Scared to eat almonds

Options
I know it sounds crazy, and before I wouldn't have thought twice, but I am afraid to eat a serving of almonds. I found almonds at my high end grocery store in a bulk bin in the whole food section. I was going to get some, and then I read the nutritional info on them. 1/4 cup serving is 17 grams of FAT!!! That scares me to death. Am I being a little too irrational? I mean I really try to keep my meals at no more than 15 grams and my snacks lower than that. Am I taking this too far?

Replies

• Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    your body needs natural fats. its processed fats you want to really watch out for. I wouldn't over-do the almonds (or any nuts for that matter) because they are high in fat, but in moderation they are very good for you.
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Almonds are a different type of fat. I can't tell you all the scientific terms behind it but the fat in almonds is good for you. They're actually the best nut for you. That said, you shouldn't eat 2 cups of almonds everyday because too much fat is bad for you no matter what kind but a handful a day is actually really good for you and they keep you full longer. They're an excellent snack!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what is right for you, but I know that almonds are a healthy food- even with the fat. If it fits in your goals, I say go for it! Just watch the portion.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    they are filled with around 3,573 mg of Omega 6! They are good for yuo actually! In other words..."good fat". Your body needs some fats to digest some vitamins. It really is okay. I just wouldn't eat the whole bag in one sitting. Make it a nice snack of say 14-23 kernals. They have some good Potassium too, around 200 mg, which is good for fighting against the sodium in our diets.

I say "eat up" and enjoy!
  • Reese2008
    Options
    It's GOOD fat though!! I did south beach after the birth of my son and ate raw almonds as a snack EVERY day...
  • fatjaws
    Options
    I agree, almonds can be a great snack in moderation. They hare very high in monosaturated fats which are the esstial fats your body needs and craves. The same fats are found in avocados and olive oil. I usally have a snack of about 10 almonds.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Almonds are pretty natural if you buy them without any additives (brown sugar, coating etc). Your body needs natural fats. Also they have a good amount of protein in them, which keeps you full longer, and breaks down in your body much slower than foods with sugar. Usually I will eat only 10-12 @ a time which fills me up and gives me about 50 calories and 1/3 of the fat.
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    Ha! So, check out this article on yahoo from last week:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-only-5-diet-rules-you-need-2431161

"The only 5 diet rules you need"
    1. Snack on almonds
    When salty cravings strike, bypass the pretzels or popcorn. In a study of 65 men and women who were following a low-calorie diet, California researchers found that those who noshed on the nuts shrank their waistlines nearly 50% more than dieters who didn't eat them, despite consuming the same number of calories. Likewise, Spanish researchers found that even without increasing exercise, a diet enriched with monounsaturated fatty acids (aka MUFAs, found in foods such as almonds and avocados) decreased the accumulation of abdominal fat, compared with a carbohydrate-heavy diet, which increased it.

;) Hope that helps!!!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Almonds have good fats! So enjoy a serving of them!
  • TheConsumerQueen
    Options
    Yep good fat just in moderation :)
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Almonds are so good for you! If you're worried about over eating them, but the Emerald Natural Almonds 100 calorie packs. Every morning I throw one in my bag for my mid morning snack. I found if I buy them loose, everytime i walk into my kitchen I grab a handful... Bad habit! :)
  • jppizana
    jppizana Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Here is a table of different nut types and their ratio of protien to fat. This might be helpful to you if you are looking for a good nut to eat. But like the ladies before me- yes, some fat in your diet, especially naturally accuring in nuts, is good for you.

Nut type (100grams) Protein Fat
    Chestnuts 1g .6g
    Cashew nuts 1g 1.5g
    Peanuts 1g 1.8g
    Walnuts 1g 11.5g
    Coconut 1g 11g
    Peanut Butter 1g 2.5g
    Almond 1g 2.6g
    Pistachio (with shells) 1g 3
    Hazelnut 1g 4.5g
    Brazils nuts 1g 4.8g
    Pine nuts 1g 4.9g
    Pecan nuts 1g 7.7g
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have "0" willpower so I buy the Emerald 100 cal packs of natural almonds. I don't have to worry about how the heck I ate a whole pound of almonds..:laugh: I just have 1 pkg at morning break every day.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have "0" willpower so I buy the Emerald 100 cal packs of natural almonds. I don't have to worry about how the heck I ate a whole pound of almonds..:laugh: I just have 1 pkg at morning break every day.

I was just gonna say that...the 100 calorie packs are just the right size. Almonds are terrific for you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I was just gonna say that...the 100 calorie packs are just the right size. Almonds are terrific for you!

One recommendation: make your own 100 calorie packs! I buy my almonds in bulk, then every once in awhile will measure out a bunch of 100 calorie servings (.17 to .18 oz) on my kitchen scale, and put those in little baggies. It is WAY less expensive than buying the pre-packaged snack packs, and really doesn't take very long.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options

One recommendation: make your own 100 calorie packs! I buy my almonds in bulk, then every once in awhile will measure out a bunch of 100 calorie servings (.17 to .18 oz) on my kitchen scale, and put those in little baggies. It is WAY less expensive than buying the pre-packaged snack packs, and really doesn't take very long.

This is so true. But I still have a ways to go to get to that point. I'm still at the one for the scale and 1 for the mouth stage.:blushing:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with my almonds. I will just keep on munching on them if I have the whole bag so it's MUCH safer for me to make my own serving packs. I buy the mini zip locks and just distribute the whole bag into those and when I need a snack or am on the go I can just grab one of those mini zips. Pretty fabulous and much cheaper than buying the already pre-made 100 cal snacks.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Your body with thank you for those natural fats and you will probably find that these natural omega fatty acids will reduce your cravings for high-fat, unhealthy options. Almonds are a great omega fatty acid source as well as lean protein.
  • CelesteHerrera
    Options
    Raw almonds and avocado.....both healthy fats! I love them both.!
  • ourhearts4home
    Options
    I second the raw almond note... Salted, not so good for you. But get raw almonds and enjoy them in moderation, great healthy fats and great in protein. A small handful midday will help your mood and blood sugar too!