The Turn Around Point

Options
Hello everyone, I'm just getting back into working out but I would like to hear your story, the "turn around point" for you. What was the one thing that made you decide that your getting your health & weight under control? Please inbox me with your answers and add me as a friend too. IIt's hard to get to the community board through my phone app but I can get to my emails.

Thank you so much for responding back & adding me. :) "I'm thinking ahead"

Replies

• puffinbrae
    puffinbrae Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Turn around point for me was my daughter's graduation. I took one look at the photographs and realised that my baby was 21 years old and so was my baby weight!! There were a couple of pics that caught my normally camera shy body from angles I'd never seen before - not pretty! Back fat, side rolls, chins and more chins! Well I had no choice really! That was a year and 11kg ago. I'm not going fast but I'm going in the right direction and MFP is my new best friend :smile:
  • danamcox
    danamcox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In February 2012, I was in my doctor's office and he noticed that my blood pressure was really high. He looked back in my chart and saw that it has always been high and said to me, "You're on BP medication, right?" I said, "No." He asked if I had ever had an EKG in his office. I said, "No." (I was a relatively new patient to him, but not new to his practice.) He insisted that we do the EKG right then. When done, the results on the print-out read, "Abnormal. Probable old infarction." He asked if I ever had a heart attack. I said, "No, not that I am aware." He ordered blood work, wrote me a prescription for the BP medication and a referral to a cardiologist, and said the words that still ring in my head, "It's a wonder you're not dead." That was it for me.

I went home, told my husband to set up my treadmill (that was folded up in our bedroom from the last time I used it in 2001), found MFP and, by the following week's appointment with the cardiologist, I had lost 4 pounds. Still have about 40 to go, but I'll get there eventually.

Good luck to you!
  • KristinKory
    KristinKory Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Turn around point for me was 1. My two little girls - a lethargic blob just wasn't going to cut it....they needed an energetic, fun mommy who can keep up with them and 2. When I started hiding from the camera because I could not stand how big I looked in pictures. My "fit self" was trapped in my unhealthy body and slowly, but surely it's breaking free. ;)
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I realized my baby boy was 4 months old and even though I'd gone right back down to pre-pregnancy weight after having him, over those 4 months, I'd gained back 25 pounds and weighed only 5 pounds less than the day before I gave birth to him and was the largest I'd ever been while not pregnant.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Probably when my size 26 jeans were getting tight.
    (currently a size 16)
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Last year the death of seven relatives in seven months, including my mom and dad eleven days apart.

If not now, when?

Took many, many, many tries to get back to the routine of exercising and eating better. Fall down seven, get up eight. Finally found my groove, down 10lbs as of today.
  • elydotap
    elydotap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience during a health screening done by my insurance company. My triglycerides and blood sugars were considered high risk and borderline high risk for diabetes.

I saw my GP that next week and was referred to this web site.

Did I mention I also have a BMI of 27.9.

Bad news all around. Time to get into some exercise and lose some weight (a lot of weight). First day went well. Having to write every thing I eat down really helped me.

Good luck to us all
  • stacyg1979
    stacyg1979 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    To be graphic when I put on my XL undies and they rolled down below my round belly... because they were too small.... and I was not pregnant......

That walk of shame..... Priceless
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    To be graphic when I put on my XL undies and they rolled down below my round belly... because they were too small.... and I was not pregnant......

That walk of shame..... Priceless

btdt

quite an "omg" depressing moment, isn't it?
  • stacyg1979
    stacyg1979 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For real, it was horible!
  • nofoodforthemood
    Options
    I was sick of living by binging daily.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!