Pain in tailbone during certain Pilates and Yoga moves?

Options
I've been mixing up my routine lately, trying out some new things. My core is in pretty horrid condition so pilates and yoga seemed like a good idea, and I like the 2 DVDs I have, but there are certain moves that really hurt, and not good hurt.

Specifically, any move that involves rolling down from a sitting to laying position. As I roll backward, when my tailbone reaches the halfway point between sitting and laying, I get a really sharp pain, and can't continue that exercise. It seems to be the direct result of pressure put on a very bony part of my body and there is no lingering pain as soon as I'm out of the position.

Am I doing these wrong? Is it just because of my lack of "natural padding" on the rear? Is there anything I can do to modify these moves so they won't hurt?

Does anyone have any idea what's going in here? It's really disappointing to do half of a routine, and have to stop in the middle because you can't roll backward without your butt hurting.

Replies

• anjeden
    anjeden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue! I have a fairly steady yoga practice--and there are some poses/transitions that non-ideal for me. I, too, have some weakness in my low tummy. If you can engage this area and pull your pelvis into correct alignment this helps (I find myself a little weak yet to do so.

Also I suggest reading about bandhas to give you an idea of where and how you can start engaging your low back and core more naturally :)
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Do you know what the poses are called? Many yoga poses have modified versions. I would just avoid doing poses like that and talk to your doctor about it. It could be that you aren't doing the pose correctly or it could be an issue with your back/tailbone.
  • shelbyforsquares
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't. The DVD is a 'for beginners' and doesn't name every move. It's all the poses where your weight is distributed mostly on your butt. Mostly those where you start sitting and engage your abs to roll backward. Also rolling in general.

I have no padding on my rear. I also have issues sitting for long periods of time (like through a full movie), because I just have a very bony rear end.

I half feel like I should prop a small pillow against that area to create some padding. Lol.

I have zero back or tailbone pain except during those Moves, so I don't think it's a medical issue.
  • shelbyforsquares
    Options
    I will look up bandhas. It's brand new and all greek to me at the moment. :)
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Probably unavoidable if you have a bony rear!

Several years ago I had an operation to remove a pilonidal sinus from that area (cyst caused by infected hair follicle around the coccyx), and even years later I still have to be careful about putting too much pressure on my tailbone. When I did yoga classes I had to avoid boat pose because of it, and I can't do too many full sit ups or v-ups before it starts to hurt.
  • shelbyforsquares
    Options
    Just googled boat pose, and yes! That's the position exactly! (I haven't done that particular pose) when my hips are on that angle, it's just... OW!
  • amyinGA
    amyinGA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a pilonidal cyst, too - I never had surgery to have mine removed, but I can't do pilates or full sit-ups without it hurting my tailbone.