WTF has happened to my running.

Options
2»

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    throw in the odd 4 miles/10k.

I was not saying that 4 miles is 10km....I was saying that I regularly run 5k's but occasionally run more like 4 miles and 10k, perhaps writing 'and' rather than '/' wouldn't have confused you. Thanks for your contribution.....
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I do get what you guys are saying about check my pace and that I might be overdoing it, I use runkeeper to check my pace and lately I'm still running quite a moderate pace, so I'm pretty sure it's not that I'm overdoing it, will give it a go though.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're thinking "It's only two miles, I can hit it hard" and setting off too fast? Edit: I see that's not the case so...

Also, sometimes it takes me a couple of miles to get into my stride- that first part is a *kitten*, but it gets easier further on. You're currently cutting off before you get to the good bit!

I'd suggest a couple of "naked" runs as a reset. Just go out with no watch, music, phone or GPS, run somewhere lovely at a comfortable and just enjoy your running and environment rather than stressing over it. Your next training run after that will be awesome.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    How many times a week had/have you been running? Always in the same 3-8 mile range? If you decide you think it's mental, which it sounds like if you have run 8 in the past and now struggle getting through 2, you might benefit from a break. I have taken a week off running completely here and there and I've found it really helped me. I've had some of my best long runs (10-12 miles) after a week completely off of running. Find some other activity to do during that week, then jump back in the program. You aren't going to lose anything appreciable in the way of endurance and it might help get your mind back in the game..

Also, sometimes it takes me a couple of miles to get into my stride- that first part is a *kitten*, but it gets easier further on. You're currently cutting off before you get to the good bit! .... yes, yes--- I find this too, not such a big deal over 12 miles, but if I only did 2 miles, I would still be in the suckfest that is the start of nearly every run I do.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Most of my training 5k's I complete in about 29-31 minutes as I really don't run flat out like on a race. I would say I'm guilty of not pacing myself well on training runs and have trouble allowing myself to slow back down. I aim for between 9:40-10:00 min/mile for the average run, with these new runs the last 2 weeks I've been hitting 10:15-10:30 simply cos I can't keep up... I don't know if I can mentally allow myself to aim for slower like 11min mile again.....

There is nothing wrong with slowing down. My runs this week have been in the 10:00 to 10:30 mile range and I'm a sub 20:00 5K guy. I'm totally okay with some runs being significantly slower than others and you should be too. :)
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think part of this might be mental. Second, I'm not sure about where you are, but the humidity is increasing here, which makes running feel so much harder and takes the body a few weeks to acclimate to, and will slow our paces too. Third, I think you're running them too fast. If you're out of breath in 4 mins, that's a sign it's too fast (for whatever reason I don't know, but you need to back off). My 5K PR is 25:45 and my easy runs are around 10:30. Yes, I'm capable of running them around a 9:15 - 9:45, but that wouldn't be smart training. Have you ever checked out McMillian? Google his running calculator, you can put in your 5k PR time, hit calculate, then go to "training paces" on the left side. For a 27 min 5k, it suggests easy runs of 9:53 - 10:47, so I would think slowing down to around a 10:15 is exactly where you should be running. Training runs aren't races. Also, if you're having ego problems slowing down, read the book Hanson's Marathon Method, it will explain to you WHY you need to run those runs slower than race pace (ESPECIALLY 5k race pace! you shouldn't even be running them marathon race pace, let alone 5k race pace!).
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'd check if the humidity/relative humidity has risen recently. If it's not weather or an oncoming illness, I'd say your head is playing games with you and you can work through it. You know you can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    . I aim for between 9:40-10:00 min/mile for the average run, with these new runs the last 2 weeks I've been hitting 10:15-10:30 simply cos I can't keep up... I don't know if I can mentally allow myself to aim for slower like 11min mile again.....

There is nothing wrong with running slower. Some of the fastest runners on these forums do slow runs too. I am not that fast, but did a 11+ minute pace last night as a recovery run just because I needed it. Get the numbers out of your head, run a nice easy pace for most of your runs.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think following a training plan sucks.

I'm 3 weeks out from my first marathon, and easing into my taper. I've been following a modified (extended the training period, doubling up on sections) Hal Higdon Marathon training plan since January 1st. Some days the plan said 4 miles, and I suffered through each and every one of those miles. Other days it said 15 miles and I had to tell myself to stop there, even though the run felt so good, because overdoing it wouldn't benefit my goal.

Sounds to me like your mind is rebelling against a more formal plan.

