Do you weigh your pizza???

Options
bellevie86
bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
Like when you order pizza and have the nutritional guide....Do you just eat 3 pieces and log those 3 according the site. Or do you
weigh and eat according to the serving (grams).....

Cause I just ordered pizza and according to them an average medium slice is 125 grams, but when weighed some were only 90 some grams. So instead of 3 pieces being 375 grams, took about 4 1/2 to equal 375 :S

So which do you folks go by?

Replies

• bellevie86
    Options
    Bump! Anyone???
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I literally weigh everything but I've never weighed a slice of pizza before.

I think I'm gonna start doing it just for curiosity sake. And accuracy, too.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    Right??? I want to make sure I'm getting all the bang for my buck, so why short myself....Although, it could go the other way too like some packaged food!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Never weighed pizza... good idea though
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've weighed mine before. It's surprising how much they weigh, compared to how they look.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Next time I eat a slice, I'm dropping that sucker on the scale!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood :) I have found the same thing, a slice often weighs less. But I also figure the macros aren't really accurate either since each piece doesn't have the same amount of ingredients on it.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    Depends on my mood :) I have found the same thing, a slice often weighs less. But I also figure the macros aren't really accurate either since each piece doesn't have the same amount of ingredients on it.

Touche! I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not shortchanging myself, last meal of the day you know ;)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the weight in grams was given as pre-cooked or after bake?

I work part time @ Dominos and normally make my own food. That way I can make sure the right amount of ingredients go on the pizza. Like a medium cheese w/ 1 topping is supposed to get 5 oz cheese. (There are guides on the makeline & scales, as a business they don't want to overtop as it means less profit and don't want to undertop as customers would not be happy.)

I personally am not sure about Dominos, if the guide is before or after cooking weight.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love pizza too much to take the time to weigh it.
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just to play devils advocate here..... If you aren't weigning the individual ingredients I dont think it will make that big of a difference. For instance is that extra weight from bread or cheese? Maybe it was heavy on the veggies and light on the meat. :laugh:

Without knowing where the discrepancy is just weighing it isn't necessairly going to give you the right calorie count.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I weight myself. Eat the pizza. Weight myself the next day. Subtract the difference.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    no
  • bellevie86
    Options
    LOL, well this one didn't have veggies....I know bad bad bad. But yeah, you're right. No way of knowing. I just to pick the ones that look average and not smothered in cheese :)
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I weight my pizza, but it is really a guess. I do over estimate cals though.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that big of a deal (assuming this is a once awhile kind of deal and not every day for dinner). Everything is an estimate to begin with and if you are being consistent with your logging and eating/netting your cal goal, then I think it doesn't matter for the big picture.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    I wonder if the weight in grams was given as pre-cooked or after bake?

I work part time @ Dominos and normally make my own food. That way I can make sure the right amount of ingredients go on the pizza. Like a medium cheese w/ 1 topping is supposed to get 5 oz cheese. (There are guides on the makeline & scales, as a business they don't want to overtop as it means less profit and don't want to undertop as customers would not be happy.)

I personally am not sure about Dominos, if the guide is before or after cooking weight.

This is why I like to make my own food. I work at a restaurant too and still bring my own. If I do use something from work they all look at me like im nuts if I go in the freezer or whatever to look at the label! lol
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had pizza for dinner tonight... it was really good, the best I've had since I worked in the Bronx. The thought never even crossed my mind to weigh it... would I have measured the cheese separate from the crust and reassembled?

If I make my own, I weight each thing that goes on it and divide by the number slice. But from a pizzeria, nope, I just enjoy the cheese goodness.:happy:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's ironic that I tell people on MFP to weigh and measure their food, but I have never once considered weighing a slice of pizza.

OP, honestly, it there is that big of a discrepancy in weight, then it's safe to assume the weight is pre-cooked weight. I don' know this for a fact, though.

I just eat the 3 slices and go by the website.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 300 lbs. and never weighed a single slice of pizza yet and don't plan to start now... lol