Gym Work Out Routines

Options
Hello All

I'm just starting to get serious about my health and fitness in preparation for my husband and I starting a family in the next year or so. I have a free membership to the gym at our college in town, and plan to use it 3 times a week. I went yesterday and used the Elliptical Machine as well as the "hill" setting on the stationary bikes. I worked out for about 30 minutes.

My question is, what routines are you doing in the gym and for how long? How often are you working out each week?

Thanks for all of your response in advance!

Elizabeth

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I usually do 1/2 hour stationay bike for warm up.
    Then lift weights - one day chest, back , arms, legs - depending on what day it is
    Then 1/2 hour ellipticle.

Tuesdays I do that plus step class
    Wednesday I do that plus core class
    Saturdays - step, core, circuits, elipticle

I'm usually at the gym for two hours - some times more depending on what else I have going on that day.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week. I get cardio every day. I take some type of class 4 times a week - yoga, circuit training, kickboxing, step aerobics. I also do strength training 2 times a week. And I walk my dogs every day for an hour.

I'm lucky I have the time to spend a couple hours a day at the gym but the most important thing is getting the exercise in. So do what you can so you're consistent - even if its 30 min every other day. On days you can't get to the gym try to incorporate some "natural" excercise into your day - park the car the farthest point in the lot to the building where you are going. Skip the elevator, clean the bathroom instead of watching mad men. That kind of thing.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hi and it is such a great feeling to be getting healthy isn't it?!

I belong to Planet Fitness and I do 10-15 minutes on the ARC trainer to get my heart rate up. I then spend the next 60-90 minutes doing strength training. I actually use every strength training machine they have - arms, legs, butt, abs... everything. I do 4 sets each with 10 reps. 30-60 second rest between each set. I then finish with 30 minutes on the elliptical doing the hill program.

I do the above twice a week. Then once a week after my Zumba class I go to the gym purely for strength training. IF I cannot make a Zumba class I try to put in an extra night at the gym doing 60 minutes cardio - combo elliptical and ARC trainer. In 3 months I lost 25 pounds doing that combined with healthy eating. Of course I gained 2 during the holidays but hope to lose that plus this week.

Forgot to mention that at home I also do Dance Central for a nice workout. Looking to get the EA Active for the kinect in the coming weeks as well.
  • rachelgrunst
    Options
    I am working out for the same reason :). My husband and I just joined a gym and when we joined we were given a free training session with a personal trainer. The trainer has me running on a treadmill or elliptical for either 2 miles or 20 mins (whichever comes first because some people run at different paces). Then she said to do some kind of abdominal exercise everytime. I get on a decline bench and do crunches with a weighted ball (3 sets of 12). Then I alternate working my arms one day, and my legs the next. The machines for arms and legs really do work well. I am usually in and out of the gym in 45 mins to 1hr. I hope this helps and gives you some ideas. Once these activities become easier challenge yourself to go a little bit longer or use heavier weights...Good Luck to you! :smile:
  • Martattu
    Options
    I do 45 min - 1 hour of Cardio 4-6 days a week. I have been working on the Elliptical lately but I switch machines every 30 - 45 days. (The switching thing was a recommendation from a trainer friend.) I TRY to lift weights about three times a week, but time constraints spoil that plan some weeks. I do SPIN class every Saturday morning .... I love it!! It is difficult but very rewarding!

Please know ..... this has been my general routine over the past year ..... I did NOT stick to this schedule from Thanksgiving through the first of the year. Time and weather became big factors! but I am back on this schedule and determined to get to my goal!!

Good Luck and may God bless your journey!!

Marsha
  • carlamorris
    carlamorris Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i started doing 30min on stationay bike then 30min on the elipticle.Afrter im done with cardio i work with the weights for 30 min .
    When my body got use to working out i bumped my work out to 30min on the bike and an hour on the ellipticle
  • katebjones
    katebjones Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well last year i participated in this weight loss challenge with my gym. it was an 8 week program and i lost 9.6 lbs and 7% of my total body fat. I was working out about 3 times a week for about an hour.. My trainer told me that 20-30 minutes of good interval cardio is great.. then the rest should be strength. i do 30 minutes on the ellipitical in the interval one.. for 30 minutes then i do a circiut training.. its strengh and cardio into one work out..

since my challenge i fell off the waggon now i am back.. so i was told by my trainer to lose one lb of fat.. you must burn 3500 calories/week. so for me thats working out 1 hour 5 times a week.. nuts.. im doing it!