Heavy lifting for women - questions (never done it)

Options
Hi -

I have seen so much about "heavy lifting" for women.
I struggle with where to start.

In addition to cardio and HIIT classes, I do the following on the machines at the gym, 4 times per week.

I do 2 sets, 12 reps each (ab machine is 15 reps each).

Machine and lbs lifted:
Shoulder press 80
Pull press 60
Overhead press 60
Leg kick forward 60
Leg kick back 60
Push down 80
Curls -biceps 60
Abs 80
Chest Press 50

Not sure I have all the correct names for the machines.

My stats: 5'8", female, age 55
Nov 13, 2013 Wgt 285 lbs
May 13, 2014 Wgt .205 lbs
My plan is to lose at least another 30-40 lbs and decide from there to continue or not.

My question - how can I start "heavy" lifting, and what should I be doing? (Which exercises, how much weight to lift, how many reps, and how often)

Replies

• DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is relative to the person lifting: you. What's the heaviest weight you can manage and do 6-8 reps with good form?

Then increase the weights. Keep pushing your muscles to strengthen.

I would encourage you to use the free weights, particularly the Olympic bar (for squats, dead lifts, etc). Machines don't give you a full-body workout, they isolate muscle groups too much. I also don't like them because they're designed to fit men and I end up contorting myself to make them work.
  • IndecisiveGirl2013
    IndecisiveGirl2013 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You could look for a beginners weight training program to follow. Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women are good ones.
  • peacheswi
    peacheswi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

I really do want to get away from using the machines, but the trainer told me to start there back in November. He also said to continue since I am making good progress. Just seems like I have heard more good results from free weights and bars, heavy lifting than machines, which is why I want to move away from machines.

I will look into those programs - thanks again!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    You could look for a beginners weight training program to follow. Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women are good ones.

I just got Starting Strength. It's a hard book to find. Order it through Amazon.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    On a side note, you know what's funny? I looked at myself in the mirror today, and although I have some fat to take care of, I can see my obliques. I can see that I would have one of those boy "V"s on my stomach. I was like "Whoa! I better get cracking."

It's amazing how for years we all thought that crunches were the only thing on the planet. (OK, I know there were other options but so many people only think crunches will do it.)

Lift, baby, LIFT!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Ditch the machines. Heavy lifting generally refers to the use of free weights, specifically barbell based lifting programs.
    Look up the programs New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, and Stronglifts 5x5. Pick one, and start it.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Ditch the machines. Heavy lifting generally refers to the use of free weights, specifically barbell based lifting programs.
    Look up the programs New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, and Stronglifts 5x5. Pick one, and start it.

^^ This! And there is a reasont hey suggest going with the free weights because the machines allow you be lazy with your form but with free weights you must utilize more muscles to balance and do the moves correctly. I bought Starting Strength and started Stronglifts 5x5 last week and am already starting to see the wonderful changes. Not to mention the confidence boost lifting gives you!
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and have gotten pretty overwhelmed. I read through New Rules for Lifting but it was way too hard for me. I also considering Starting Strength, but I've read that both programs are intended for people who have 20 pounds or less to loose. Since I still want to loose 50-55 lbs, I'm not sure what to use.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There are no heavy lifting for women- or heavy lifting for men.
    a program for lifting is a program for lifting- a way a man trains is pretty much how a woman will train. There is no difference- we do not build muscle the same as a man. so just lift away.

starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting

check into any of those - great beginner programs.

As for heavy- a general guide line is as follows

0 reps = to heavy
    1-5 = heavy, designed to build strength- no cardio
    5-10- still heavy- designed for strength and size (diet depending)
    10-15- muscle endurance
    15+ body pump classes designed for cardio
  • mscleo1115
    mscleo1115 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wendler's 5/3/1 program is great. You can get the e-book on amazon.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    a program for lifting is a program for lifting- a way a man trains is pretty much how a woman will train. There is no difference- we do not build muscle the same as a man. so just lift away.

starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting

0 reps = to heavy
    10-15- muscle endurance

This. There is no such thing as a weightlifting program specifically for women, and anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something. You should be doing the same things men do.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting

0 reps = to heavy
    10-15- muscle endurance

This. There is no such thing as a weightlifting program specifically for women, and anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something. You should be doing the same things men do.

