Dizzy spells

Options
TaraNY55
TaraNY55 Posts: 2 Member
Hello all !

I just started doing 1200 calorie days this week and I'm noticing that I get dizzy spells every so often. And sometimes I'm SO hungry I can't do anything but sleep or think about food. Will my body get used to this calorie restriction? Or does this mean I need to up my calories?

Height:
5'4''
Need to lose:
20 lbs
Activity:
Desk job
Do 30 minute moderate exercise 4 days a week (I don't count the calories that the MFP app would add)

Replies

• LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Might help if you opened up your diary - if you're eating 1200 calories of sugary stuff, then you're not going to feel full or have stable blood sugar as if you're eating 1200 calories of protein etc.

Lots of people will tell you on here that 1200 is too low, but it worked for me when I did weight loss the first time. So it's about finding the right number for yourself.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Might help if you opened up your diary - if you're eating 1200 calories of sugary stuff, then you're not going to feel full or have stable blood sugar as if you're eating 1200 calories of protein etc.

Lots of people will tell you on here that 1200 is too low, but it worked for me when I did weight loss the first time. So it's about finding the right number for yourself.

Genuine question, why did you have to do it a second time?
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    the only thing I would say is make sure you are netting 1200 cals on days you workout.

dizzy spells can also occur if you are not eating balanced (too much carb or fat or protein) make sure that all of your meals include a carb fat and protein.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    There are so many other reasons this could be happening -

Are you on any medications?
    Have you travelled recently - via plane or even gone scuba diving?
    Are your allergies flaring up?
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I found myself getting dizzy on days where my normal physical activity level was above normal. Usually weekends and days where I'm outside doing yardwork or playing with the kids.

For me, I wasn't eating enough plain and simple. On days where I know I'm going to be more active I make sure I have a high protein, higher calorie breakfast and I don't allow myself to skip morning snack, which usually is a protein bar (200 cal/20g protein) or some other combination of foods that get me the energy I need. If it's an all day thing I make sure to bulk up my lunch as well.

Hydration also plays a part in dizziness as it relates to low BP (blood pressure).

Be sure you're drinking enough and getting enough protein to keep your body going, otherwise it's going to want to shutdown on you.
  • MintBerryCrunch21
    Options
    I can totally can relate to this. I get very dizzy when I'm on a restrictive calorie controlled diet. With all the physical activities combined with diet I think you are likely dizzy every now and then. For me I got dizzy at least twice a week, usually in the evening. I would just drink more water. If your dizzy spells continues see a doctor.
  • raintail8
    raintail8 Posts: 18
    Options
    That's not good. If you are eating well, then you simply should increase your calorie intake a little bit (try 300 calls) because dizziness is a product of a large calorie deficit.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Do 30 minute moderate exercise 4 days a week (I don't count the calories that the MFP app would add)

There's your answer.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Have you tried smaller meals all throughout the day so you don't feel like you're starving. Did you just start getting dizzy when you started the 1200 calorie diet or have you gotten dizzy spells before? I suffer from chronic vertigo due to a virus in my brain that I had 2 years ago (very very unlikely that this is the case for you) but there are other causes of dizziness/vertigo that can be exacerbated by low cal diets if this started before restricting calories. If this just started then are you drinking enough water?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more. Have you had your blood pressure checked? Mine runs low, so if it goes too low, the nurse recommends that I hydrate and eat something salty. Low blood sugar also exacerbates my low bp. Either of these things, or both, can lead to feeling light headed or dizzy. You may want to see a doctor if eating more, hydration, and sodium don't help.
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You have to eat about every four hours, during the day. Have a few carbs and protein. Your body needs fuel to function. You can do 1200 cals a day, and eat healthy. Track the nutrients on your food diary, protein, fats, sugars, .... make sure you are eating a healthy mx of veg, fruit, protein... from real food... not protein drinks. Eat some protein every four hours with some veg, carbs. You will be fine, and you will lose.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I had very little appetite (I used to drink allllllll my calories). So I was rarely netting 900 a day. I was dizzy and *****y a *lot*. I also didn't really understand the whole net calorie thing and how important it was to eat those calories back if you're too low.

Upping my intake changed all that. I no longer focus on breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat breakfast and snack pretty much all day (I pre-log my snacks to make sure I'm where I'm supposed to be). It's really working for me. I never feel overly full, or super hungry, but I'm getting those calories in.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Hello all !

I just started doing 1200 calorie days this week and I'm noticing that I get dizzy spells every so often. And sometimes I'm SO hungry I can't do anything but sleep or think about food. Will my body get used to this calorie restriction? Or does this mean I need to up my calories?

Height:
    5'4''
    Need to lose:
    20 lbs
    Activity:
    Desk job

Yes. I think you need to increase your calories. You don't mention your current weight (which has a great deal to do with where your calorie intake should be), but looking at your profile picture you do not appear to be obese and hardly overweight. With that in mind, 1200 is very low.

See this excellent article about how to set your calorie and macro targets:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

And this one for general amazingness.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Mind your net. Drink your water. Get plenty of sleep. :-)
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Genuine question, why did you have to do it a second time?

Upped my calories to maintenance when I was at my target weight, then stopped the large amount of exercise I was doing when I was in my final year of university because I didn't have the time, and drank too much wine as a coping mechanism.