Advice Needed

Options
Almost A month ago I began cutting back on the foods I ate and I joined a gym. I go five days a week to work out. 2 days are high impact aerobics one day is about ten to fifteen minutes or cardio (walking or Jogging the track) before a toning class (3) days a week. Normally on Saturday or Sunday I go to the track to walk around. I've lost 11 pounds so far but I have noticed for the past two weeks that I have only lost a few ounces here and there. I don't understand why though. I don't eat my additional calories from working out, I keep my calorie intake at about 1600 now lower than 1300 and I've set mfp for a pound a week.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to do cardio more days a week?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You need to have patience. Weight loss will differ from week to week even when you are doing everything correctly. Here is a link that will answer most or all of your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • chadproud
    chadproud Posts: 8
    Options
    Good Morning Jay!

Eventually fat loss will slow down a little bit. What does a typical day look like for you eating wise?

You could start to try and bump calories down by just a little bit. I would recommend that before adding in more cardio or extra workouts.

Also, I would start to only weigh yourself once every 2-3 weeks instead of every week. Eventually fat loss will slow down, and constantly weighing yourself can just drive you insane.

Good luck!
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You're body is probably holding on to water from starting new workouts, maybe you're muscles are sore? If so, their holding on to water. Keep at it, and the weight will start coming off again. :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    When you first start to lose weight, you will lose a lot of water weight.

Less food being processed throughout the day means your body needs less water, so it sheds some. This makes it look like a large amount of weight loss initially. So then it slow down to a normal pace so people think they are hitting a plateau or what not.

Additionally, when taking up a new exercise regime, your body will retain water usually to use to repair any damages to the body incurred (weight lifting causes a lot of water retention!).

Overall, the scale is moving in the right direction for you. There is just some water fluctuation that is masking fat loss. Trust the numbers and continue on!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting read regarding food logging as it applies to MFP. You might want to re-consider how accurate you are logging your food. Perhaps some of your common entries are incorrect, which might lead to to be eating more than you think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input guys! I must admit weighing myself every week is getting to me a bit so I'd better stop. Also I adjusted my diet and lowered the calories. After reading the comments I think I'm going to change it back to the 1790 I had and just keep at this the right way. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    give it time to work. Don't lower the calories yet. If you lower them too much, you will have a harder time sticking to your goals. It sounds like you are doing very well, and you are losing! So don't be discouraged by period where you don't lose on the scale. With the exercise, you are probably changing your body composition. Gaining muscle... losing fat.... but not showing big changes on the scale.

My advice... give it time to work!!!