Some ways that I have got through these tough running days:

1)Slow my pace right down
    2)Choose a different path/route/park
    3)Start and end with some walking
    4)Accept that not all runs are races, nor are they all a time for PRs but they are a small stitch in a bigger project
  • prettygurlroc
    prettygurlroc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It could be allergies. I have a gentleman in my office who runs, and started having the same problem. After seeing his doctor he found it had to do with allergies. His air way was not getting enough oxygen making it difficult for him to run for long periods. He tried some allergies meds and has been running like normal. Not sure if this helps but, thought I would through it out there for you. They said allergies where going to be at its worst this season.
  • MrsMekaShae
    MrsMekaShae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was going to comment the same thing. Its more than likely mental. Before you were running without any guidelines but now you have this plan, you're aware of everything and more than likely focusing on your minutes more. Get a watch that beeps when your speed is supposed to change instead of using a watch. It'll get better!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You haven't ruled out health issues. Anemia, thyroid, and chronic health issues can do this. Go ahead and slow down for your runs but get checked out by a doctor to ensure you are healthy.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Has your diet changed? I've read that iron deficiency can cause the kind of performance drop that you are experiencing. From what I read, standard blood tests don't always catch it --- there is a specific test for serum ferritin (something like that). I think it is more commonly done for women (and that the issue generally applies more to women), but I know a male 2:30 marathoner who had issues with iron that were resolved with the right kind of iron supplementation.

You will have better luck with a doc who is a runner or a sports medicine doc. Many GPs are not well informed about running, so be careful. OTOH, docs and nurses who know running can be a huge help --- there is a nurse practitioner at my doc's office who was a D1 college XC runner and she's awesome --- during my last physical she was testing my flexibility and telling me where I needed more strength and flexibility in order to run with fewer injuries.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think following a training plan sucks.

I'm 3 weeks out from my first marathon, and easing into my taper. I've been following a modified (extended the training period, doubling up on sections) Hal Higdon Marathon training plan since January 1st. Some days the plan said 4 miles, and I suffered through each and every one of those miles. Other days it said 15 miles and I had to tell myself to stop there, even though the run felt so good, because overdoing it wouldn't benefit my goal.

Sounds to me like your mind is rebelling against a more formal plan.

Some ways that I have got through these tough running days:

1)Slow my pace right down
    2)Choose a different path/route/park
    3)Start and end with some walking
    4)Accept that not all runs are races, nor are they all a time for PRs but they are a small stitch in a bigger project

I second this 100%. I haven't had to follow at raining plan after 3 years of continuous training for distances from half to full marathons. The past year I've been running at my leisure, how frequently and fast or slow and long or short I want to go. My running has actualyl improved with the freedom.

I'm starting marathon training again on Monday and it's a different mentality knowing to get optimal results you have to follow the schedule. It can get monotonous. Try to change it up a bit!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    allergies making your breathing difficult?
  • ilyahna2014
    ilyahna2014 Posts: 45
    Options
    I would, like others have said, definitely consider the weather as a possibility. I'm from the south US, and used to humidity, whereas now I live in Minnesota, where the air gets very dry (less than 10% humidity). On "Normal" days, I can run up to a half hour and feel fine, but on days when the humidity is even 5-10% lower than my body cares for, I can't even get up the stairs without stopping because I can't breathe. Small differences in the air can be felt in large ways, in my experience - it seems there is a threshold for what a body feels is too dry. Just my two cents. :)

You can get a humidity / temp monitor for you house that has a component that goes inside and outside. If you wish to test the theory, that is an option for you. It's also convenient for other reasons, like deciding it's better to stay home because it's -27 degrees. =D
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You haven't ruled out health issues. Anemia, thyroid, and chronic health issues can do this. Go ahead and slow down for your runs but get checked out by a doctor to ensure you are healthy.

My first thought was thyroid. Are you experiencing general fatigue or are you just "off" in other non-running aspects of your life? Years ago I did this 4 week early morning "boot camp" program. The first time I did it I felt fine. Took a few weeks off and did it again, but that time it was completely different. I didn't have the strength or stamina that I had previously...and long story short I eventually discovered that I had hypothyroidism.

I've had bad running days, but just individual days. Not 'stretches'.

Get yourself checked out. Good luck!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I often find that the short runs that are part of the training plans are the worst. the 3-5k's....gosh, sometimes it feels like the take absolutely everything out of me.

I agree with the people that are suggesting you slow down. I would also recommend not being reluctant to do something like run 2k, walk 1 min. I have actually found that this has helped with my overall average pace.

Beyond that, just fight through the mental part of it and just keep going. It's possible you might need to work on a bit of a shift in mindset though.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people telling you to slow down. I never had issues with energy levels in running until I started following one of Hal Higdon's training plans. My races are much stronger as a result of following these programs, BUT it took a long time for me to be ok with having slower runs. If you read his descriptions about the types of runs he has you do, he states that most of the runs should be done at a pace where you can still have a conversation with someone. Sometimes, it's just about getting your body used to working for that long and not about how fast you can go.

I run 5ks in about 25 minutes when I'm racing, but found that in some of my training runs, I need to do 11-13 minute miles depending on the terrain. I still PR or come close to my record at my races.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It always takes me 3-4km under my belt before I stop thinking about the fact that I'm running.. there are a lot of factors too. Maybe you have allergies? Maybe it's too humid out?

And IMO - 27 mins is a great 5k time. I'm stuck at 38-39 mins for a 5k and I've been trying to shave some time off. I would be proud.