Bench press + tension headache?

Options
wargrrl
wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
i bench pressed for the first time a week ago. i benched with just the bar. when i went home i felt a sudden tightness on the top left of my head. its like a headache minus the pain. i slept it off but it came back 2 days later and since then its been lingering. its like a faint, dull throbbing or tightness. ive been kind of tripping myself out because ive never experienced this before or a headache that has lasted more than a day.it is not as bad today tho. it usually gets worse with caffeine.

i went to a walk in doctor 2 days ago and he said he "thinks" its probably a tension headache or muscle spasm and prescribed me an anti inflammatory that doesnt really do much. ive been taking magnesium tho and that seems to help.

has anyone ever experienced something like this? could this be a result of having done bench presses without stretching?

Replies

• NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I would guess it had more to do with diet or stress that might cause it more than lifting. It doesn't sound like you were doing anything too extreme to cause it.

Hope you feel better.
  • lifechangin1987
    Options
    I was seeing a chiropractor for tension headaches. It was because I wasn't being active at all. So I started a new workout program. On the day after working out my shoulders and back I had a similar issue. Actually I ended up staying home sick because of a migraine. So I made an appointment with my chiropractor. She heated my shoulders, neck, and upper back for about 15 minutes to get everything to relax. Then she stretched my neck. Then she used a sort of roller on the muscle area between my neck and shoulder. Basically she loosened everything up. Now I just stretch my neck when I feel I need to and haven't had to go back in to the chiropractor.

I would suggest seeing a chiropractor but make sure to ask if they can loosen your muscles before adjustment. If you aren't comfortable seeing a chiropractor then I would suggest heating all those muscles and doing some neck stretches. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/multimedia/neck-stretches/vid-20084697 (this is basically what I do)

All this advice is, of course, if you think its coming from a muscle spasm or muscles being too tight. Hope this helps!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing when you benched,you pressed the back of head hard into the bench for extra force.

Next time you bench, lift your head up so your hair is touching, but you're not resting your head down. Your head will be maybe a quarter inch of the bench.

Have someone deep massage your upper neck to ease the pain.

spot-01-suboccipitals-main-xl.jpg
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I experienced something similar. I would perform any weight resistance exercise and then, about 5 or 6 reps into it I would get a massive headache. It took about 5 hours for the headache to completely go away. My chiropractor worked on me for about a week and the problem went away.

You did the right thing by seeing a doctor. My doctor said that if the headaches came while performing any cardio exercise or any strenuous activity that it could be serious. For me, the pain only came when I lifted.

Hope you get better soon ~