Best value preportioned containers?

Options
Hi!
I'm looking to get some pre-portioned containers, air tight of course, and was looking for recommendations on which ones are the best value (quality + price).

I know the containers aren't always needed, but I DO need them. Calorie counting and portion control have been my stuggle and the only thing holding me back so long. So I'm planning to get containers, making most of all my meals in advanced (or at least portioning them out in advance) and storing them and using those until I can get myself on a good track. So your best recommend for containers would be wonderful : )

Thank you!

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of different Rubbermaid Lunchblox containers. There are all different sizes and they all fit together.

I also have used the Ziplock divided container. It's a rectangle with a sandwich sized square section and 2 small sections. There is one lid for the whole thing, but I've put applesauce in one of the small sections and had no leakage into the other ones.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ikea has a great set of containers, their Pruta set of food containers. 17 containers (and lids for each!) in 6 or 7 sizes, for under 5 bucks! I have 2 or 3 sets of them and use them for food mostly but the little ones come in handy around the house for other things as well. Quality is better than Gladware and the like, but not as good as Rubbermaid or Tupperware. But for $5 they are worth a try.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I like the kind I get at the dollar store or the dollar aisle at the drug/grocery store. I can get 5 1 cup containers for a dollar. It probably depends on what size containers you are looking for, but for the smaller sized I like the kind where I can get many for a dollar.

Plus then when the dog chews them up it's not so bothersome.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've picked most of mine up at Dollar Tree or TJ Maxx as I need them. It really depends on what size and type you want and what's available around you.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale instead for portioning--then you case you whatever container you'd like!
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale instead for portioning--then you case you whatever container you'd like!

This hasn't been working for me. I need containter.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Look into the Beachbody 21 Day Fix
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! ADMIN of this thread I just messaged you personally... However I have a suggestion for YOU ALL. I'm a certified fitness coach, and I am here to help you achieve your goals. I have a great system/program that I use for portion control that's CHEAP and reusable. It's called the 21-Day Fix. It comes with portion control containers, and everything you need to know about PROPER portion control. I've had some AMAZING results and so have my customers who have tried this program as well. If you'd like to know more, please message me!

All five of your posts are you trying to sell something. Certified fitness coach... Did you get that title by agreeing to sell a product?
  • vanginmi
    vanginmi Posts: 41
    Options
    I use regular betty crocker (cheap) 3.5 cup thin stack able containers. All 5 stack nicely in the fridge and fit a protein, and 2 veggies very nicely. I find making 5 of these on Sunday gives me no excuse to eat large lunch meals at work.

I also bought a Ms Bento Zojirushi container from Amazon for $50 - I love it! The total is 3.5 cups and the Mr. Bento is 5.5. Ms. Bento is better for me for portion control - even the most calorie dense food is hard to over eat if you stick to the containers!

Good luck. And I dont need a system of colored containers - they could go missing in my chaotic houselhold.

My betty crocker ones are $1 each. And for soup and spill proof, I use the ziploc 2 cup ones with twist on caps! They are around $2.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I bought a BUNCH of containers on clearance. They're the glass ziploc versaglass. I love them because they can be used to freeze, microwave, and/or store, and they are also oven safe (don't move from freezer to oven without defrosting first).

They also are much easier to keep clean than most plastic.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! ADMIN of this thread I just messaged you personally... However I have a suggestion for YOU ALL. I'm a certified fitness coach, and I am here to help you achieve your goals. I have a great system/program that I use for portion control that's CHEAP and reusable. It's called the 21-Day Fix. It comes with portion control containers, and everything you need to know about PROPER portion control. I've had some AMAZING results and so have my customers who have tried this program as well. If you'd like to know more, please message me!

You're here to help people achieve goals ?:laugh: ........you're selling Shakeology in another thread
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of the Glad 1cup containers and have no financial interest in the product.

PS. I don't use them for measuring. I put them on the scale, then add the food to the weight I need.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I like glass containers. I can heat with them. I never heat anything in plastic.
  • mimi14fun
    mimi14fun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like the rubbermaid containers. They nest nicely in my cupboard and the lids with the screw tops haven't leaked yet. I store and freeze the food in them but do not reheat in them I keep a glass bowl at work to reheat things such as soups and chilli. I use the ziploc containers as well for salads and non liquid items. If you need a small container for liquids such as salad dressing I recommend Wilton containers they are in cake decorating stores and package a 2 ounce container with a nice tight lid. Hope this helps.
  • mimi14fun
    mimi14fun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I never reheat in plastic either.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have a 8562309856120 piece Rubbermaid set. It has every size ever with interlocking, stackable lids and bottoms. I like them because they have lots of smaller sizes, which are great for weighing out dressings, peanut butter, walnuts.

All of that said- you will not be able to be as accurate with food containers. Different meats and cheeses have extremely variable calorie content.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    Look into the Beachbody 21 Day Fix

I definetly don't have the money for that.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    I have a 8562309856120 piece Rubbermaid set. It has every size ever with interlocking, stackable lids and bottoms. I like them because they have lots of smaller sizes, which are great for weighing out dressings, peanut butter, walnuts.

All of that said- you will not be able to be as accurate with food containers. Different meats and cheeses have extremely variable calorie content.

I googled 8562309856120 piece Rubbermaid set and didn't find anything. Is there another name for it or am I just being stupid? o.o
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    A suggestion I will make it to find glass containers. They save a lot of time when re-heating because you don't have to transfer into another bowl/paper plate. They may be a little bit more expensive initially, but you will save money on the paper plates. Plus you can use a knife on a glass container and not worry it will cut through the bottom like my cheap plastic Ikea containers. I found great deals on glass containers and discount stores like Ross and TJ Maxx.
  • unbalanced1
    unbalanced1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For my weekday lunches, I do the salad in a jar. It's a qt mason jar that I put together a week out so I can take them to work all week. Basically you put the dressing in first and then some of the heartier veggies that can handle sitting in the dressing all week, followed by the meat and then the lettuce/spinch or kale. You can portion it out in advance so you can log it. They talk about them on Pintrest.