is this good or bad?

Options
I started my diet 2 weeks ago. I have started walking almost everyday- at least 1.5 miles, up to 2.5. Sit up/crunches, jumping jacks, tried different workouts on the TV. I don't eat nearly as much as I usually do. I drink water or green tea-one soda since the diet. I started my diet at 192.2, next week I was 195! I weighed myself today and I was 193. Is this good.. bad... Idk what I'm supposed to expect!! Lol any insight is appreciated :)

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I guess I would prefer to see 1-2lbs of loss. If you open up your diary, so we could see what you're supposed to eat and actually eating on a daily basis, that might help us make more insightful comments. :)

Also, is this a temporary diet, or changes you can commit to long term?
  • 55amanda
    55amanda Posts: 15
    Options
    Sorry! I didn't even know about the privacy setting lol should be able to view now. I'm on this diet for a lifestyle change. So I'm trying to make everything I learn be a lifelong commitment.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started my diet 2 weeks ago. I have started walking almost everyday- at least 1.5 miles, up to 2.5. Sit up/crunches, jumping jacks, tried different workouts on the TV. I don't eat nearly as much as I usually do. I drink water or green tea-one soda since the diet. I started my diet at 192.2, next week I was 195! I weighed myself today and I was 193. Is this good.. bad... Idk what I'm supposed to expect!! Lol any insight is appreciated :)

I glanced through your diary. Some days you are over (including exercise calories), other days you didn't log everything. So you COULD be underestimating how much you are eating. AND since you just started working out pretty vigerously, you might be packing on some water weight as your muscles repair themselves. Water weight will go away with time.

I recommend logging accurately everyday, and only eat back 50% of your exercise calories. Try that for a month, then go back through your diary and calculate your TDEE.

I think the equation is for TDEE = {calories consumed total / (pounds lost x 3500)} / time period in days.

ETA: check out these links:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+accurately
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It takes longer than two weeks to notice any fat loss by scale because of your body's tendency to retain water at different levels (which can easily mask any actual fat loss over such a short period of time). You really need to be consistent with your diet for a couple of months before you will see any clear results by scale.

In terms of your approach if you are eating less and exercising more that is certainly the right direction to be headed. How successful you will be with weight loss comes down to your calories in (how much you eat calorically) versus your calories out (how much your body burns in calories).

If you track your calories and are honest about it, hit a goal number of calories that is below the amount that you expend then you will lose weight, you just have to give it time.
  • SwiitiPi
    SwiitiPi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know my first week of getting back in gear I ate healthy everything, went for long walks did the gym or a Blogilates video. I drank so much water but I gained five pounds. It pissed me off because my mom didn't do as much as me and lost 10. I found out later it was my hormones. My time of the month was coming. That might have something to do with it. But as long as you are feeling proud of the work you are doing don't let the scale pull you down.
  • 55amanda
    Options
    Thank u all for the advice. I'm still trying to tweak my diet and stay away from all the bad food I'm eating. I'm going to start buying my own food soon, which will help with my diet issues as of right now. And also I plan on having a vegetable garden, so that'll be nice for both an activity as well as providing me w/ healthy food :) how much should I try being below on my calories?
  • 55amanda
    Options
    And yes, I'm proud of what I'm doing... even if the scale isn't reading the way I want it to lol I have a lot more energy and I feel a bit thinner in places (whether its in my head is another matter lol) I'm gonna keep it up and keep improving :)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    how much should I try being below on my calories?
    As long as you set your goal accurately, MyFitnessPal's calorie target already builds in a deficit. You are thus best served by hitting or getting very close to your target rather than going way under. :)
  • 55amanda
    Options
    As long as you set your goal accurately, MyFitnessPal's calorie target already builds in a deficit. You are thus best served by hitting or getting very close to your target rather than going way under. :)

Ty for your response :)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

I agree. I aim to have less than 100 calories remaining.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Good job!!! Your sugar is set too high though and therein lies your problem. It should be set at 30 grams for your calorie amount. Fructose in sugar is not metabolized as glucose is and one, if not the main, cause of obesity.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Good job!!! Your sugar is set too high though and therein lies your problem. It should be set at 30 grams for your calorie amount. Fructose in sugar is not metabolized as glucose is and one, if not the main, cause of obesity.

Joanne Moniz

^This is false. Do not listen to this person. A surplus of calories causes weight gain, no matter where it comes from. Sugar, no matter what form it is in, does not cause obesity in and of itself. If you are below your calorie goal and do not have any medical issues, you have no reason to worry about sugar.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Joanne Moniz

No
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It's going to take a little more time to see any results. My scale jumps up sometimes as well, it's normal. Our weight can fluctuate day to day, it's nothing to worry about. Just be sure to weigh and measure all your foods, that's very important to ensure your really eating at a deficit. Then be consistent with logging everything. Your results will come, it just takes time :-)