Vegetarian Chickpea Sandwich Filling

Options
KaitieBug
KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
I :heart: sandwiches, especially egg salad and chicken salad sandwiches! Here's a healthier recipe from All Recipes I can't wait to try, thought I'd share!! Calorie count is a bit high, but by making the portion smaller and using light mayo, etc., it can be lowered easily. Also including the link to the recipe, it has a picture (that's what hooked me:laugh: )
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Chickpea-Sandwich-Filling/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed 1 stalk celery, chopped 1/2 onion, chopped 1 tablespoon mayonnaise 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 teaspoon dried dill weed salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium size mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Mix in celery, onion, mayonnaise (to taste), lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper to taste.

Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 259 | Total Fat: 5.8g | Cholesterol: 2mg

Replies

• alyssa83202
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sounds gorgeous. And looking at that picture has made me hungry!
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    I saw this today and it looks really good! I can't wait to make it.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Using a fat free ranch dressing might make it a little healthier too, and give it a great taste too!:smile:
  • lindseylkr
    lindseylkr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use vegan mayo and this recipe was mising the most importnat ingredient! Spicy Brown Mustard is the key to making it taste more like tuna salad. I have been eating this sandwich spread for a few years now and I love it with Club crackers and this it would be excellent in lettuce wraps as well :)
  • KaitieBug
    Options
    I use vegan mayo and this recipe was mising the most importnat ingredient! Spicy Brown Mustard is the key to making it taste more like tuna salad. I have been eating this sandwich spread for a few years now and I love it with Club crackers and this it would be excellent in lettuce wraps as well :)

ohhh that sounds YUMMY!!! thanks for the suggestion!!!
  • mariaezdabomb
    Options
    I made this for lunch today with some saltine crackers and this recipe is very yummy. Thanks for Sharing :flowerforyou:
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I found this recipe on Allrecipes a couple of weeks ago and LOOOOOVE IT!!! I have made it several times now and last time I put a can of tuna in it (I love tuna) and it was great!! I have added tomatoes and cucumbers as well-yum. I like it with Wasa crackers or Triscuts (thats what I ate for lunch today;), in a pita pocket, or on top of a spinach salad (what I ate for supper last night;). Great recipe.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I altered the recipe to be lower in fat/cals and had this today for lunch. Next time I'll use a little less dill but they were delicious and so healthy and filling!

Chickpea Tuna Salad

1 cup chickpeas (I used Great Value)
    1 stalk celery, chipped fine
    1 green onion, chopped
    2 tbsp plain yogurt (I used Activia which is a little higher in cals than most)
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    ½ tsp dried dill weed
    1 can tuna canned in water (I used Clover)
    Black pepper
    24 cucumber slices

Directions: drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium size bowl and mash with potato masher. Mix in celery, onion, yogurt, lemon juice, dill and pepper to taste. Serve atop of cucumber slices or as a sandwich (extra points).

WW Points: 4

Nutrition: 208 calories, 517mg sodium, 27carbs, 0g fiber, 3g fat , 23g protein

Picture329.jpg
  • KaitieBug
    Options
    wow heathersmilez, that looks AWESOME!! what an awesome idea to use cucumber slices, too!!:bigsmile:
  • airsangel
    airsangel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump:)