2.4 stone to lose, my journey starts tomorrow!!

Options
Hi guys,

Well after having put on a couple of stone over the last year its time to get serious with my diet!!

Been trying to stick to a healthy diet for the last 6 months bit everytime i end up having massive food binges after 2 days. Theres nothing wrong with my exercise levels, in fact i go to the gym 4 times a week for over an hour at a time; its the diet thats the problem!
So, ive decided to join slimming world commencing the 3rd of june. After having a break away for a week in anglesey visiting family, where i can hopefully kick start my life style change. The reason for joining slimming world will be for pure motivation and guidance.

My goal is to lose 2.4 stone for when i start university in september.

Here are my current stats:

Weight: 10.4 stone
Height: 5'4

Im hoping to get down to a size 8 so i will need to be around the 8 stone mark.
Anyone doing anything similar to me?
Whats your experiences with slimming world?

Thanks xx

Replies

• rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Slimming World, but my grandma always said, "Why wait til tomorrow when you can start today!". Good luck, hope you get some answers!
  • kirstiejess
    kirstiejess Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Very true!!

My reason for that is because its tomorrow that im going away, so seeing it as a fresh start.

Thank u x
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My weight goals are different to yours (I'm older and taller), but I'm also in the UK and joined MFP because although I was exercising, I had let my diet slip and needed to get a grip, so I totally understand where you're coming from with that!

I'm not sure if Slimming World's system of free foods etc is totally compatible with the MFP approach of pure calorie counting, but MFP is a great way of tracking what you're eating.
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    Im not going to follow the diet down to the T. Im going to incorporate a calorie limit also. Im mainly joining because i like the idea of weekly weigh ins and having the support of others who are also trying to lose.

My friends are all slim and my best friend is a size 8, incredibly toned who eats what she likes and hardly ever works out, so she doesnt understand. My family are constantly saying 'you dont need to lose weight' ... Which is a lie lol!

I know what its like to feel comfortable with my body, i just want to gain that back. I used to be a size 16 as a teen and lost weight after having a baby when i was 19, admittedly the wrong way (became addicted to laxatives and restricted my diet to about 350 cals a day).

Im struggling to do it the right way?!!
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    Im not going to follow the diet down to the T. Im going to incorporate a calorie limit also. Im mainly joining because i like the idea of weekly weigh ins and having the support of others who are also trying to lose.

My friends are all slim and my best friend is a size 8, incredibly toned who eats what she likes and hardly ever works out, so she doesnt understand. My family are constantly saying 'you dont need to lose weight' ... Which is a lie lol!

I know what its like to feel comfortable with my body, i just want to gain that back. I used to be a size 16 as a teen and lost weight after having a baby when i was 19, admittedly the wrong way (became addicted to laxatives and restricted my diet to about 350 cals a day).

Im struggling to do it the right way?!!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm 5'4" to fit into a size 8 I need to be 9 stone when tonned and around 8 stone when I didn't exercise at all, if you go to the gym 4 times a week you may not need to lose that much weight to get to a size 8?

Also that maybe too much weight to lose in 13/14 weeks 32lbs?

Just my thoughts you may be able to lose it quickly as you are young.
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    Hia, yeah your probably right, im not sure how much i need to lose really to be a size 8 as ive always been a size 10 at my slimmest.

So it was just a guide line really and not setting myself up to feel bad if i set my goal at only losing a stone and im still not a size 8.

Its mainly about how i feel and need to change my overall attitude towards food but dont know how. Im used to starving myself to lose weight which i see is totally wrong now which is why i cant fall into the same trap. I tend to become obsessive.
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    And it will be about 15 weeks as im not starting uni until the middle of sept and obviously want a whole new wardrobe! Lol
  • 8lackie
    8lackie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started out just losing 1 lb. .....I think that's like 1/14th of a stone? I was afraid if I looked at what I really needed/wanted to lose, I'd get discouraged. Now 25lb later, I'm pretty impressed with my bad self. Congrats for joining us here. We wish you every success.
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    Thats quite a good way to go about it 8lackie. Whats your overall goal?
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Learn to cook a. it means you will eat better food and you know what goes into it and b. you will need to for uni.

