How did people kill time at work before the internet

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
I remember I used to play golf in Excel.....I would use the RAND function with range 3 to 5 and play 18 holes.

Other ideas?

Replies

• xkissylou
    xkissylou Posts: 76
    Options
    Mfp? Oh.... internet. Right.
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Gee BEFORE the internet. I guess they talked to people in person. LOL. I really don't know. When I worked there never was time to just kill. Barely had time to break.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I didn't work before the internet was a thing (was born in 1991), but I always play solitaire and minesweeper to kill time when internet isn't available.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    me personally? books...
  • meganlibrarian
    Options
    I wrote letters in a word processing program, printed them out, and mailed them. Doodled in notebooks. That's about all I remember. :)
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    also majong
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    People conversed with each other I would imagine.
  • NormInv
    Options
    One key was to pretend to be working which you can do with excel and writing letter, but not so much reading books. You gotta make sure the bossman things you are hard at work
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    They took like 2 hour long lunches and left earlier than 5pm. My mom told me (she's in her 60s).
  • meganlibrarian
    Options
    Oh! Minesweeper! Definitely Minesweeper!
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    water cooler chit chat
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    When I worked in an office in the early 90s I used to have a book on my lap so I could hide it if any one came past. Then I became a nurse and no longer even had time for toilet breaks
  • NormInv
    Options
    bump.....its a short day but lest hear it
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Argue in bars about things. No smart phones or google, so the debates could get lively and go forever unresolved.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I used to write a lot of lists, character sketches, and do some journaling. Still do sometimes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I killed time in the gym. And it worked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hang around each others cubicles/desks and chat - pairs or groups. Where I worked you had to wait for the customer to come in or phone so you could fill out the paperwork, take their admissions/money for classes, etc. If no-one was there and filing had been done -there WAS NO work to do, so the bosses didn't mind the chit chat. Union janitorial staff did the cleaning, so you'd better not be caught dusting or taking trash out, etc if it wasn't your job description.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I read. Carried a book with me everywhere. At work, I would hide it in my lap under my desk.
  • morag_p2014
    morag_p2014 Posts: 39
    Options
    My dad said he hanged around the water cooler.
    He said it was called "creative time management".
    My mom just called him creepy.
  • PleaseDeleteMyAccount
    Options
    I remember I used to play golf in Excel.....I would use the RAND function with range 3 to 5 and play 18 holes.

Other ideas?

Golf in Excel? Wow, you're such a nerd - and I mean that in the nicest way. I :heart: nerds!

Hang out by the water cooler? Solitaire? Origami?