Am I doing it right?

Options
I am 5'3 and started at a weight of 245lbs, I am a home school student who pretty much lives on a computer all day. But I recently have started working out almost everyday for the past 6 days. I have tried to burn at least 1,000 calories daily and eat about 1330 calories. I have tried losing weight before but have failed because I've focused on what I ate way to much and would end up eating to little. But now I have been eating what I normally eat just in smaller portions and have added green smoothies to my diet. I weighed my self yesterday morning just out of curiosity and the scale shows I have lost 10 lbs, is that even possible? For moment I thought it was just water weight but I've been drinking a lot of water so I don't think that's it. I don't want to focus to much on what the scale tells me but on how I feel and how my clothing is fitting. Can anyone please tell me if what I'm doing will give me good results? I don't just want to lose weight I want to make it a lifestyle, to eat right and be physically active.

Replies

• beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible, but from your story it means you're only netting about 300 calories a day!

I just worry that this is unsustainable.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you are really only eating 1330 calories a day and working off 1,000 calories, you are eating way too little!! Eating 1330 calories a day would be low even with no exercise. Don't burn yourself out. You want this to be a lifestyle change.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but if you burn at least 1000/day, you should probably eat more.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible, but from your story it means you're only netting about 300 calories a day!

She's eating back the exercise calories. So that's fine. But I'd wonder if you're really burning 1,000 calories a day. You're logging some really high numbers for sometimes not a lot of exercise. If you stop losing that's where I'd look to first, but for now if it is working for you then I'd say it is fine. You don't actually need to try and burn 1,000 calories a day either - that's an awful lot.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

She's eating back the exercise calories. So that's fine. But I'd wonder if you're really burning 1,000 calories a day. You're logging some really high numbers for sometimes not a lot of exercise. If you stop losing that's where I'd look to first, but for now if it is working for you then I'd say it is fine. You don't actually need to try and burn 1,000 calories a day either - that's an awful lot.

Where do you see that she's eating back her exercise calories? Her food diary doesn't look like she is.

Though I'll agree that those elliptical burns are likely inflated. OP, unless you're using a well-calibrated HRM to get those burns, you're like only burning 50-75% of that.
  • klreiland
    klreiland Posts: 14
    Options
    Keep in mind that all of our bodies burn calories on a daily basis, even if we were to never leave our beds. Our bodies burn calories when digesting food, circulating blood, blinking, etc. You can calculate your BMR to determine what someone your age, height, and weight burns without even moving.

There are additional formulas you can use to determine the number of calories you would need to consume just to maintain weight (These formulas factor your BMR and your amount of physical activity).

Some people say you should aim to eat the number of calories that is your BMR. You would still have a deficit based on your level of physical activity. Be cautioned that you don't want to eat too little because then your body can go into starvation mode and begin eating away at your muscle.
  • NewLifestyle095
    NewLifestyle095 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    But I thought in order to lose weight you need to burn more calories then what you eat? My calorie intake is based on what MyfitnessPal has recommended for me. I do 60 minutes on a elliptical which according to MyFitnessPal is 1,000 calories burned based on my weight and I sometimes walk on the treadmill or walk my dog which adds additional calorie burned. Also do keep in mind that I'm sitting on a computer for the majority of my day, I work out a couple hours after I eat dinner, so around 7 to 8 P.M.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    When you talk about burning more than you eat, you have to take into account the calories that your body is burning just keeping itself alive (your BMR) as well as all of the calories you burn doing everyday tasks like sitting at a computer, brushing your teeth, etc (your NEAT).

You can lose weight while burning off every calorie that you eat in exercise, but you will have a greater risk of injury, sickness, vitamin deficiencies, muscle loss, hair loss, etc. It's not sustainable and it's not very healthy. Read through the Sexypants guide you were linked to above. Then read all of the linked posts that it contains and see if you can set yourself a more reasonable goal.
  • klreiland
    klreiland Posts: 14
    Options
    First of all, you should figure out your BMR (Google BMR Calculator- http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) Your BMR is the energy (calories) that you spend on every day body functions if you were to never leave your bed.

Then there is another calculation you can do, the Harris Benedict Calculation. This uses your BMR and your activity level to determine just how many calories you would need to consume in order to maintain your current weight.

Losing weight is science. If you use more energy (calories) than you consume, then you will lose weight. Every 3500 calories is equal to one pound. So start building a deficit.

Also, don't go below 1200 calories a day or you will put your body into hibernation mode which is not good for you.

I used a formula to figure out what my daily calorie goal should be if I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week. I stay under that. (I also adjust it as my weight adjusts).
  • ZuriMarie
    ZuriMarie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First off, I understand what you are trying to do. I think that it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what works for you.

Figure out what a healthy calorie goal is for you based on your weight/height/age by searching a calorie calculator. I adjusted mine just a few so I could be reasonable. I currently aim for 1550 and have been maintaining weight loss as well as not feeling like I'm starving.

Also set reasonable workout goals so that you don't get burned out or feel discouraged. I only aim for twice a week because I'm a beginner.

After my first 30 days (I'm on day 22) I'm going to drop to 1475 and 3 workouts a week. I also did a lot of research and trial and error to find the types of foods I like. I pack a big spinach salad and low fat dressing for lunch every day to go with whatever meal I'm having so that I feel full. I also load up on steamed veggies at dinner.

You have to set your goals realistically so that you actually stay on track. Count your small victories and stay motivated. Jumping in too deep will be hard to maintain and will make you feel like a failure.

I hope this helps!

Add me!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Where do you see that she's eating back her exercise calories? Her food diary doesn't look like she is.

Though I'll agree that those elliptical burns are likely inflated. OP, unless you're using a well-calibrated HRM to get those burns, you're like only burning 50-75% of that.

Whoops! You're totally right! She's not. Then definitely doing it wrong!
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of going balls to the wall... you should start slowly... set up your calories to be reasonable... 1200 calories is almost never reasonable. I would focus on setting your goals small... achieve one and move to a bigger one. When I started I focused just on my diet... then added 30 mins of exercise daily... then I built on it from there... too many people try to go all in and then they wonder why they can't achieve their goals...

There's nothing wrong with being determined; but slow and steady always wins in the end!

I would reset your calories to losing .5/1lb per week... and build on your workouts. It takes me a little over 2 hours at the gym to log in 1000 calories burned... yes I weigh less... but you'd have to be going hardcore at 100% and...I learned by wearing a HRM that you never really burn as many calories as you think or as the machines will tell you...

My advice would be to start slow and stay committed. Believe in yourself and make small changes that you can live with...so your weight loss will last.

Best of luck!! :)
  • NewLifestyle095
    Options
    Okay so my BMR is 1,932.25 times my activity level which is 1.55 equals 2994.98 which is the calories I should consume in order to maintain my weight but since I want to lose weight and I'm working out I should consume 2994.98 calories? Or more depending on how much calories I burn? I'm really confused..
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Okay so my BMR is 1,932.25 times my activity level which is 1.55 equals 2994.98 which is the calories I should consume in order to maintain my weight but since I want to lose weight and I'm working out I should consume 2994.98 calories? Or more depending on how much calories I burn? I'm really confused..

If 2995 is your TDEE then you would want to eat around 2400 calories for weight loss. Really, anything below 2995 should let you lose weight. If you included your exercise in your activity level (and you should) then you do not need to eat more on the days that you exercise. If you figured this without taking exercise into account then you do add back calories after you exercise.
  • NewLifestyle095
    Options
    Whoops I calculated it wrong, I used 245 as my weight, I'll recalculated it. But thank you really helped me out! So on the days I don't work out I should consume less calories?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Whoops I calculated it wrong, I used 245 as my weight, I'll recalculated it. But thank you really helped me out! So on the days I don't work out I should consume less calories?

It depends on how you're calculating your goal. If you use MFP as intended, then you need to log your exercise here and eat back at least a portion of the calories you burn (I still think your elliptical burns are too high).

If you use this method that we tend to call TDEE - 20%, where you calculate your maintenance calories and eat around 20% less than you'd need to maintain your weight, then you do not need to eat extra calories on your workout days because they're already factored into your TDEE.

This link is contained in the Sexypants guide you were given above, but here it is again in case you haven't read it yet. This should help to explain the two different methods commonly used to figure your calorie goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • NewLifestyle095
    Options
    Yeah I agree with the calories burned on the elliptical, I was going based on what MyfitnessPal tells me. According to the elliptical machine I burn around 665 calories in 60 minutes.