HELP! In my 4th week and GAINED a pound!

Options
I'm getting really frustrated. I have been consistently losing the last month, and this week I gained a pound! I know everyone says to eat all of your calories or you won't lose, but I thought if you work off more than you take in, you will lose. I'm supposed to have 1750 cals per day, but I've been getting around 1400. I've also been burning about 250 cals during my workouts. I drank a lot of alcohol last Saturday (almost a week ago), but I didn't overeat, and I still gained 3 lbs! Thankfully, I've lost 2 of those pounds, but it's really discouraging me that I'm still up a pound from last week! I am over 300lbs, so I feel like I should be losing waaaaay more and not gaining! Please help!

Replies

• sja1227
    sja1227 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat myself and also want some answers. I am allowed just over 1400 calories per day and have only gone over once in the past three weeks, and by about 20 calories. I have been losing weight every week except for this week, where I've gained a pound back. How do I fix this? What's going on?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear...water retention can mask weight loss...

that being said tho how do you log? do you use a food scale?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This...

also your body can fluctuate daily. Sometimes as much as 5 lbs up or down.

Keep at it and have patience.
  • KaraBoo87
    KaraBoo87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I log everything, and use my food scale all the time.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Those calories sound low for your current weight. I suggest you eat all that MFP says, and eat back your exercise calories. Also make sure you drink plenty of water and weigh, measure and log everything you eat and drink.

Just stick with it and be patient. Try and look at your results overall, rather than focussing on one particular weigh-in.
  • leopardvice
    leopardvice Posts: 73
    Options
    take measurements! in the last two months ive been working out ALOT and watching what i eat, and ive only lost 5 pounds (on a good day) but ive lost 3 inches in my waist.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    take measurements! in the last two months ive been working out ALOT and watching what i eat, and ive only lost 5 pounds (on a good day) but ive lost 3 inches in my waist.

Agree with this also. Since I started lifting heavy I might have lost 1-2 lbs. I know I've lost inches though because pants are almost falling off.
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options

This...

also your body can fluctuate daily. Sometimes as much as 5 lbs up or down.

Keep at it and have patience.
    All of this. As long as you're logging your food and exercise accurately, you will lose weight in the long run. If you didn't overeat approximately 3500 calories during this week, there's no way the pound you just "gained" is 1 pound of fat. So relax, the weight gain is probably just some weird fluctuation. Your body may still be trying to adjust to your new diet and it may take more time than others do, but if you're eating at a deficit, you will get the results you want! Just be consistent, accurate and keep working. Good luck!
  • JessMonster84
    Options
    I needed to see this thread, mainly for people's responses to your predicament. I have been losing (although not as long as you) and was not encouraged when I hopped on the scale this morning. But to see people's posts saying it's not linear and weight will fluctuate helps and is very true. So, thank you to the people who posted those comments.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Reference this post

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101

Lots of good information there, hope it helps.
  • laurafaith1971
    laurafaith1971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking for about four months now. Two months ago I started noting when my cycle is. Have observed weight gain both months. That being said, sometimes I seem to gain for no apparent reason too. So interesting to pay attention to the relationships between eating, exercise and weight loss. Frustrating too!
  • KaraBoo87
    KaraBoo87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I will definitely take your advice!! I know I shouldn't worry about the # on the scale, but it's soooo hard!! Why did I have to make myself fat in the first place?! lol