How do you motivate yourself when you're tired?

Options
Hi all-

I'm really frustrated by my low energy! I want to exercise, and just commuting to and from work get about 45 minutes of walking in, but by the time I'm home, all I can think about is comfy pants and a lie-down. I'm so tired! Argh.

Replies

• crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I commute to work and it takes around 1.5 hours one way. By the time I get home, working out is definitely not on my mind!

Two things I've found works so far:
    1. trying to schedule my workouts in the morning, even if it means waking up much earlier
    2. even if I must workout in the evenings, if I'm really tired I set lower goals for myself - for example, I'll tell myself I'll only do half of my normal routine. Most times, by the time I'm halfway through, I don't want to stop cuz I'm already in my gear and all - so I just end up doing the whole thing. :D
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It's not about motivating yourself... just tell yourself it's happening.

Your second example is normally what I do... I'll wake up, say no. tell myself it's time to go... get there... and once I am at the gym, things are different... I am awake, I can think clearly... end up doing a 1-2 hour workout... then work... you feel so much better about it then.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What works for me is getting up earlier, doing my workout before the rest of my day starts. I'm still tired, but it gets done.

What works for other people is doing it straight after work. Either going home via the gym, or going straight out for a run, or getting changed and getting that dvd on or whatever - straight away. Before you make dinner, before you have time to sit down (or lie down) and watch tv. Make it a non-negotiable thing - almost like it's still part of your working day. You don't get to sit down until it's done. Don't give yourself the time to talk yourself out of it.

Right now, it's a habit to get home, put comfy pants on and lie down. You need to create a new habit in its place! Make yourself do it until it becomes routine, until it's just what you do at that time of the day.

(Also, make sure you're eating enough, sleeping enough, getting good nutrition etc and give yourself a break sometimes too - if you're not used to doing a lot of exercise, build up your fitness gradually so you don't burn out all at once.)

ETA: I also do that thing mentioned above. I have certain "bare minimums" that I'll do if I'm particularly tired/depressed/demotivated. So, If I'm going for a run, I make sure I run x number of km, or x number of minutes so I feel it's worth it (the minimum has increased a little over time as I've increased the amount I run in general.) If I'm lifting weights (which is not my most loved activity) I'll tell myself I'll do at least x number of sets for each body part, so at least it has been worth going into the gym. And of course, frequently, I end up doing more than the bare minimum.
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    These are the things that help me.

Decide when you are going to exercise during the week. That is an appointment with yourself. So nothing less than an emergency should stop you from going.. My unbreakable rule.. no matter what crap is going on in my life. DO NOT BREAK ROUTINE. Do not break routine. do not break routine..(Even if you go to the gym and half *kitten* your workout) Do not break routine.. Now obviously there are a few things in life that do justify a change.. but I quickly reschedule my workout and that is my unbreakable routine. Also if you are doing it after work.. Get into your gym clothes as soon as possible.. maybe even before you leave for work. I workout in the morning so before I even leave my bedroom I am in my gym clothes. It makes a big difference because on weekends when I go in the afternoon, I see myself trying to talk myself out of exercising. Unless I have my clothes on. Try keeping a positive attitude too. Exercising is a privilege not a punishment. :o)
  • rbinms
    rbinms Posts: 6
    Options
    A lot of good suggestions here. I was like you. I'd come home, change into comfy clothes and then veg for the rest of the afternoon evening. Day after day after day.

What I started doing is coming home and getting changed into my workout clothes right away. At first, I'd still procrastinate and walk around the house doing other things and then eventually go do my workout. Now, it's right away. Come home, put my lunch bag on counter, kiss the girlfriend, go change and then into my workout. Even if I don't feel like it, I still have a bare minimum of a 10 minute walk on the treadmill.....which is my warmup. Usually though, that will get the endorphins going and I want to do more.

The key is to change your habit of coming home and getting comfy. It won't be easy the first day or two but it will eventually become either a habit or a craving. You can get comfy after a workout and a nice long shower. Just remember these words that I saw online somewhere "Something never said......I sure do regret doing that workout" Start slow and just work your way up from there. A little bit of a workout is better than no workout at all.

One other thing....make sure you're staying hydrated!!! Dehydration is a major contributor to fatigue! General rule of thumb.....1/2 oz of water per lb of body fat (150 lbs would be 75 oz of water). I'm 250 lbs and drink about 1 to 1-1/2 gallons of water a day. You can also tell by looking at your urine. Dark yellow with a smell....dehydrated. Light yellow.....borderline. Clear or slightly pale....Good!

Hope this helps!!
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Habit. It's just so easy to rationalize when you are tired, out of sorts. The only thing that has worked consistently for me is for there not to be a choice, that it's simply what I do because that's the habit. Takes time to establish but once it's normal it's vatly easier than breaking a 'lazy' habit.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Habit. It's just so easy to rationalize when you are tired, out of sorts. The only thing that has worked consistently for me is for there not to be a choice, that it's simply what I do because that's the habit. Takes time to establish but once it's normal it's vatly easier than breaking a 'lazy' habit.

Agreed.

There have been days I've been really tired and wanted to just sleep in. However, it's gotten to a point where I can't get back to sleep because of the routine I've created. My body want more sleep, but my brain is saying "Let's GOOOOO!"
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I agree w/some of the other posters. Working out is now just considered part of my daily routine, just like going to work. I generally prefer working out in the morning, because then I can just come home after work and relax without needing to get my workout in. It can be a little difficult to wake up earlier than normal at first, but I found that I got used to it pretty quickly.

Another thing that helps me is doing a program with a set calendar. For example, right now I am doing a program called Tapout XT. Since it's scheduled for me, it makes me feel more accountable, as it is kind of glaring if I miss a day. You could even use a system like this without a set DVD program. You could maybe try writing down your planned workouts on a calendar and then cross them out when you complete them for a day. That kind of thing helps keep me accountable at least :) It's satisfying to check off the daily workout.

Good luck :)
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I come on here and read the status updates of my friends and that motivates me. I tell myself that If I want to change I have to get my lazy butt off the couch and do something.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No matter how tired, I go directly to the gym from work. Even though I drive right past my house, I don't stop. There are times when I'm tired that I will go in and think that I may cut it short, but once I get started, I seem to generate the energy I need and I don't want to stop.

It is the same with hunger. I sometimes think that I should eat first and then wait a couple hours to workout, but once I start to workout, the hunger disappears.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't go home after work. I go right to the Y or to the local park to run. Lord knows, if I go home, I'm done...dinner, housework, homework, family...they take precedence when I'm there. I need to be away from home to get my "me" time in.

So, after work, I drive straight to my pre-selected workout place. Sure, I'm tired, but I don't even think about it.

Let me be clear, I have made the mistake of skipping my workout to go home first, and I've regretted it every time.
    I have never regretted a single workout!
    :smile:
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    With regard to my workouts.. I have schedule.. and unless I am sick.. I don't miss. Tired, grumpy or otherwise I just go. I just don't make "not going" an option!
  • mwynn210
    mwynn210 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! All of you have given me some great suggestions and advice! Enough to motivate me to "just do it"!

I really appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread - and to helping me start meeting my goals! :happy: