gastric bypass or lap banding????

Options
I would really like to chat with people who have had the surgeries and their fed back on the results. I had it done 5 years ago. So any comments????????? :smile:

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Read my profile and you are welcome to email me a message or friend me!! You are in the right place.
  • BMSkvara
    Options
    I had lap band about 6 months ago and am very happy. So far I have lost 60 pounds. My blood pressure is great and my asthma is better than ever. I am planning on taking part in my first ever 5k in April.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass in 2002. Friend me if you want to talk. :smile:
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Read my profile and you are welcome to email me a message or friend me!! You are in the right place.

I read your profile and looked at your pictures. You've been on an amazing journey. I wish you continued luck in your journey.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass in 2002. Such a long time ago! But you see how were are all still struggling, so, as the doctor said, not a magic bullet. :wink:
  • Manda_H
    Options
    My mom had it and within 5 years gained 80% of her weight back.. .bypass that is. I have a friend who had gastric bypass twice and currently is at her heaviest weight ever. (not sure how they do it twice but she had it twice) Now i have 3 friends with the lapband but two are within the last 3 months. the other one is about a year in and she lost 140 lbs but once she leveled out in weight loss she has started climbing back up. I can't say i have a good opinion of either surgeries- i have watched a lot of loved ones and friends who put their faith in it and it got the doctors a lot of money and they spent a lot on their wardrobes but none of them, long term, have been better off :( My husbands aunt also had the bypass and shes 3 years out and shes gained about 75% of it back. I haven't known anyone who has had either and at 5 years out have the body they expected... or even what they had 6 months post surgery.
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Lap band in 2007,I don't regret it one bit. Just kicking myself up the backside now to actually lose the rest of my extra baggage
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I haven't had gastric bypass but both my husband and I had (VSG) Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, also called the Sleeve, this past October and are doing great. I know several who have done revisions from bypass to sleeve and are doing well. Have sent a friend request to you.

Would love to get a group of WLS patients going on here but there doesn't seem to be a lot...

Welcome to MFP!

Priska
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Would love to get a group of WLS patients going on here but there doesn't seem to be a lot...

Priska

Here is a link to a group for WLS. Hope you check it out, it is for post ops.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107774-wls-support-and-inspirational-information
  • irishangelmum
    Options
    Gastric Bypass in August 2007... lost about 110 pounds and, aside from gaining 15 pounds while pregnant, have kept it off! YEAH! I have no regrets and have always said I wish I had done it sooner! It's not for everyone, and it's not a magic bullet, but it worked for me and gave me control back.
  • Mary_Burris
    Options
    I had the Lapband on 03/31/2009 and I :heart: :heart: :heart: LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE:heart::heart: :heart: my band! it is the best thing Ive ever done for myself. for those who have it they have to UNDERSTAND and KNOW that it is a TOOL not a fix and that it is there to help you not to fix it for you. :flowerforyou: im down 140lbs and staying strong still loosing!
  • priskar
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on 140 down!! Great job!

It's so nice to see some of the WLS folks come out and always interesting to see what progress/success vs "time out". I'm early in my journey yet but it's so nice to hear from folks who did well and, continue to do so.

And yes, it IS a tool. There's a whole lot of hard work behind any WLS!

Keep up the great work!

Priskar
    I had the Lapband on 03/31/2009 and I :heart: :heart: :heart: LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE:heart::heart: :heart: my band! it is the best thing Ive ever done for myself. for those who have it they have to UNDERSTAND and KNOW that it is a TOOL not a fix and that it is there to help you not to fix it for you. :flowerforyou: im down 140lbs and staying strong still loosing!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BANDSTER since 9/1/09!!!! I love it as well! It is a tough journey! have my ups and downs, but that is why i am here! emotional and motivational support :) <3katherine
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Hi Priskar! I'm a VSG'er too! I had mine January 19th of 09. I've lost 122 pounds. I LOVE it and would love to start a group on here as well! I've only been using this site for the last couple of weeks but it's a really great place with very supportive people! :smile:
  • bjwb1976
    Options
    Hi there!
    I am glad I read your post. I had RNY (Gastric Bypass) on 02/12/09 and I lost 100 LBS!
    I am only 5'3 and I went from 270 lbs to 170 lbs, NOW I AM STUCK! I am in a size 9 and that is great, but I want to be in a size 4-5 AND between 120-135 LBS, so that is another 50 LBS that I need to shed. I have been exersizing off and on, MORE OFF THAN ON.
    THAT is why of course my new years res is now to GET to the GYM everyday and do some kind of cardio and weights and to log my calories here in this site. Im going about it by trying to eat more natural wholesome foods and cutting calories.
    My RNY is still working by limiting quanity of food. BEFORE the surgery I could eat lets say 3 tacos and 2 bean burritos from taco bell and now 2 yrs after the surgery I can eat 2 tacos instead of all that food I use to eat. Im actually JUST recently am able to eat a larger quanity of food, and that scares me because eventually IF IM not careful my pouch will stretch more. This is why I AM going to be serious about my diet this year and EAT well and exersize! I would be devastated if I got huge again. Hope you are doing well after your surgery!!
    Bethany
    :)
  • priskar
    Options
    So nice to see so many new faces posting here! Welcome. It's so great to see other WLS patients come out to offer support and positive commentary on a "tool" that has been so invaluable to quite a few of us.

For more support and some wonderful motivational posts, please join us here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107774-wls-support-and-inspirational-information
  • granitegirl
    Options
    I also had gastric bypass - I had mine in 1999. I was 280 and got down to 155. About 4 years ago I started putting on a little bit here and there and now I have bounced up to 210. It's depressing to think I went through all of it and now here I am. But I will NOT give up! This community has been great & having somewhere to count my calories is an AMAZING tool!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I also had gastric bypass - I had mine in 1999. I was 280 and got down to 155. About 4 years ago I started putting on a little bit here and there and now I have bounced up to 210. It's depressing to think I went through all of it and now here I am. But I will NOT give up! This community has been great & having somewhere to count my calories is an AMAZING tool!

Good for you! That is the key, not giving up. Gaining weight back is normal and will be a life time struggle for anyone. Meaning for those of us who had the surgery and those of us who have not. You can do it!! Keep up the good work! MFP does work if you work it!
  • lightersteps
    lightersteps Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, Gastric Bypass here. Well my name is Angela but I had gastric bypass Jan 2011. Is there anyone still out there?
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yes still here now 33 down since November :)