Meal replacement shakes, bars etc for a week

Options
I have an extremely busy week next week and will not have access to a kitchen or a decent supermarket. I will have very few options to eat well.
I am thinking of using meal replacement shakes or bars as my meals (or at least 2 out of 3 meals a day) for the week.

I will make sure that I am getting the same amount of calories as I would if I were home, so this is not an attempt to lose weight quickly or anything like that. Its just a way to not lose the momentum of my diet, by having a bad week and falling off the wagon.

My diet usually consists of mostly home cooked meals of whole grains,legumes, vegetables, and a bit of nuts, lean meat and fish so this is a big change for me.

Is there any reason why this is not a good idea ?

Also, is there anything I should consider when deciding which brand to go for ?

Replies

• SaraLily
    SaraLily Posts: 30
    Options
    Don't take my word for it, but to me, it's a bad idea.

I can't imagine being forced to eat disgusting meal replacements 3 times a day for a week.

Plus, these are usually packed with sugar and not really good for you. Depends on the brand

Isn't there any other way? You really don't have access to even a small fridge ?

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance. Maybe someone else can help you. :(
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have an extremely busy week next week and will not have access to a kitchen or a decent supermarket. I will have very few options to eat well.
    I am thinking of using meal replacement shakes or bars as my meals (or at least 2 out of 3 meals a day) for the week.

I will make sure that I am getting the same amount of calories as I would if I were home, so this is not an attempt to lose weight quickly or anything like that. Its just a way to not lose the momentum of my diet, by having a bad week and falling off the wagon.

My diet usually consists of mostly home cooked meals of whole grains,legumes, vegetables, and a bit of nuts, lean meat and fish so this is a big change for me.

I'm unsure why you would think meal replacement shakes and bars would be eating any better than if you were to eat at any number of the places where ever you'll be
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars, but for me I use them as a snack, not a meal. I use protein shakes for post workout, but only when I deserve it.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure why you would think meal replacement shakes and bars would be eating any better than if you were to eat at any number of the places where ever you'll be

I will be able to stay within my calorie limits more easily, and plan my protein / carbs / fats.
    Also, I'm hoping they will be filling (even if they are not tasty or satisfying).

I guess that I don't know how to stay within limits when everything available will be high calories. and yes, unfortunately, there really wont be any good options available.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Will you be at home during this time? Could you pre-cook some meals and keep them in the fridge/freezer?
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Will you be at home during this time? Could you pre-cook some meals and keep them in the fridge/freezer?

no fridge.
    no freezer.

:-(
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am thinking that a whole week on meal replacements would be really tough. If you actually do it please come back and tell us how it went!

I would bring some fruit and granola bars with me for snacks, maybe almonds, raisins, etc. and then eat out. Whatever is available will have some options you can live with. Restaurants are much better about that these days. You can even save some for later. If you are trying to save money you can always pack some sandwiches too. When i'm on work trips I typically splurge a little (when else are you going to order a $9 bottle of water?) :tongue:
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    I am thinking that a whole week on meal replacements would be really tough. If you actually do it please come back and tell us how it went!

I would bring some fruit and granola bars with me for snacks, maybe almonds, raisins, etc. and then eat out. Whatever is available will have some options you can live with. Restaurants are much better about that these days. You can even save some for later. If you are trying to save money you can always pack some sandwiches too. When i'm on work trips I typically splurge a little (when else are you going to order a $9 bottle of water?) :tongue:

Would it be rough because of the taste ? or hunger ? or because of the effect it would have on my body ? I'm just trying to understand if it is bad for me, and why.

Would a combination of meal replacements and snacks (granola bars, nuts, raisins) be healthier ?
    Thanks
  • PhatD
    PhatD Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What about about making meals ahead of time and keeping a small cooler at hand, then you can just grab and go. Meal replacement shakes does nothing for me ,I can eat a meal and drink the shake right along with it,lol.I think I have to have the satisfaction of chewing. I love Oh Yeah! protein bars. I use the 3 oz size. The large amount of calories per bar deterred me at first until I discovered I can eat one bar at lunch and drink a large cup of hot coffee and I'm still full by supper.
    Good luck on whatever option you choose.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing quite often! Quest bars are my favorite, filling and stay wth me awhile! Also I try to stash a small variety in my bag. Baby carrots, string cheese, nuts, dried fruit. All quick easy options to get me through the day!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement bars aren't very filling in my opinion. They last me about an hour. So there's that. And most have quite a bit of fiber, so you'd better be drinking a LOT of water to counteract what is probably an increase over your usual intake or you will be miserably backed up. Plus, if you go for the higher protein bars, which you should or you probably won't get enough for the day, you'll be subject to the gas problems that hit a fair number of people if they take protein supplements/bars, especially if it's multiple times a day.

I'm finding it hard to believe that there's nothing around wherever you'll be that wouldn't be better. What options will you have? What are your calorie and macro requirements? I bet people here can help you figure out what real food to eat to get you through the week.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    thanks for your tips !
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    With the Memorial Day weekend coming up, i'd definitely take advantage of having the bbq going. I'd grill up some chicken, steak, etc and portion it out. I'd invest in one of those fabric coolers and a couple of Rubbermaid ice blocks and bring my food (if I didn't want to get the ice blocks, i'd take a couple bottles of water and freeze 'em up).

This way, I could also package up:

hard boiled eggs
    nuts
    fruit
    chopped veggies portions
    the bbq'd meat portions
    maybe some roasted sweet potato (or regular potato) "fries" (even cold, those won't taste bad)

Pack it out the night before. (This is what i'm doing next week btw, as i'm a tech and will be out in the field conducting site surveys).
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I had the same question. You might be surprised at the options that fast food places have these days, and even gas stations usually have some sort of prepared salads, sandwiches, crudites, etc. Most grocery stores have a deli or prepared meals in their produce department as well.

I would take a moment to look up meals that you can get from popular fast food chains and keep a list somewhere.

A diet full of meal replacements may not be bad in terms of weight gain/loss (depending on your goal) but it could cause some pretty uncomfortable gastrointestinal issues...