter.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Also, fats are essential for metabolizing some nutrients and they do not impact blood glucose. As a Type 2 diabetic I'd rather have fat than carbs to keep my blood glucose levels steady.

Carbs are not essential to your body. They provide energy, but protein can also be metabolized for energy.

actually they are essential or they wouldn't be a Macro...

carbs help with brain function (based on what I have read)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fat are essential.

Carbs are non-essential....so if you are looking to gain or lose or maintain....Carbs can be your variable marco/calories
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/opinion/sunday/always-hungry-heres-why.html?_r=0

new article. Fat actually keeps you from being hungry. Carbs mess up your insulin levels.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20329590

Essential fatty acids and human brain

"The human brain is nearly 60 percent fat. We've learned in recent years that fatty acids are among the most crucial molecules that determine your brain's integrity and ability to perform. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are required for maintenance of optimal health but they can not synthesized by the body and must be obtained from dietary sources."
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

IN for depriving your brain of glucose

ETA: Your body can use protein for energy, but then your sweat also smells like ammonia. Have fun with that.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    protein is the building blocks your body uses to make new cells. That's why it's the most important.

fat is also used to build new cells, in particular cell membranes, so it's important, but not as much as protein.

carbohydrate just gives you energy. The above two can give you energy too - a small amount of fat gives you a lot of energy - but all carbohydrate does is give you energy... as your body needs the protein and fat for growth and repair (i.e. growing new cells to replace the ones that wear out) you need to be sure you're getting enough of those first, then the amount of carbohydrate you need depends on your activity levels.... it's the most readily available form of energy for your body, so the best one for fuelling physical activity. But as it's *only* giving you energy, that's why it's less important than the other two.

ETA: this doesn't mean you can just cut all carbs out of your diet and not have any bad effects from it.... there's a difference between bare survival and optimal health. Carbs are necessary to fuel your daily activities, your body can't burn fat fast enough for high levels of activity. When you work out or do any fairly vigorous physical activity, you burn both fat and carbs to fuel it, and your body balances the two. Fat alone can't sustain that level of workout, so if you have no carbs in your system, the quality of your workout will suffer and the total amount of calories you'll burn will be quite a lot less... with carbs in your system you burn more energy (calories) overall and get a much better workout. Also your brain functions better with carbs in your system.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Carbs are most definitely optimal (no argument there) and I enjoy them in my diet, as does everyone else in differing levels.

However the body can produce its own supply of glucose (glycogen) to fuel the brain and other vital organs..

I would never advocate a no carb diet (because that would be very hard to accomplish completely and you would probably need to supplement micros nutrients), but the body can survive very well on a zero dietary intake of carbs - which is why they are optimal and not essential.

The body cannot replicate certain nutrients and fatty acids we get from dietary protein and fat, which is why they are essential.
  • jcranston13
    jcranston13 Posts: 35
    Options
    Dietary fat also plays a role in hormone production and regulation.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

On a LCHF or even no carb diet (although I am not advocating one) the brain only requires about 30g of glucose as opposed to the 120g on a medium to high carb diet, as it fuels mostly from ketones.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

On a LCHF or even no carb diet (although I am not advocating one) the brain only requires about 30g of glucose as opposed to the 120g on a medium to high carb diet, as it fuels mostly from ketones.

You just said LC. Low. Meaning NOT zero.

Dont take 1g of carbs for a week and run a 5k a day, then check back in here and let us know how that works out for ya.

Saying you dont need carbs is like saying you dont need vitamin C. Have fun getting scurvy.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Dietary fat also plays a role in hormone production and regulation.

^^^ that too, and various other functions in the body.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

just because the brain *can* do this, it doesn't mean it's what's best for optimal brain function. People are not always very good at judging whether their brain is functioning well or not. It's kind of like when someone's drunk and think they're sober and fine to drive home... if their friends are complete arseholes and actually let them drive home, their chances of causing an accident are much greater than usual (as should be totally obvious) - yet they may feel that they're fine to drive, because they haven't notice that their reaction times are slower and they're a bit less co-ordinated than usual.

While the effect of lack of glucose on the brain due to a low carb diet isn't as pronounced as this (but in insulin dependent diabetes, the person can appear completely drunk and actually go into a coma due to the brain being completely deprived of glucose) it's still likely to have a greater effect on cognitive functioning than the owner of the brain will realise. Additionally, if you add in observer bias (because they believe that a very low carb diet is good for them) then the result is someone who insists that they function *just fine* on a very low carb diet, and they truly believe that they do...... but are likely to be not noticing that actually they're not functioning as well as they do when eating more carbohydrates.