What is best to eat for breakfast?

Options
I am really trying hard to eat healthy but part of the problem is every diet suggestions something different.

It seems like oatmeal is the best breakfast choice but I really would rather have some type of cereal in the morning since it is summertime. What do others recommend. I am eating Raisin Bran right now and I also love the Multigrain Cheerios.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you like eating cereal for breakfast, it fits in your goals, and keeps you full, then eat the cereal.

I aim for something with more protein at breakfast because I have a hard time getting enough protein. Eggs & Greek yogurt, a protein shake, or breakfast burrito.

But keep in mind, too, that you can skip breakfast, eat leftovers or lunch foods for breakfast, or stop for Taco Bell or Starbucks and still lose weight as long as your daily goals are being met.

Don't overthink it.
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options
    Have you tried something low carb instead?

This is probably going to sound weird, but I have two boiled eggs and half an avocado chopped up and dressed with cider vinegar for breakfast. It is really filling and I don't need to snack before lunch time.

Eggs are good breakfast food. :)
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is an awesome choice, you should google some recipes for overnight oats, usually made in a mason jar in the refrigerator, all the healthy goodness of oatmeal, but cool for happy summer consumption.
    Beside that, I'm probably one of the worlds biggest fan of eggs, so many options, so much goodness!
    That, or green smoothies are an awesome summer-time option! Your favorite fruits and a big handful of spinach or kale (or both!) can't taste the veggies at all, yummy fruit awesomeness!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you like eating cereal for breakfast, it fits in your goals, and keeps you full, then eat the cereal.

I aim for something with more protein at breakfast because I have a hard time getting enough protein. Eggs & Greek yogurt, a protein shake, or breakfast burrito.

But keep in mind, too, that you can skip breakfast, eat leftovers or lunch foods for breakfast, or stop for Taco Bell or Starbucks and still lose weight as long as your daily goals are being met.

Don't overthink it.

Hey! Lawrence, Kansas girl! Ever been to Stull Cemetery?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Raisin Bran or Cheerios are fine.
    I like hot oatmeal in the winter and refrigerator oatmeal in the warmer months.
    I alternate oatmeal or muesli and eggs.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I go through different phases. A few months ago I was eating cereal everyday. Now I'm back to Toast and Coffee or Crumpet and Coffee.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This.

Don't trust any diet that tells you there's some specific food that you must eat or plan you must follow. The beauty of the MFP approach is that you can create your own plan, just fit your calories and, to be balanced, try to fit your macros. (You can adjust the macros if you prefer--I like more protein myself--but the default ones are a decent start.)

Once you get started you will know whether you are satisfied and feeling good or if you are getting too hungry at various times of the day and then you might want to adjust. I'm another who feels better and stays full until lunch with more protein (plus some vegetables), but lots of people don't even like to eat breakfast, while others make it the largest meal of the day, and still others just like their cereal. That's all fine. Just be willing to adjust to see what works best.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Whatever you're hungry for. You could have rice, bread, cold cuts, eggs, yogurt, fruits, scone, muffin, cereal, leftovers from dinner... There's no right or wrong way to eat- literally every country has their own cuisine, and every person has their own eating habits and you just need to find what's easy and satiating for you. If the concept of "healthy" food actually applied, much of the world's population would have died out from lack of protein powder and apples centuries ago. :| Haaa.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    The last two mornings I had leftover grilled steak on a bagel thin with Alouette spreadable cheese. Yumm! As my nutritionist says nothing says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. Eat whatever you like.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have 3 eggs & turkey bacon every morning.. sometimes ill make an omlet or add a whole wheat english muffin, if you google healthy breakfasts there are so many different sites with options! good luck! :smile:

15188748.png
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I usually have fruit, plain yogurt and granola, because I enjoy it and it's easy, but sometimes I'll do fruit and oatmeal, or eggs, toast, and maybe some spinach--and fruit on the side if possible.

Heck, sometimes I'll be crazy and have belgian waffles, but only if I'm going to be active because they're calorie bombs and I can't fit them in easily otherwise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    If I ate breakfast, it would be steak and eggs every day. Okay, maybe Spam too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have you tried something low carb instead?

This is probably going to sound weird, but I have two boiled eggs and half an avocado chopped up and dressed with cider vinegar for breakfast. It is really filling and I don't need to snack before lunch time.

Eggs are good breakfast food. :)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Food for $400, Alex

OP, eat if you want......whatever you like

:flowerforyou:
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    a cup of strong black coffee
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Define "best".

Eat what you like as long as it helps you meet your goals. One of my favorite breakfasts was a breaded pork chop and a sliced up banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter. :drinker:
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    a cup of strong black coffee

This. And what everyone else said...eat whatever you want / whatever you are hungry for. Don't limit yourself to "traditional" breakfast food if you want a change.

I don't eat eggs, milk, or gluten, so regular breakfast foods are already a no-go for me. Usually I wait until mid-morning to eat, and have something like a turkey burger, chicken breast, sliced turkey, and a piece of fruit.

If I'm doing a workout that day, then I will eat oatmeal with nuts and fruit mid-morning, because it's easy to make at work and fills me up. I like the extra carbs on workout days.

I also LOVE miso soup for breakfast - with cubed tofu and spinach.

Last thing I want in the morning is to get all hopped up on sugar - I'd be a lump on the floor under my desk eating chips by 10am.
  • jessienomiko
    jessienomiko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Hungry Girl's growing oatmeal recipe, except that one recipe is enough for two servings IMO. I'll make it with chopped mango and reduced fat unsweetened shredded coconut and it's like a pina colada for breakfast.