Stopped losing weight - nursing - help!

Options
Hi- I had my third baby 8 months ago and I'm nursing. I did start to supplement nursing with solid foods at 6 months- so that's where we are now. I am currently eating about 1400 calories a day and have completely hit a plateau. I still have about 10 pounds to lose and haven't had trouble shedding like this before. I have read some things that suggest perhaps I need to increase my calories but that seems so counterintuitive. Any advice? Thanks :)

Replies

• kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 3rd baby! From one mom to another: Maybe you should wait a bit - maybe a few months since you are nursing before worrying about losing more weight. It'll come, Just eat healthy and be as active as you can for now.
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Same here. I had my baby 8 months ago and this month my weight loss has become very slow. However I eat 1625. I was checking out weight loss while nursing articles this morning and they all said never to eat less than 1500. How's your milk supply?

If I were you, I'd probably increase my calorie to 1500, add on a new exercise to change things up a bit and drink extra water.
  • amybaxhill
    amybaxhill Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I am going to increase a bit (1600) and see what the scale says next week.
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was perusing the community and came across this in my quest for information on losing weight while nursing. I am nursing my 7 month old and I am finding it difficult to get the weight off as well. I know it's only been about a week but has anything improved with increased calories. Are you ladies working out as well?
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might find that last 5lb or so just won't shift until you stop nursing.

I can't remember where I read it, but when I was nursing I found something that said sometimes your body wants to hang on to a bit of a fat store "just in case" while nursing. We've evolved and advanced but lots of our instincts and so on haven't. Your body doesn't know that you might not experience a period of famine (like we would if we still hunted and lived in caves etc) - so it hangs on to that little bit for a bit of leeway to keep baby fed even if you're not able to eat.

I certainly found my weight loss stalled while BFing then when we stopped it carried on like normal.