Hunger after just eating?

Options
RiniSixxx
RiniSixxx Posts: 54 Member
Is it normal to eat breakfast >then workout >then eat soon after>then about an hour to 2 hours later i feel super hungry. This only happens after I've worked out. The lunch i ate would normally fill me up on days i don't workout, i makeup the calories burned later in the day btw.

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you are thirsty? Both are very similar.
  • RiniSixxx
    Options
    Could it be that you are thirsty? Both are very similar.

I drink 3-4 cups of water right after and some during
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    This happens when I was eating carbs. Porridge for breakfast -> hungry in two hours. More protein and fat -> not hungry until dinner. Might be something you could try.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always heard if you are hungry right away it could be either too much protein, too much carb or too little water.

If too much protein you are hungry quickly. If too much carbs you are hungry and light-headed.

Water intake should be continuous. Not all at one time but I think you are still ok on the water.
  • Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here's a rhetorical question.... why are you eating breakfast before you workout? Have some water and get your workout done....THEN have your breakfast.

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

A fasting workout will only make me pass out. I've tried it. Several times. Same result with both lifting and cardio. I need to eat before I work out. I personally do not advise fasting workouts.

My pre-workout meal usually high carb (oatmeal) and my post-workout meal is high protein and fat. (chicken on a green salad with cheese and nuts). Also, as others have said push the water. I have found that this combo keeps me satisfied. So perhaps it's not what you're eating but when you are eating it. Perhaps on your workout days you need to change up what you eat post workout to include more protein/fat to keep you satiated longer.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    This only happens to me when swim. It's awful. If I swim in the morning before work, I could eat all day and feel like I am hungry all day.
  • RiniSixxx
    Options
    Here's a rhetorical question.... why are you eating breakfast before you workout? Have some water and get your workout done....THEN have your breakfast.

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

A fasting workout will only make me pass out. I've tried it. Several times. Same result with both lifting and cardio. I need to eat before I work out. I personally do not advise fasting workouts.

My pre-workout meal usually high carb (oatmeal) and my post-workout meal is high protein and fat. (chicken on a green salad with cheese and nuts). Also, as others have said push the water. I have found that this combo keeps me satisfied. So perhaps it's not what you're eating but when you are eating it. Perhaps on your workout days you need to change up what you eat post workout to include more protein/fat to keep you satiated longer.

Yes, a fasting workout would make me lightheaded., so no not rhetorical. how about being helpful and not a sarcastic *kitten* on the forum. Some of us are knew at this. (@Size)

(@Rkunk) I will try that out, thanks. I generally eat SOMETHING to keep me ok before working out. Then after i eat whatever is nearby, and that happens to be subway so i normally grab a salad, sometimes a sub because i do feel faint afterward. I'll try more protein/fats after.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

That is a horrible suggestion. You should definitely fuel your workouts beforehand so that you have good energy to work hard.

I have a fruit smoothie because it has carbs and no fat and low fiber. Anything with fat and/or fiber can make some people feel sick during a workout. Then after you work out, you should eat some carbs and protein within 45 minutes to refuel. This is especially important if you are lifting weights.

If you are hungry, truly hungry, you should FUEL your body. That's what hunger (true hunger) means.
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much hungry all the time. Although eating more protein has helped it to be more tolerable. Also, I always do a fasting workout since I workout right after I wake up in the morning. I cannot imagine eating then working out...I'm sure I would get sick.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You should definitely fuel your workouts beforehand so that you have good energy to work hard.
    +1. Fuel your workouts. :)
  • RiniSixxx
    Options
    I always heard if you are hungry right away it could be either too much protein, too much carb or too little water.

If too much protein you are hungry quickly. If too much carbs you are hungry and light-headed.

Water intake should be continuous. Not all at one time but I think you are still ok on the water.

With too much of either macro? I was unaware. I get up at 7:30am and eat Egg whites, a little cheese, in a soft taco size healthier tortilla. then i workout at 9-10 and the eat lunch at 10:30 since i'm feeling faint. Today it was a small turkey/ham sub on wheat at subway. I figured that was alright. but an hour later my stomach was growling. The 4 cups of water is cumulative of my during workout water and my after workout water, should it be higher?

I should also mention that my workouts are Physical Therapy but it's circuit training and im sweating the whole time.
  • RiniSixxx
    Options
    I'm pretty much hungry all the time. Although eating more protein has helped it to be more tolerable. Also, I always do a fasting workout since I workout right after I wake up in the morning. I cannot imagine eating then working out...I'm sure I would get sick.

I think the gap between waking up and my workouts a little too large for me to not eat. Just for me personally.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

That is a horrible suggestion. You should definitely fuel your workouts beforehand so that you have good energy to work hard.

Sorry, had to say something to this. There is NOTHING wrong with working out fasted. Many people do it, including myself. I workout at 6am and I only eat around 6pm. I eat only between 6pm and 10pm. Not a single calorie goes in my body outside those 4 hours. By the time I hit the gym I haven't had anything to eat in 8hrs and I won't eat anything before 12 hours after. My workouts and energy levels are fine. In fact my energy level is way up there, much more then when I use to eat before working out or multiple meals a day.

Now to get back to OP, do you drink enough overall? do you eat enough throughout the day?

You know, if you are hungry (and I mean really hungry, most people THINK they are, but really it's just their body being used to eating, not the hunger itself) then eat! Some people require more calories in the morning, others at night, and other like me can eat their whole calories in 4 hours before going to bed. Every body is different.
  • RiniSixxx
    Options

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

Sorry, had to say something to this. There is NOTHING wrong with working out fasted. Many people do it, including myself. I workout at 6am and I only eat around 6pm. I eat only between 6pm and 10pm. Not a single calorie goes in my body outside those 4 hours. By the time I hit the gym I haven't had anything to eat in 8hrs and I won't eat anything before 12 hours after. My workouts and energy levels are fine. In fact my energy level is way up there, much more then when I use to eat before working out or multiple meals a day.

Now to get back to OP, do you drink enough overall? do you eat enough throughout the day?

You know, if you are hungry (and I mean really hungry, most people THINK they are, but really it's just their body being used to eating, not the hunger itself) then eat! Some people require more calories in the morning, others at night, and other like me can eat their whole calories in 4 hours before going to bed. Every body is different.

I wish i knew what type i was! :/
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Some people can work out without eating beforehand, but I find I have a lot more stamina if I eat a little something like a protein bar and have a cup of coffee before I go to the gym.

Do you eat back your exercise calories? It's possible that depending on the frequency and/or intensity of your workouts you're not eating enough. It might be worth double checking a calorie calculator to make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This only happens to me when swim. It's awful. If I swim in the morning before work, I could eat all day and feel like I am hungry all day.

Me too! Any other exercise seems to curb my hunger while the morning swim makes me so hungry. I always have breakfast beforehand too.