Quick question regarding HCG

Options
My friend is taking it and she's eating only 500 cals a day. I stressed to her that she is starving herself and anyone can lose weight if they ate only 500 calories a day. The conversation got pretty heated.

So from what I have read and understood(but correct me if I'm wrong). HCG it suppose to release calories into bloodstream and switches things around in your body and supposed to use the fat in your body as fuel. Is that correct or am i wrong? If that is correct than what would happen if you ate normal and exercised on HCG? Would you lose weight more quicker?

Thanks

Replies

• iamkelskels
    Options
    I have no idea if what you said was correct about how it works, but I watched Celebrity Weight loss Secrets on TV last night, and a dietitian said that the HCG was not healthy at all, so I'd say you'd be correct in your assumption that she's starving herself. But that's just my opinion :/
  • coachniquenya
    coachniquenya Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet is a ridiculous resurgence of Dr. Simmone's book from decades ago. It actually does work but it is so dumb. Kevin Trudeau resurrected it in his book "The Weight Loss Cure". I read the book and it is ridiculous. No wonder he has sparked so much controversy. HCG is a pregnancy hormone that does switch your body mechanics around and essentially restarts your metabolism. It is dangerous and should be monitored. I don't advise it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    HCG, the "pregnancy" hormone, is supposed to cause the body to stop storing fat. That's why a lot of women, myself included, lose weight during the first and sometimes even second trimesters.

The idea behind the diet is that by ingesting HCG your body will start metabolizing fat for energy so you don't need to consume as much food. But, there's no proof this actually works since this is the same process your body goes through when it's being totally starved.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    There is a diet in this week Womens World that they work just as good as the hgg thing Some comented they losst 10 lbs. in the first week. No Oills or injecting. Just common food. Check it out. Calie
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in my second round of the HCG diet and it isn't starving yourself. I can understand why things got heated because its a highly sensitive and contraversial diet. You are correct that the hormone HCG, which is natrually produced in the body during pregnancy, tells the body to go to its fat stores for its energy, rather than the food in its belly. The diet does restrict calories to 500 per day, which is what people who haven't done it finds ridiculous (trust me, I was one of them). Surprisingly enough, while taking the drops correctly, you aren't hungry. I still have the same energy as I always do and I do cardio almost every night. I'm never hungry (though I do have sugar cravings - can't beat my sweet tooth into submission easily).

It's not a diet that everyone can or will want to do. But it DOES work for some people. It has worked for me in the past and it's fool-proof as long as you adhere to it. But, as I said, it's not for everyone. If it works for your friend, to each his own. With all respect, I'd encourage you not to judge her or condemn her as being unhealthy because it's just as tough for her as it would be if someone disagreed with your chosen diet.

It's great for those times when you plateau and need to get the scales moving again.

To answer your other question, this diet works because of the foods you are eating. It's not a blanket 500 calories you're allowed. It's 2 meals per day each consisting of items off very specific lists (i.e. a serving of your choice of approved protein, your choice of approved fruit, choice of veggy and either a melba toast or a grissini breadstick). Servings sizes depend on the fruit and veggie selected, so it can add up to a lot of food. These things need to be in balance for it to work. If you eat sugars and starches, even if you stayed under 500 calories, this diet wouldn't work. The drops and the diet are key. In all honesty, I had a huge salad for lunch that I couldn't even finish and had to pack it away for an afternoon snack (which I have yet to feel the need to eat).

That being said, there is a version of this diet that allows a good amount of working out, and increases the calorie limit to 750 per day. I think the extra 250 calories are supposed to be in protein and not the other categories.

If your friend is doing the diet, I assume she is doing it correctly. It isn't supposed to be done for longer than a certain amount of time because your body can become immune to the hormone.

My sister turned me onto this diet during a period in time when she wanted to lose weight before a historectomy. She was checking in with her doctor and surgeon, was honest with them about this diet, and they told her it would still be ok.

That's just one girl's opinion. But if it's working for your friend, you don't have to understand or approve of it. You can still be supportive of her decision. (I've had people tell me the same things, but I feel good, am healthy, not hungry, and it's working, so I always appreciate when a friend acknowledges it might not be for them, but supports me in my decision to proceed.)

Take care.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    There is currently no study that has proven that hCG helps you lose weight any faster than you would if you ate only 500 calories. Now as to whether or not hCG makes that king of ULCD healthier than normal, they are still doing studies to try and determine it. Like most things, you can find positive and negative research studies to prove you either right or wrong.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the money, since its possible to be completely successful without it.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It works! The first two days you stuff yourself and then you only consume 500 calories. Today was my 8th day and I have lost 9 pounds! Blessings Vickie
  • VickieMW
    Options
    Good Morning! Do a google search for Nisha Jackson and HCG and her website is awesome. It "GIVES" you all the information that you need to do this diet.

:flowerforyou:

Any time you have questions I am happy to help! This journey is so much better with friends! :) Vickie
  • VickieMW
    Options
    I have some questions if anyone can answer them. Please!

So here are some questions if you know the answers that would be great.
    1. Can I use or have you tried Truvia. It is made with Stevia?? But not all Stevia. Straight Stevia powder is nasty.
    2. Why can you only eat one kind of vegetable?
    3. Why can't you eat Green Beans and Zuchinni?? Or do you??

Nothing tastes as good as losing a pound feels! :) Gotta Love it!
    Blessings!