And another 'This' for added emphasis.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and have gotten pretty overwhelmed. I read through New Rules for Lifting but it was way too hard for me. I also considering Starting Strength, but I've read that both programs are intended for people who have 20 pounds or less to loose. Since I still want to loose 50-55 lbs, I'm not sure what to use.

I don't know anything about NRoL but Starting Strength is intended for anyone, not the 20 lbs. or less overweight. It is about strength, strength, and more strength. In your case you won't need to eat in excess but you will have to watch the calorie intake and adjust as you go. Don't get into a huge calorie deficit because you will burn plenty of calories during recovery.

Your biggest challenge will be stalling or plateauing and may have to up the calories to get past the stall. Just don't let the stalling get you derailed, just work through it and take your time, the weights will get heavy fast. Everything seems just fine then one day you unrack the bar and swear that you just added a 25 lb plate and not a 2.5 lb plate.

Focus on form before weight, the weights will come faster than you imagine and if the form breaks down you will stall or hurt. If you need to de-load and work on form, do it, you won't regret it.

Remember squats rule.
  • peacheswi
    peacheswi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - great advice as usual!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I read New Rules when I started last summer. It was a little overwhelming at first, so I "modified" it a little bit. I picked the movements with the dumbbells that I wanted to do; I was having some hip issues, so I was kind of picky about how I moved my hip.

I am going to start Strong Lifts; I've been working on using the correct form. I've started squatting with the barbell (vs. the dumbbells and super squat machine), deadlifts, bench. Yeah, pick a program to follow. I think it's easier and more structures than trying to figure things out on your own.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting

0 reps = to heavy
    10-15- muscle endurance

^this!!!!!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting

0 reps = to heavy
    10-15- muscle endurance

^this!!!!!

x2! I was typing the same thing, though less eloquently.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Is there something that can take the place of squats? I've had knee surgeries and have a joint disease. I can't manage a squat and probably will be needing total knee replacements sooner than later.
  • tjthegreatone
    tjthegreatone Posts: 324
    Options
    I started 'heavy' lifting a year ago. However in the last 4 months I've derailed a bit due to life :angry: :explode: and become more of an 'occasional' lifter so my progress has stalled somewhat.

I never used any programs, just observed the big guys in the gym/listened to them, used some of the moves from the Les Mills classes and through trial and error cobbled together my own plan.

I only use the barbell and free weights.

My big moves are:
    Squats (3 x 10 reps)
    Dead lifts (3 x 10 reps)
    Overhead presses (3 x10 reps)
    I usually do a warm up with the empty bar and gradually increase weight to my maximum, aiming to go up about 5-10kg every month (it is that slow).

To these I add a mixture of the following depending on my mood:
    Chest presses with free weights
    Bicep curls
    Tricep dips
    Clean and presses
    Overhead raises
    Lunges
    Ab work (bicycling, sit ups, planks)
    Press ups

And once I get to 1hr-ish and my legs are wobbly I'm out of there.

Currently I squat 60-80kg, deadlift 80kg, overhead press 30kg (arms are weak!) and the others are smaller weights. I'm female, 5'9, 73kg. What those are in pounds I can't be bothered to convert currently. But it's taken me almost a year (with lots of derailing, including the fact that I'm a hardcore cardio junkie) to get to this point.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I echo what everyone is saying about ditching the machines, for the most part. 3 months ago I started working with a trainer on power lifting based stuff. Pretty much every strength workout starts with bench, squat, OHP, or deads. My body changes in that time are amazing.

In the last 2-3 months I have added 40lbs to my back squat, 75lbs to my leg press, and can deadlift just 15lbs under bodyweight. Sometime this summer, I will flip a tractor tire!