Football season tailgate binges...

Options
I know it's a little early for football, but before I know it college football will be back! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE tailgating season, but I need ideas/advice/motivation on what everyone else does during tailgate season. Of course, I will probably go over on calories on those days, but what do you guys do during football season to splurge, but not go overboard??? I don't want to ruin my hard work, but I do want to enjoy the day. So is there anything you all tell yourselves before you get to tailgates or before you start snacking in order to stay focused on your health goal?

Replies

• FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    gonna try this again lol……….bumpppp
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's not football season but hockey playoffs that get me. It's got to be the hardest part of the year. "Hey, c'mon over for a few beers and watch the game." Next thing you know it's take out or the bbq is going. A few is 6. Ugh! I try and I do mean try moderation. 3 wings instead of 6. 1 smokie/brat instead of 2. Lay off the Lay's. I also try to throw in an extra workout on the day of and day after.

Next up patio season....
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Why don't you consider bringing some of your own healthy versions of tailgating treats? Or offer to host and then you can be in control of the food. Or simply plan those days as calorie spike days and exercise more during the week or eat less, to make up for it?

You just need to remind yourself of what you're doing. Or accept that for during those weeks, you will simply be eating to "maintain" rather than to "lose". It comes down to how badly you want this.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still watching hockey playoffs on TV in the living room ...... not the same as an all-day tailgating party, but that's our "date" for pizza & beer :drinker:

As far as football tailgating, what would you have eaten in the past ? What do you eat now ? Do you do the cooking or do you walk around sampling bits of what other people have made ? You can bring your own pared-down versions of old favorites to enjoy ...... or eat whatever, just smaller (much smaller) amounts.

I go to plenty of BBQ's and cookouts ....... because they're spread over many hours, I try to make smart choices with what's available ...... for me, it's more about the socializing than the food ....... (ok, who am I kidding, it's all about the food ROFL) ....... but I am just WAY more picky these days !

And I drink plenty of water instead of soda & beer, so that helps keep the calorie count down. Plus I try to walk around as much as possible !

It's one day a week (or 2 or 3) so there are plenty of other days to really watch what you eat & get loads of exercise !

Best of luck to you !

GO GIANTS !
  • Fit4MeAlways
    Options
    You could be the girl that brings the "loofah" burger. Haha, that commercial is hilarious.

Seriously though, when I think tailgating I do think grilling.
    You could bring your own chicken to grill.
    Other options to grill are fruits like pineapples. Sweetness + Grilling = Win

If you are worried about "noshing" all day, bring your own sliced veggies to chomp on. You could include hummus.
    Or sliced fruit for a sweet treat.

Football season is the best!

Good luck!

And let me add a Who Dey!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    first off, it's may. relax. you've got a few months before you have to worry about this.

do you tailgate every sunday? saturdays too? what about when the team is away?

many people will binge one day a week. it's not that big of a deal if you do maintain some semblance of control. maybe find an area to sacrifice a little, like not drinking beer (or not drinking that much beer). i know i know, not drinking beer at a tailgate and you'll be ostracized. so crack one open and just sip at it.

don't load up your plate when you go to the grill. there are plenty of healthy foods you can bring to a game as well. turkey or chicken burgers are good, and you can make a healthy side dish.
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    We're in the midst of this right now, as the only tailgating we do is for soccer games. I do try to plan ahead and save some room in my week for a couple of drinks and/or treats. We tailgate with a very organized supporters group with one guy who's been appointed "chef" for the meat all year. He matches his dish to whatever the theme of the week is, and we've had the whole list since the beginning of the season. I go off of that list to try to balance out our contributions. Smoked pork loin or grilled chicken? Yeah, we'll bring chips, cookies, or some other "splurge" item. Hot dogs and brats, we're bringing a big tray of fresh fruits or veggies. Since I know I'm likely to graze throughout the party, I try to make my actual plate as light as possible....I'll stand around and snack just as much if I've eaten a full meal's worth on the first pass as I will if I've just had a few bites. I also bring plenty of water every time, so I'm not drawn to drink way too many calories.

That said, I don't worry a whole lot about it if I end up snacking on more treats than I budget for, as game days mean 90+ minutes on our feet bouncing around for chants, cheers, and songs plus often an informal soccer game at the tailgate.
  • MindyRH
    MindyRH Posts: 15
    Options
    Why don't you consider bringing some of your own healthy versions of tailgating treats? Or offer to host and then you can be in control of the food. Or simply plan those days as calorie spike days and exercise more during the week or eat less, to make up for it?

You just need to remind yourself of what you're doing. Or accept that for during those weeks, you will simply be eating to "maintain" rather than to "lose". It comes down to how badly you want this.

I agree with this advice. I try to bring healthy versions of foods like a coleslaw made with greek yogurt, kabobs or marinated chicken to throw on the grill. I also try to avoid the chips because I eat too many of those (but if somebody makes a delicious salsa I go for it and then try to balance out the rest of the week).
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My buffalo celery sticks always get eaten. Stuff celery with light cream cheese and sprinkle with wing sauce and ranch seasoning.

We have done shredded chicken nachos for parties. Just put a bag or frozen chicken breast in a crock pot with a can of tomatillos. Serve with lots of toppings.

Better homs and gardens has a great 8 layer Mexican dip recipe (should come up if you search)I like it because you can make it ahead and it is pretty healthy. You could even serve it with rice and meat as a bowl meals. I recommend bushes seasoned refried black beans.

Tabbouleh and grilled falafels are strangely popular, even with people who aren't trying to eat healthy. Tabbouleh is really easy and can be make ahead. It would also be okay sitting on a table for awhile at a tailgate.

Boudin stuffed peppers. Just open up the sausage and put it in pepers. Top with barbecue sauce and bake, grill, or crock pot. Probably not the healthiest, but really good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I know it's a little early for football, but before I know it college football will be back! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE tailgating season, but I need ideas/advice/motivation on what everyone else does during tailgate season. Of course, I will probably go over on calories on those days, but what do you guys do during football season to splurge, but not go overboard??? I don't want to ruin my hard work, but I do want to enjoy the day. So is there anything you all tell yourselves before you get to tailgates or before you start snacking in order to stay focused on your health goal?
    Bust your butt and at least get in a good workout before the tailgate. No excuses.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition