Fussy Eater wanting help :')

Options
2»

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Oh, Fussy? I misread the title. I'll be leaving now.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    totally did a double take on the title. i was like "whaaaaaaaaaaaat?? thats like, my favorite thing to eat."
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I forgot my glasses today and didnt read that as Fussy

=\

This.
  • imogeng114
    imogeng114 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My son is autistic and the most fussy eater so i understand your pain and would never recommend you force yourself to eat anything. You ask about protein and you're right you do need to get more protein in. The Nutrition section of MFP will tell you exactly how much protein you need per day and whether you are on track....my guess would be that you need at least 90gm per day. I have been in the same position and have found plain greek yoghurt a great way of upping the protein so go for it. Also the protein shakes are a good idea, but don't rely on them completely. The one I use gives me 22gm of protein out of my 80gm per day target so it's great. To ensure you get an accurate protein reading i would suggest you use the bar code reader app on your phone rather than searching for items. Some items listed do not have all the nutrients, whereas the bar code app will list as per manufacturer information. Best of luck
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Remember there are tons of different ways to cook different things - that may change the texture, the taste etc. There are literally 101 ways to make eggs (that is why there are 101 pleats on a chef hat) I know you said you didn't like them - but you can scramble them into rice with veggies and you already like curry - you hide them in that and you may never know they are there. Same with other meats and such. Hide small amounts in other things that you do like, then you may be more likely to eat them.

Also find vegetarian proteins, legumes, nuts - you didn't say you didn't like Peanut Butter (unless I missed something).....Nuts/sunflower seeds, etc. are good ways to help you with your protein - and nuts are calorie dense to help you meet that goal.

As a mom, I've found a million ways to hide things the kids won't normally eat in other things and you may have to do the same yourself. Amazing how many veggies I can chop up tiny and hide in spaghetti sauce (one day I left all meat out and they didn't even notice) or in a casserole. And I've switched meats up on them too - made turkey burgers, or meatloaf with other things in it. Sometimes you just have to experiment until you find a way to eat it.

Also - adding protein powder to things may help - you said you drink smoothies - but you can stir the powder into other stuff too - yogurt, ice cream, probably just about anything depending on the flavor the powder has on its own. I don't know for sure as I don't use the stuff, but there has to be things out there. Also you could try a protein bar (Quest is a good one but I don't know if it's in the UK) eat one after a work out for a couple hundred cals and extra protein.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    200lb for your height I wouldn't image how "fat" you could be...
    my husband is a fussy eater, if not the most in the world...he lifts weights, and eats lot of roasted chicken and salmon, the two things he can eat with no limit. He also tried protein powder for a while but he didn't like it very much although it helped a lot for his muscle building...

He also drinks milk and add crushed frozen strawberries to water so he will want to drink it...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    NO BREAD - I recommend reading the books "Wheat Belly" and the "Belly Fat Cure"

I recommend saving your money and eating what you want, as long as you are in a calorie deficit and hitting your macros/micros. Those books are a sham and a waste of money.

Try to get away from the "diet" aspect, as it looks like you are trying to plan out the same stuff to eat every day. You will eventually get bored. And 1400ish is way too much. I'm 5'10" and was 180 when I started losing, and I ate 1600-1700 and was dropping at around 1lb a week.

There's nothing fancy or magical about this, but it works, I promise.

this is the kind of positive advice I was hoping for, not just criticism for what I eat trust me ide love to be different and love to be able to eat meats and everything else but I just cant even force myself to I had various days of trying loads of different things and it just never works, wish i was forced as a kid and actually enjoyed them or something but god knows I am how i am, so 1400 is too much? so aim for what say 1600-1800 and then try to lose that way? im hoping just sticking to it for a month or so then seeing something drop will help provide assurance that its actually working!

Here's the thing: you gotta eat what you like to eat (I don't really care for trying new stuff a lot either), but you can't do it in the manner that got you to the point where you became unsatisfied with yourself. Want takeout? Cut the portion in half. Sure, trying new foods could make things easier and more fun, but you should eat what you want. Dude, I would start with like, 1700 and wiggle around there. If you're dying of hunger, eat 100cals more. If you feel fine, then be patient and check your progress WEEKLY. Back when I was losing, I had to cut many restaurant things in half. It wasn't so bad, because it turns out my craving was satisfied with what I ate, and I had another helping for later. Once my running started picking up, I went to TDEE model and eat about 2600/day, but I also do about 8 hours of cardio a week and dine out 2x/wk eating whatever I want. Just make sure you're hitting your macros.
  • missgeevious
    Options
    Hi, Just wanted to comment as i feel i can relate to your post so much. I agree that that person has never had problem with food!! I am also a fellow fussy eater. It is something that i still feel embarrassed about and have bought me to tears on some occasions. My meals are bland and plain and veg is a no go. I have tried things but end up working myself up so much and gagging that i have given up. I started MFP just for counting the calories to lose weight but realised that I was eating too many carbs in my diet and i was not getting the nutrients i needed. I have just started trying meal replacements as it has the nutrients i need. I have one in morning, then a snack (belvita breakfast biscuits, mainly for fibre), one for dinner, then a snack of almonds and a meal in evening such as chicken and rice. By doing this I have been over on my protein and under on my carbs and fat % wise. Hopefully this will work. Wish all you other fussy eaters good luck in your fitness journey.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I forgot my glasses today and didnt read that as Fussy

=\

I had to look 3x to realize it was an F.