P90X3

Options
Hello everyone! I'm just starting out on my weight loss journey. I've been "trying" for years, but enough is enough, it's time to do this for real! I've purchased P90X3 and I'm hoping this will be the key to success for me. I'd love to know if anyone else is using this program and how it's going? I need some support here or I'm worried I will give up. My track record is not good- I start out strong and then a few days into a diet or exercise program I hit a roadblock and give up. I lost 11lbs in a week during the first week of P90X but couldn't make the commitment to keep going- An hour and a half of yoga was too much for me! I'm hoping I will experience the same success but be able to stick with it since it's only 30 minutes a day. I'm looking forward to meeting some new people and getting healthy together!

Replies

• ARGordon2012
    ARGordon2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi There!! I am in the same boat. I have tried over the last few years to lose weight or at least feel great and I do good for a few days and then just hit a wall. I just puchased T25 (same company) and even though they are not the same program we could still boost each other up to help keep on track. :)
  • embarraco2012
    embarraco2012 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That would be fantastic!
  • markmacare
    markmacare Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hiya, good luck with P90X3. I'm in my second round and love the 30-minute format. You can find a daily check-in group here for additional support: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1223495-p90x-insanity-daily-check-in-log?page=17#posts-20076277
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I'm on week 2, and loving it so far.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am half way through block 2 of P90X3, and i'm really enjoying it, and starting to see results.
  • Valerie3199
    Valerie3199 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I doing P3 and I'm on week 4. I love it so far but I definitely have to modify the the modifiers lol... the 30 min was a must for me, I am a "new" mom of a 10 month old little girl.
    I have a question, what are you using as a description when you log your exercise in here? I have been using 10 mins of push ups and 10 mins of pull ups for the ones that are mainly that and the circuit training for like CVX and such... and suggestions? Sometimes I look at it and I think there's no way I burned over 200 calories...
  • embarraco2012
    Options
    Valerie3199- I calculated calories burned using a different program I thought might be more accurate. I want a heart monitor so badly but they are pricey! That's the best way to know calories burned. Here is a link to the calculator I used:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I chose the high intensity aerobics option because I felt that was the best way to describe it. I can't do the pull ups or push ups well enough yet to really say that's what I did, so I figured aerobics fit the bill and it's definitely high intensity!

If you don't think you burned that many calories watch this clip, it's amazing. It shows that because of the nature of the workouts in P90X3 your body keeps burning calories even after you stop! This video makes me want a heart monitor that reports in calories burned so badly, but they ain't cheap! Haha.

Here's the link to that video clip, it's short:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1182LM8pcEM

Good luck Valerie! Keep up the good work!
  • embarraco2012
    Options
    Tavistock- Good for you! I can't wait until I'm that far along and see results! Keep it up!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of X3 because I find the band modifications (I don't own dumbbells) to be just plain stupid and awkward to do, and also the workouts seem to have a much stronger focus on cardio than the X and X2. Not digging that. The focus on strength training in X and X2 was the reason I felt they were such good programs. I think it would be pretty decent if you are using dumbbells, but the band modified version is just.. blah.

I think that if you can spare the time, you'll still get MUCH better results with the original (or even X2, which isn't all THAT great) than X3. It may not be as enjoyable, but if you're the type of person who--for whatever reason--absolutely cannot hold yourself accountable to get in a decent workout unless you have a schedule of DVDs holding your hand along the way, there still hasn't been much put out that will get you as good of results as the original P90X. If you're shorter on time, GSP Rushfit (no more than 45 minutes a day) is comparable (and in some ways better, IMO).
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Huge P90X fan here. I did a classic round of X3 earlier this year, now I'm on my 7th week of the Mass Schedule. I'm seeing results for sure. I sometimes tweak the schedule to my liking, and will do the occasional Body Beast or Insanity workout here and there, but in general I follow the recipe :bigsmile:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I doing P3 and I'm on week 4. I love it so far but I definitely have to modify the the modifiers lol... the 30 min was a must for me, I am a "new" mom of a 10 month old little girl.
    I have a question, what are you using as a description when you log your exercise in here? I have been using 10 mins of push ups and 10 mins of pull ups for the ones that are mainly that and the circuit training for like CVX and such... and suggestions? Sometimes I look at it and I think there's no way I burned over 200 calories...

I use strength training in the database for the challenge and other strength workouts.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of X3 because I find the band modifications (I don't own dumbbells) to be just plain stupid and awkward to do, and also the workouts seem to have a much stronger focus on cardio than the X and X2. Not digging that. The focus on strength training in X and X2 was the reason I felt they were such good programs. I think it would be pretty decent if you are using dumbbells, but the band modified version is just.. blah.

Block 2 has less cardio than block one
  • embarraco2012
    Options
    Contingency: I hear ya. I'm a big fan of cardio which is why I like it. But I definitely agree P90X (I haven't done X2) was more strength training focused. I miss some of those workouts and am thinking about incorporating them into my future workout routines. I think X3 is good for impatient people like me that push play and can't wait for it to be over haha. I agree with the band's completely. I have 5lb dumbells that I use (cheapies from Walmart) and as I get stronger I'll buy heavier ones. I only use the band's for the pull up modifications. I would struggle with using them as weights too. In the end you just gotta do what works for you and find something you like and can feel successful at. Good luck! :-)
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I have the original and the X3. I think both are good-if you can stick with it. I have wrist joint issues, so all the push ups and pull ups are hard for me to do.

I only do 1 of the cardio intense P90X3 workouts each week. Other days I do running, biking, and toning sessions.
  • embarraco2012
    Options
    Huge P90X fan here. I did a classic round of X3 earlier this year, now I'm on my 7th week of the Mass Schedule. I'm seeing results for sure. I sometimes tweak the schedule to my liking, and will do the occasional Body Beast or Insanity workout here and there, but in general I follow the recipe :bigsmile:

Awesome! I love hearing from P90X grads that have experienced success! Gives me something to look forward to!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of different programs always doing the band substitutions since I don't own regular dumbbells. Although many of them claim that you can get just as good of results from using bands, it's just not the case. The only ones I've ever tried that actually delivered on their claims in that regard were the original X and Power 90. All the others were just... no. X2, X3, ChaLEAN Extreme, they just don't work with bands. Not like they say, anyway.
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't do P90X anymore, I've decided to start weight training instead, however I can't speak highly enough about P90X (haven't tried X2 or X3).

I attribute most/all of my dedication to fitness, including my initial 30# weight loss, to Tony Horton & P90X. His happy-go-lucky attitude, joking nature, & encouraging outlook throughout the program was what motivated me to sticky with fitness & get my *kitten* into shape. If you follow the program, you'll get fit.