How we see women today

Options

Replies

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Not endorsing photo alteration or unhealthily skinny models in any way, but...

In the renaissance, fat was beautiful because it was a sign of wealth. The average woman during that period would have been very thin, simply from a lack of food. Being overweight was a status symbol that said you had so much money you could afford to be fat. It's simply not apples to apples to compare beauty standards from other time periods to today. It has gone from the aristocracy being overweight and the common man being tragically thin to the reverse.

...AND let's not forget being "tanned": the fat aristocracy also wanted lily-white skin, which was a sure sign of not slaving away in the cropfields all day. ...until MUCH later, when folks started to "vacation" at the French Riviera. THEN sun-kissed skin began its assocation with wealth.
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    There are so many different shapes and sizes. Can't we just let people be happy how they are?

:heart:

Amen
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Basically, what's happening is what's always happened, right? Society says what's rare is beautiful and coveted. So when it was easy to be thin, you should want to be heavy, and when it's easy to be heavy, you should want to to be thin. So...how about we all just decide for ourselves what we want our bodies to look like, and tell society to suck it?

:heart: :smooched: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Exactly this
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

In the renaissance, fat was beautiful because it was a sign of wealth. The average woman during that period would have been very thin, simply from a lack of food. Being overweight was a status symbol that said you had so much money you could afford to be fat. It's simply not apples to apples to compare beauty standards from other time periods to today. It has gone from the aristocracy being overweight and the common man being tragically thin to the reverse.

...AND let's not forget being "tanned": the fat aristocracy also wanted lily-white skin, which was a sure sign of not slaving away in the cropfields all day. ...until MUCH later, when folks started to "vacation" at the French Riviera. THEN sun-kissed skin began its assocation with wealth.
    And what culture you are in as well. In other parts of the world, there are people looking to lighten their skin or fatten themselves up for beauty.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Basically, what's happening is what's always happened, right? Society says what's rare is beautiful and coveted. So when it was easy to be thin, you should want to be heavy, and when it's easy to be heavy, you should want to to be thin. So...how about we all just decide for ourselves what we want our bodies to look like, and tell society to suck it?

That's... pretty accurate. The hardest to attain look has typically been the most desired.

I think (hope) that we are trending towards a society that values what is healthy above all else. Besides, we have so many other ways to be what we perceive individually as beautiful today than simple body shape. We aren't constrained to one hairstyle/clothing style/etc./etc. like we once were. (Unless you live in North Korea)
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

We comprise society. When people stop buying cosmo or shape with fit people on the covers... that's "society's" (aka, our) way of saying that's what we prefer.

I agree with your post completely though.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    That may be the way we perceive beauty today, but that is not the way it is. As a whole America is getting fatter.

If you don't believe me, ask Charles Barkley.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

YEAH! Where is this "society" guy so I can punch him in the face!

Oh...wait.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

We comprise society. When people stop buying cosmo or shape with fit people on the covers... that's "society's" (aka, our) way of saying that's what we prefer.

At least some one gets it.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

This is an oft-repeated "fact". It's also false.

Food shortages and malnutrition remained a recurrent problem in Europe until the late 19th/early 20th century but the preferred aesthetic varied a lot over time.

Ancient Roman art depicted women (generally) as thinner than Renaissance and 17/18th art, but curvier than ancient Greek art. Early Medieval art preferred women thin (bordering on the malnourished) and they progressively became "fuller" as time went by. This trend peaked around the 18th century and then reversed.

Economics may have played a role, but it wasn't as simple as fat = rich = pretty.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can only be me and try not and focus on what society wants me to be.
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great reading comments about how in the times these were painted their bodies had a lot to do with their wealth! I didn't know that! I just thought this was an interesting article!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm actually happy to see celebrities speaking out against using (abusing) photoshop. Both Lorde and some girl on Pretty Little Liars release non-photoshopped pictures of themselves which is a "brave" thing to do now.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Who is this "we"...?
    Not I.
  • bigbarnold
    bigbarnold Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    said the blind man.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Of course, those Renaissance women also died at 40 and rubbed arsenic into their cleavage. Just sayin...
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Of course, those Renaissance women also died at 40 and rubbed arsenic into their cleavage. Just sayin...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: