New at gym, where to start

So my fiance and I recently started at our local Planet Fitness. Neither of us have really done the gym thing before, so we aren't sure what to do there that will give us the best results. We're both aiming for general weight loss, and I'm going for strength as well. We go 3 times a week and right now we do 30 minutes of cardio (rotating between treadmill, cycling, and elliptical) and then the 30 minute strength training circuit they have at Planet Fitness. Is this a good regiment or should we be focusing elsewhere?

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    I am lucky to get 5 PT sessions in my first month and 1 every month afterwards, I would recommend you see if you can some sessions they are worth it I'm doing things that I wouldn't think of and they are tailor made to your needs and goals.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    One of the perks of Planet Fitness is they have training "classes" where you can go in and get a routine setup based on your goals and where you are at right now with your fitness level.

I'd suggest going in when they have one and getting something setup for you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    So my fiance and I recently started at our local Planet Fitness. Neither of us have really done the gym thing before, so we aren't sure what to do there that will give us the best results. We're both aiming for general weight loss, and I'm going for strength as well. We go 3 times a week and right now we do 30 minutes of cardio (rotating between treadmill, cycling, and elliptical) and then the 30 minute strength training circuit they have at Planet Fitness. Is this a good regiment or should we be focusing elsewhere?

Look into 5x5, stronglifts, New Rules for Lifting, etc...

It may be hard to do a true strength training program as some PF's can lack the proper equipment to do so, or don't allow some of the basic lifts at all.
  • teamesteve
    teamesteve Posts: 6 Member
    I also go to PF. Ours only has Smith machines, free barbells that only go up to 60# and dumbbells. I decided to go with a dumbbell regime rather than worry about my form in the Smith machine. Here's what I started with: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html
  • Shad0wguy
    Shad0wguy Posts: 4
    One of the perks of Planet Fitness is they have training "classes" where you can go in and get a routine setup based on your goals and where you are at right now with your fitness level.

I'd suggest going in when they have one and getting something setup for you.

Unfortunately most of the classes are during the day, and I work 8-5 M-F, so it is difficult to make one of their classes.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    I second http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ however as was mentioned, they do not allow some lifts (saw a "Do not deadlift" picture in another forum).
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Look into 5x5, stronglifts, New Rules for Lifting, etc...

It may be hard to do a true strength training program as some PF's can lack the proper equipment to do so, or don't allow some of the basic lifts at all.

Seconded. I've personally had great results doing Stronglifts and recommend it wholeheartedly. Starting Strength (the program) is also quite popular for beginners. Starting Strength (the book) is a great reference regardless of what program you choose.

Good luck finding a Planet Fitness with a rack, though...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Planet Fitness?

First, start at the pizza buffet.

Then, go to the weight room.

Oh... no weight room?
    Get a good treadmill and watching the girls in yoga pants until bored.