Runners- first half marathon- need advice

Options
addean1
addean1 Posts: 119 Member
Tomorrow Is my last long run before I taper for race day, training plan says 11-13 miles. So.... Do I save 13 for race day, or run 13 tomorrow so I know I can do it on race day.

Replies

• kriddle2
    kriddle2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's up to you. Depending on how you are feeling when you get to the 11 mile mark. After a certain point it's all mental. When I did my first half a few years ago I never ran about 11 miles before the big day. If you're feeling good go for it!
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I ran 14 on my last long run day. I had to know I could go that far, before I ran the race. Just remember on race day to start out slower than you think you need to, and HAVE fun.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Generally, for a person new to the distance (I am assuming you are but I could be wrong) the advice is to not run the full distance before the race. If you have done your training you will make it without having to do the run.
    I understand the psychological benefit to completing it so it is up to you to decide if it is really necessary.

For my first several halfs I never ran the full 13 miles before the race. I've finished every race.
  • addean1
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I ws thinking, I'll run 12 tomorrow. :). Can't believe how far I've come! A year ago I couldn't run a quarter mile, and now I'm doing a half marathon, crazy!
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I ws thinking, I'll run 12 tomorrow. :). Can't believe how far I've come! A year ago I couldn't run a quarter mile, and now I'm doing a half marathon, crazy!

Wow, that is impressive and inspiring! I am slowly building up my running and a half seems like a pipe dream right now.
    Best of luck on your run!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Great job! You will be addicted to the distance. I love the half! I have another piece of advice, carry toilet paper. You never know when you will need it, and all the port a potties will be out of TP! Best piece of advice I had gotten from someone before my first.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My half-marathon plans have always maxed out at 12. You'll only be adding 1.1 miles, and by then that's a walk in the park :) Good luck on your upcoming race!
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Save the glory for the event!

that's my .02
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I think 12 sounds perfect and congratulations and good luck!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have done 12 for my last long run. This past half I did 11 and was fine. Good Luck!!! Enjoy it!!
  • emmasmom07
    emmasmom07 Posts: 1
    Options
    The farthest I ran before my half was 11 and I did fine on race day! Have fun!
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I did 11 before both of mine and was fine. If it's your first half I'd definitely save the full 13 for race day, it'll be so much more rewarding (I actually cried when I got the finisher medal). Enjoy it, stick to your strategy and most importantly do not rush. Better to be overtaken by people early and then feel smug when you catch them after 10 miles and they're huffing and puffing while you're still pumped and going strong.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

I'm running my first 5K in Sept. I'm doing the C25K program to help me getting ready. I'm not sure if I would be ready in only a year to run a half! I'm just hoping by Sept I can run the 5K!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow Is my last long run before I taper for race day, training plan says 11-13 miles. So.... Do I save 13 for race day, or run 13 tomorrow so I know I can do it on race day.

If it's your first half marathon I'd save the distance for race day. The first half I ran my training program had me running everything BUT the 13.1 miles because (in the persons opinion who put the program together for me) that would make it a let down on race day.

Now though when I train for something I try to do more than what the race will be. When I trained for my du that was this past Sunday the race was a 5k run/26k bike/5k run and I did more than those distances -- and on mega hills! -- than what the race was. TWICE I ran the 5k distance and three (or 4) times I biked less than the race distance (most of my biking was close to 17 HILLY miles) and the majority of my runs were 3.5--4 miles long. I think that this prepared me MORE for the race because I was doing more than I was supposed to.
  • addean1
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I Had a great 12 mile run today - got to mile 10 and felt great, I even pushed hard the last mile. Last week's 10 was a killer, strange how each run is different. Next week's long run is only 8- and the next weekend is the big day
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!!!