Breakfast ideas

Options
Hi everyone!!

I really need some quick & fulfill breakfast ideas. Ones I can eat on the go like in the car. Currently I do a packet of grits & some orange juice.

Also - any alternate juices that aren't an arm & a leg for a 1/2 gallon? Currently I am drinking regular orange juice (120cal per 8 oz)

Thanks!!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burrito, egg sandwich, oats/fruit/nuts trail mix, protein smoothie, and boiled eggs would all be pretty easy to eat in the car.
  • emclean72
    emclean72 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks!! I'm thinking I could make the burrito/egg the night before (that's my problem... I like to sleep until I have to get up & get ready and out the door I am!) :) not much time to spare - I was doing protein shakes in the AM but I ran out my mix & I'm getting tired of them... I feel the urge to EAT!!!
  • Lexadelphia
    Options
    I can't have you messin' up my bread and butter, dude.
  • emclean72
    Options
    Do you have a low calorie tortilla you recommend? I want to try to keep my breakfast's under 200-250 calories (including orange juce or what not)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    What about investing in a turbo blender. You can use it to make whole juice and smoothies. Plus soup, hummus, and blended adult drinks. I have had my Blendtec for about 18 months and I have used it about 550 times. Much of that has been recent, since we have been eating healthier. They are simple to clean too. The blade is attached to the pitcher and is dull, so you just rinse it out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you have a low calorie tortilla you recommend? I want to try to keep my breakfast's under 200-250 calories (including orange juce or what not)

I like flat out brand wraps. They are high fiber and 90-100 calories, depending on which type you chooose. They are a little longer than a regualr tortilla. Tortilla Factory makes some that are similar in calories that are round like a regular tortilla.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I'm thinking I could make the burrito/egg the night before (that's my problem... I like to sleep until I have to get up & get ready and out the door I am!) :) not much time to spare - I was doing protein shakes in the AM but I ran out my mix & I'm getting tired of them... I feel the urge to EAT!!!

I've been making my own frozen breakfast burritos. Takes about 30 minutes to make several. Just roll them, wrap in plastic wrap, and throw them in the freezer. To heat, remover plastic wrap and microwave for 1-2 ish minutes. You can use whatever filling you want.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I make some egg muffins in cupcake form, make a double batch and freeze. Then I just cook them in the microwave when I want them.

I started with a recipe and now kind add whatever sounds good. The usual is

10 eggs
    mushrooms
    red peppers
    frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
    turkey sausage
    2-3 cups shredded cheese (any kind you like)
    1/4 of flour
    1 cup of cottage cheese(you won't notice it if you don't like it)
    1 t baking powder
    salt and pepper

cook the mushrooms and peppers and sausage (or whatever you want to put in there) In a bowl, beat the eggs well, mix in the flour. Add the spinach, cottage cheese, cheese, baking powder, salt and pepper. Grease muffin tins well. fill muffin tins 3/4 or almost to the top, bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.

That is the basic, sometimes I like spicy and add jalapeno peppers to the mushrooms and sausage and use pepper jack cheese. THe batch in my freezer has bacon cooked and crumbled into it instead of sausage and I had 12 eggs and used them all. When I use the recipe calculator they usually fall into the 225 - 275 calorie range for 2 muffins. I divide it up in the muffin tins to make 24 muffins and freeze in baggies of 2.
  • emclean72
    Options
    How long do they stay good in the freezer? And what burrito tortilla do you use? How many calories roughly
    Maybe I could make a batch on Sunday & they would be good all week?
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This morning I had a cherry frosted donut with sprnkles... but normally I am better and have a fiber one bar or other granola bar lol
  • emclean72
    Options
    I make some egg muffins in cupcake form, make a double batch and freeze. Then I just cook them in the microwave when I want them.

I started with a recipe and now kind add whatever sounds good. The usual is

10 eggs
    mushrooms
    red peppers
    frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
    turkey sausage
    2-3 cups shredded cheese (any kind you like)
    1/4 of flour
    1 cup of cottage cheese(you won't notice it if you don't like it)
    1 t baking powder
    salt and pepper

cook the mushrooms and peppers and sausage (or whatever you want to put in there) In a bowl, beat the eggs well, mix in the flour. Add the spinach, cottage cheese, cheese, baking powder, salt and pepper. Grease muffin tins well. fill muffin tins 3/4 or almost to the top, bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.

That is the basic, sometimes I like spicy and add jalapeno peppers to the mushrooms and sausage and use pepper jack cheese. THe batch in my freezer has bacon cooked and crumbled into it instead of sausage and I had 12 eggs and used them all. When I use the recipe calculator they usually fall into the 225 - 275 calorie range for 2 muffins. I divide it up in the muffin tins to make 24 muffins and freeze in baggies of 2.

Thank you!! I can't wait to try all these!! I just feel 2 wouldn't be enough & I would still be starving! LOL :)
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    How long do they stay good in the freezer? And what burrito tortilla do you use? How many calories roughly

I'm not sure how long they're good in the freezer. I just do a week at a time for my husband and myself and they're fine. I used La Tortilla Factory low carb whole wheat tortillas this time. Each burrito is around 300 calories but that will vary based on what you put in it and what tortilla you use.
  • emclean72
    Options

I'm not sure how long they're good in the freezer. I just do a week at a time for my husband and myself and they're fine. I used La Tortilla Factory low carb whole wheat tortillas this time. Each burrito is around 300 calories but that will vary based on what you put in it and what tortilla you use.

Thank you!!

Do you normally pull them out the night before and put in fridge & then just warm up once they are dethawed? or warm up 1-2 mins directly from freezer? I think I am going to make some Sunday for the week! I'm excited!!
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 600 or so cals, but I do some oatmeal in the microwave for 2min 30sec, throw in some peanut butter and a small brownie bite. Make a quick 2 egg 2 bacon (ready made bacon) omelet, and I'm set.
  • chubby_checkers
    Options

Thank you!!

Do you normally pull them out the night before and put in fridge & then just warm up once they are dethawed? or warm up 1-2 mins directly from freezer? I think I am going to make some Sunday for the week! I'm excited!!

I pull mine out the night before when I pack my lunch and then heat at work so they're usually mostly thawed. You can heat them directly out of the freezer though. :smile:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfasts are:

deli ham and slice of cheese wrapped around avocado and/ or hard boiled egg
    frozen waffle with peanut butter and sliced banana
    protein bar and piece of fruit
    carnation instant breakfast (or protein powder) in blender with milk and fruit

I also recommend the egg muffins. Easy and yummy.