You don't even need a diet receipt book, just eat smaller portions and add in things like rocket which is tasty and makes you feel like you have eaten more.

In the evenings as I tend to eat late because of the gym I have a small piece of turkey grilled but I rub it in cajun spice (dry) and have loads of veg so it's not too heavy going to bed.
  • louiloui123
    louiloui123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    27lbs down and realising that I do not need to eat so much to survive.... i think i liked the idea of yummy meals. Not finished 8lbs before I reach 11st then I hope to stop at 10st.... I dont look as healthy any smaller.
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    Well done for losing 27 lbs I bet your really proud of yourself. I dont want to look ill either.

Aneary1980 i know how to cook and im a good cook!! Thats not my problem, its overeating and not knowing im full.

I have a 3 yr old child so its not as though i will be a typical student eating pot noodles and baked beans all the time.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    apologies when I went to uni I was the only person out of my friends who could cook.

batch cooking can help I make a big batch just after having breakfast and then put everything into bags and storage boxes then put all but one portion in the feezer that way when you come to dinner you can't over eat, a friend of mine would put washing up liquid on any extra food she cooked so that she wouldn't go back for the second portion.

Water is another thing drink a pint before dinner then you can't eat as much.

It's finding ways to stop the overeating I'm the same but slowly I'm getting better.
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    Yeah thats a good idea!! Like when u cook stews, curries and soups etc. I will do that.

Haha i like the extremes your friend went too! I know that once ive done it for 3 or 4 days i will be used to it as my stomach will have shrunk.

Thanks for the advice x
  • aneary1980
    Options
    yep I try and cook my lunches for the week in batches veg chilli or choriz and chickpea cassarole atm as work is the worse place for over eating for me, I also didn't take any cash with me for the first three weeks so I couldn't go to the vending machine, I'm okay now I can trust myself as the thought of 20 mins of cardio just for a packet crisps isn't much fun.
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    Care to share your recipes? Whats ur goals? X
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi Kirstie. I have attended Slimming World in the past and I did find it really good for keeping me motivated. I like the weekly weigh-in & accountability/support factor the groups provide. I have 2 online pals who still attend Slimming World (and both write excellent blogs), 1 of them has lost around 11 stone and the other has lost a touch over 20 stone and has a further 12 stone to go for her target weight. Good luck with your journey & feel free to add me xx
  • kirstiejess
    Options
    Wow thats really good, i hope they are very proud of themselves. Ive just added you too.

Im really looking forward to it, to just be in a group full of people who know the struggle. Xx
  • aneary1980
    Options
    I'm aiming for about 9 stone, but I'm aiming for 13 stone for my birthday in June (I'm 1lb off it) 12 stone by august 11 by october and 10 by christmas, I don't think I'll get to 10 by christmas but I'm not too worried it's just to break up the main goal into chunks.

I'm also signed up for a 10k in september so that's a good fittness goal.

Two of the things I make for lunch tasty easy to make in large amounts

Veg chilli
    1 tin of Butter beans
    1 tin of kidney beans
    1 tin cannellini beans
    2 tins of chopped toms
    Onions
    6 fresh tomatoes
    vegatable stock cube
    chilli, garlic, paprika
    salt and pepper
    any other spices to your taste

I saute the onions first then add in everything but the fresh tomatoes they go in at the end.

The above makes around 10 portions I then either have it with sweet potato or brown rice.

Chorizo and chickpeas cassarole
    one ring of chorizo (200g)
    one tin of chickpeas
    1 red pepper (large)
    2 tins of chopped tomatos
    chilli and garlic
    Onion
    Salt and pepper
    You don't need any other spices as chorizo is favoursome.

saute the onions with the garlic and chilli, add the chorizo, pepper and chickpeas cook for about 5 mins then add the tomatoes and salt and pepper leave to simmer for 10 mins then it's done.

This makes about 6 portions I like this with brown rice.

I know some people say that chorizo is bad but you don't have much per portion and it's so tasty.

They both taste nice after being in the frezzer.

Hope they help.