At what point do you consider yourself as having 'binged'?

Options
I've had a stressful day (which I know is no excuse) and when I was waiting for my dinner to cook I decided to let myself have a teaspoon of Nutella. Normally I find Nutella quite sickly so I can't stomach much anyway, but today I just thought sod it and probably ended up having about 4x a recommended portion, if not more. I could have easily eaten the rest of the jar this time! I don't completely regret it though, because I've been very good up to now and I've had a hellish day.

A few months ago I wouldn't have considered this a proper binge. I used to buy sweets and chocolate sometimes twice a week and just snack on 1000 or so calories in one sitting. (I could eat a full bag of Haribo in 5-10 minutes). But now I've been really controlling what I eat recently, the Nutella thing is a bit of a binge to me. Not a total one obviously, and I definitely don't feel like it's halted my weight loss forever or anything, it just feels like I've overdone it when weeks ago I wouldn't have cared. I probably could still eat 1000 calories of crap easily though!

When do you guys differentiate between a binge and just a bit of an indulgence?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    fine line between the 2. my definition is if i feel like a bag of *kitten* afterwards, it was a binge. its really your own distinction though
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Indulge for me is half a medium pie around a 1000 calories. Binge is the entire pie in one sitting which I used to do weekly and still loss fat and gained muscle.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    When I eat til I hate myself. That's a binge. lol
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Puking and or feeling like death the next day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me a binge is uncontrolled eating - can't reason with myself even though I know I should stop. Could be going for more chocolate after I already ate the 2 I had planned to eat, finishing the ice cream pint even though I said I would only have one serving, etc. Basically, it depends on the initial intent - if I'm planning to eat 4 chocolates, it's fine. But if I'm planning to eat 1 and end up eating 3, then it's a binge.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    One of the better questions I've read on this forum.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

When I'm hungover.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options

When I'm hungover.

^^LOLtruth.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    when the garbage is over flowing with candy wrappers?

i too have felt the food hangover lol
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    For me, a binge is eating nonstop for an entire day or night. I'm not hungry, but I keep going. It's like I lose all control and I am on autopilot. My stomach hurts and I am miserable... but, I keep going. Then, the next day, I "make up" for it by exercising for hours.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Indulge for me is half a medium pie around a 1000 calories. Binge is the entire pie in one sitting which I used to do weekly and still loss fat and gained muscle.
    you lost fat and gained strength, not muscle. we've been over this before, yopeeps
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    you lost fat and gained strength, not muscle. we've been over this before, yopeeps

he's special, can't you tell?
  • runningcat76
    Options
    For me, a binge is eating nonstop for an entire day or night. I'm not hungry, but I keep going. It's like I lose all control and I am on autopilot. My stomach hurts and I am miserable... but, I keep going. Then, the next day, I "make up" for it by exercising for hours.
    This !
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For me a binge is uncontrolled eating - can't reason with myself even though I know I should stop. Could be going for more chocolate after I already ate the 2 I had planned to eat, finishing the ice cream pint even though I said I would only have one serving, etc. Basically, it depends on the initial intent - if I'm planning to eat 4 chocolates, it's fine. But if I'm planning to eat 1 and end up eating 3, then it's a binge.

This exactly.

After other threads on MFP have opened my eyes to the extremely large binges that some have, who have binge eating disorders, I am hesitant to refer to even some pretty major uncontrolled eating as a "binge"...but yeah. This!
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    fine line between the 2. my definition is if i feel like a bag of *kitten* afterwards, it was a binge. its really your own distinction though
    Haha....this is my answer too.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've only truly binged once. I ate a whole container of ice cream by myself even though I kept telling myself to stop. I know I shouldn't make excuses for it but.......I was highly emotional.
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Indulge: I could stop eating this, but I'm not going to worry about it today. Feeling good! Treat yo self!

Binge: xxxx calories later, lying in pain in the fetal position with an alien baby trying to crawl its way out of my belly.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is about control or lack thereof. It's not a set amount of food or calories, it's a mindset about what you are eating.
  • najatmarie
    najatmarie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As someone that suffered from BED there is definitely a big difference between over eating and binge eating. Over eating is when you eat just a little too much and are uncomfortably full. For me, binges were a complete blur. I would just keep eating anything and everything even if I was full. I knew in my head I needed to stop but my compulsions to keep eating took over. I would consume over 1500 calories within 20 minutes just by standing in the kitchen and grabbing anything that I could. Normally binges would happen in private too. This in turn lead to bulimia (which I've thankfully recovered from as well). A prime example of over eating is me on Thanksgiving. I indulge because I don't get a meal like that very often. Try not to beat yourself up. Slip ups happen. Just gotta pick yourself up, brush yourself off and move on :)
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This !

Me too!