Carbs before a race

Options
Hey Guys, I have a race on Sunday morning ~ I know a lot of people "carb load" before sporting events..... I am wondering which meals leading up to the event would be best to include more carbs to get the best out of it energy wise.. What would you suggest? My usual diet is pretty low carb (I don't deny myself, but I don't eat bread/pasta etc daily either.. I'm more of a meat & veg kinga girl). Thanks :)

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to carb load unless you are going marathon distance or longer. Change nothing on race day is a common phrase, and that includes eating patterns.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great post on race prep here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?page=10

He covers everything from a full marathon to a 5k, it's a good read. Good luck this weekend!
  • k_sinc
    k_sinc Posts: 39
    Options
    Great post on race prep here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?page=10

He covers everything from a full marathon to a 5k, it's a good read. Good luck this weekend!

Thank you for a helpful response!
  • k_sinc
    k_sinc Posts: 39
    Options
    You really don't need to carb load unless you are going marathon distance or longer. Change nothing on race day is a common phrase, and that includes eating patterns.

I've never heard that phrase before. I just know carbs = energy and I will need more energy for race day than on a regular day at my office job that's for sure!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I've never heard that phrase before. I just know carbs = energy and I will need more energy for race day than on a regular day at my office job that's for sure!

Glad to see the link above, it is a great resource.

Carb loading is something that is done over a period of time before the race, not just the night before. It is to fill the glycogen stores in your muscles, which is what your muscles use as energy. The thing is for shorter races, you aren't going to deplete those stores. There isn't any need to top up. Your regular diet will be just fine. As mentioned above, it isn't recommended to change anything drastically before a race. Even those who do carb load general practice ahead of time and know what their body can handle.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Thank you for a helpful response!
    Most welcome! I keep that one bookmarked and share it often - it really helped me out before my first race, answering a lot of my questions and calming my fears. :smile: