You know you've got a good one when....

Options
A lot of threads focus on the crappy lack of support people's friends, sig others, family etc... offer during our journeys. This is not one of those. ;)

I switched to pescatarian about a month ago, additionally cutting out most dairy and grain. Basically eating fish and veg, and frankly I am by nature a bacon-cheesburger-atarian. This is killing me, but I did it so my joint swelling would go down and yay, it worked. A nice side effect is I am dropping weight.

I have two warm weather destination weddings to go to this summer, and had taped up three pages out of the Athleta catalogue on my wall with items to reward myself with if I hit each 10 pound goal. Well, things have been going very well, and my first goal came and, actually, went. I didn't give it much thought - the kids are getting ready for camp and I was far more focused on making sure they had their summer clothes and gear...and Athleta stuff is not cheap.

Well, mid week I got to my desk, and my husband had taken the catalogue page off the wall and put it on my keyboard - quietly reminding me that I had achieved my goal and should enjoy the small treat that I had earned. Bought myself two new fancy sports bras this week.

It's not always easy to remember to take care of yourself too. Very grateful to my DH for reminding me and celebrating my success.

Replies

• titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If someone has gone out of their way to make you feel good about your efforts, I'd love to hear about it.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If someone has gone out of their way to make you feel good about your efforts, I'd love to hear about it.

I can't say I have a significant other that has done something like that after completing a round of P90X or running a half marathon. I will say I enjoy it when someone who has not seen me in a while compliment how fit I look. Part of me wishes someone would do something similar to what your husband has done, but I can get by without and knowing I accomplished my goal.

Congratulations on your success and no doubt many more.
  • donnarogers6211
    donnarogers6211 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband has been very supportive. I have lost over a hundred pounds and I have excess skin everywhere. He is paying for a full body makeover to remove all the extra skin. I was shocked but he didn't even bat an eye about doing it.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    for every inch i lose... my hubs takes me to Lululemon to get a new outfit. This is only my waist mind you... so its getting harder to earn those damn things... but its all good!!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My husband is really supportive of me. I can't really think of one specific thing he's done, but he never tries to get me to eat something he knows I shouldn't be eating ("come on, one won't kill you") and he makes sure I know that he loved my body at 155 lbs, he loves it now, and he'll love it when I reach my goal. He's bulking right now, so we're really supportive of each other. I just tell him to not get too hot for me, to which he says, "impossible." He's pretty great. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    That is a very sweet story! Thanks for sharing :-)

My husband has been great all along. I think his positive influence in ALL ways is what has helped me along the way. One thing I love is that he pushes vegetables hard in our house. He does a lot of the cooking, and incorporates so many veggies and fresh spices that I might leave out if I were cooking. He helps me stay on track with exercise, always suggesting fun outings or walking to the store etc...and I try to do the same for him as well. BUT he's the first to suggest grabbing ice cream, too. It's a great balance that works for us :-)
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My BF is very supportive of everything I do but my favorite thing is he goes to all my races with his super fancy camera and takes pics of me running. My ex never supported me in my running so it is nice to have someone who is supportive about it
  • titianwasp
    Options
    This is totally making me smile. Reading the rant posts motivate me, but stories like these restore my faith in humanity, lol. Please keep them coming. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend goes out of his way to notice and remark on all the minuscule changes in my body. Of course, it's also a good way to get me naked :tongue: He's been the most supportive human on the planet...makes me feel absolutely loved and accepted just the way I am, but he also delights in the positive changes in my body at the same time. He even runs my Zombies 2K with me sometimes, which means he slows way down from his normal runs in order to stay with me. He's gone to my gym to spot me. He's so encouraging, but also makes it obvious that he loves me exactly as I am, and if I never lost a pound he wouldn't care.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Great job, and what a sweet husband!

I came home from work one day and my parents went to KFC and got a bucket of grilled chicken and vegetables on the side. I know fast food isn't that healthy, but it was nice of them to remember that I'm eating healthier and they also had grilled instead of fried. :)

My boyfriend has been a huge support, we lived together but are long distance right now. We both support each other in healthy living, and he is happy for me when I work out and I am when he does too. Plus, I find I am way more sensitive to things people say when I am losing weight and working on being healthy, and he's always there to listen to me.

It's so nice to have some supportive people around!
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My husband jumped on board with me - he got the MFP app and we do our 5K in the evening together. its nice that we walk together and talk instead of sitting in front of the idiot box and don't say a word. we have been supporting each other. I actually just got a text from him asking for help because someone brought in donuts. I got him thru it. and he will help me today when I go to Costco and want one of those hotdogs lol
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    For Mother's Day, my husband bought me an exercise ball and some weights. Pretty unorthodox, but I loved it so much!
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My fiance is great about this. A little background is needed:

(watch out this story makes me sound like a snob, but everyone has their thing they're snobby about lol)

I have had the same swimsuit a long time. I had a couple cheap wal-mart bathing suits for lakes and stuff like that, but since reaching my adult size I have owned the same really nice suit for swimming at pools and swimming laps. It always made me feel beautiful. And I never had to replace it because I bought it for a lot of money (You know the kind, the REALLY nice swim suits that are like 100 bucks at Dillards because they're made to last forever, look great, and have a fancy name on the label :P )

Well mine certainly no longer fit after losing 30 pounds. And I was REALLY bummed out about it. I pretty much stopped going to the pool because I didn't have a flattering pretty swimsuit to swim in. And we're young and just starting out, so I didn't even think about buying myself something silly like a 100 dollar swim suit just so I could feel better at the pool lol. We pretty much have every cent accounted for with groceries, bills, rent, and putting money away for savings.

We have a grocery budget, 150 dollars each payday (every two weeks). We normally just take whatever we don't spend out of that budget and call it a win and that is the end of it.

Well, my fiance thought ahead. And had been putting the change from the grocery shopping budget into an envelope she was hiding from me. And a few days ago surprised me with 96 dollars in ones, fives, and silver change she had put away over the last few months with the sole purpose in mind, for me to buy a new fancy swimming suit to fit my new size. :)

She went with me and watched a very long fashion show of me trying on one swim suit after another until I found the perfect one.
    It was even less that I though it would be with my coupons and we went to lunch afterwards :).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My fiance is great about this. A little background is needed:

(watch out this story makes me sound like a snob, but everyone has their thing they're snobby about lol)

I have had the same swimsuit a long time. I had a couple cheap wal-mart bathing suits for lakes and stuff like that, but since reaching my adult size I have owned the same really nice suit for swimming at pools and swimming laps. It always made me feel beautiful. And I never had to replace it because I bought it for a lot of money (You know the kind, the REALLY nice swim suits that are like 100 bucks at Dillards because they're made to last forever, look great, and have a fancy name on the label :P )

Well mine certainly no longer fit after losing 30 pounds. And I was REALLY bummed out about it. I pretty much stopped going to the pool because I didn't have a flattering pretty swimsuit to swim in. And we're young and just starting out, so I didn't even think about buying myself something silly like a 100 dollar swim suit just so I could feel better at the pool lol. We pretty much have every cent accounted for with groceries, bills, rent, and putting money away for savings.

We have a grocery budget, 150 dollars each payday (every two weeks). We normally just take whatever we don't spend out of that budget and call it a win and that is the end of it.

Well, my fiance thought ahead. And had been putting the change from the grocery shopping budget into an envelope she was hiding from me. And a few days ago surprised me with 96 dollars in ones, fives, and silver change she had put away over the last few months with the sole purpose in mind, for me to buy a new fancy swimming suit to fit my new size. :)

She went with me and watched a very long fashion show of me trying on one swim suit after another until I found the perfect one.
    It was even less that I though it would be with my coupons and we went to lunch afterwards :).

That is so adorable...she sounds like a wonderful fiancée
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I bought a body media armband back in 2009 when it was go wear fit and have used it off and on over the years. This time I've been really dialed in and using it every day plus logging. I was complaining that I have to take my laptop to sync my armband when we travel (which we do a lot of due to work and our boys being in different states) because it doesn't have bluetooth. Yesterday the UPS man showed up with a new armband. After 28 years you'd think he couldn't surprise me any more but he sure does. Just love that man!
  • titianwasp
    Options
    Now here's the thing...he's been great supporting me, how do I encourage him? We're not big, either of us, but 40 has struck with a vengeance and sooner or later eating like you are in your 20s/30s will catch up with a person.

How to encourage a man who was formerly an athlete, but is now devoted to work and family?
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My husband is really supportive of me. I can't really think of one specific thing he's done, but he never tries to get me to eat something he knows I shouldn't be eating ("come on, one won't kill you") and he makes sure I know that he loved my body at 155 lbs, he loves it now, and he'll love it when I reach my goal. He's bulking right now, so we're really supportive of each other. I just tell him to not get too hot for me, to which he says, "impossible." He's pretty great. :)

This!

I can't think of something specific my boyfriend has done, but he's extremely supportive and reassures me that he loved me at 255 pounds and loves me now at 205 and no matter how much more I decide to lose. My ex-boyfriend was NEVER like that; he knew I was trying to lose weight and would try and shove junk into my mouth... literally. Or if I didn't eat ice cream or fast food with him he'd throw a fit (I guess due to his own securities). Whenever we go grocery shopping he'll pick out healthy things he thinks I'll like, and he's changed his eating to make it easier on me so I don't have temptations around the house. He's really great :smile:
  • queenjane1023
    queenjane1023 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband is always supportive of my efforts. I think he knows not to push me too much because that will just deter me, but it's the little things that really help. I work out early mornings and I work full time. The free time I have leftover I prefer to spend with my 4 year old. There are many times my husband has offered to weigh, cook and portion out foods for me.

I also get pretty good support at work. One of my coworkers and I go for walks everyday and I tell her when I am restricting myself so that she helps me not to get any treats at the cafe on campus. My boss is pretty good about it too, during build weeks he supplies meals for stage crew and will always get me the healthiest option like chicken salad instead of a burger or fruit sides over potato salad/fries, etc.
  • titianwasp
    Options
    I wonder what the difference is. Some people have great support networks, others have saboteurs everywhere they look. Is it the people we attract in our lives, the people we are attracted to, or how we perceive the actions of others?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    titianwasp wrote: »
    I wonder what the difference is. Some people have great support networks, others have saboteurs everywhere they look. Is it the people we attract in our lives, the people we are attracted to, or how we perceive the actions of others?

Usually perception. Everyone now a days is always looking for a way to be offended.

I personally don't notice praise or sabotage, I'm doing this for me.