Low Calorie Bread(s)

Options
I used to enjoy having sandwiches...Tuna, PB (toast), PB&J, Egg salad, Lunchmeat, Grilled cheese etc.
Then I started noticing how many calories was in some bread, even if they were supposedly good for you.
I was wondering what you all have found that maybe I can look into.
Ive heard of Ezekiel bread (as talked about on the Dr Oz show) but the closest location is like 1 1/2 hrs away (w/out traffic).
On the show he said you could find them All over and theyre in all grocery stores but unfortunately the 2 grocery stores and WalMart doesn't carry it.
The last bread that I bought was Thomas Bagel Thins - 100% Whole Wheat (about 2 wks ago), but of the 6, Ive only eaten 1 because theyre still (IMO) quite high with 110 calories :frown:

Replies

• bryant28408
    bryant28408 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own - 100% Whole Wheat, 1 slice (26g /0.9oz), 60 per slice. It's still 120 for a sandwich but it's very tasty, whole grain and large enough that you feel like you are really eating a sandwich and not a snack. It's available at Walmart, Publix and other places too.
  • mspianomistress
    Options
    I love Alpine Valley 21 grain bread. It has a great nutty texture, is high in fiber, is organic, and only has 80 calories per slice.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm going to have to look for this next time I go out...http://www.healthylifebread.com/pages/original/100-whole-wheat-bread.php
    Healthy Life Original 100% Whole Wheat Bread...35 Calories Per Slice!
    That is worth making a sandwich!!
    Thank You All for your suggestions!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    I found this recipe using this bread!
    Recipes Using Healthy Life Products

Healthy French Toast Casserole

Ingredients
    6 slices Healthy Life Original Bread, torn into pieces
    4 egg whites and 1 egg, beaten
    2 cups skim or 1% milk
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/4 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients. Spray a 9x13 glass pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan and bake 45 minutes. Serve hot with light maple syrup.

Serves 6

Bread Crumbs
    Submitted by Brenda Sears of Baroda, MI

Ingredients
    4 slices Healthy Life Bread (any variety)

Directions:
    Cut each slice of bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Spread cubes evenly on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, and pop into oven for about 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool on platter for at least 1 hour before processing or storing. Cubes may feel a tiny bit soft when removed from oven but will harden during cooling time. To crumb, use a food processor or blender large enough to accommodate the amount you desire. A larger amount of cubes will crumb easier in processor than a small amount but do NOT overfill as you could damage your food processor. Store cubes or crumbs in gallon zippered storage bags, tightly sealed glass jar or plastic container until ready to use.

**If anyone tries this, Please let me know....sounds good!**
  • AnnBassham
    AnnBassham Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat Hiener's 35 I know it is basically emply calories but 2 slices is 70 calories and add a pack of budding pressed meat and I can have a sandwich for 160 calories.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options