Hummus

Options
13»

Replies

• bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus and this is the recipe I usually use: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/12/04/the-hummus-that-changed-everything/ I omit the olive oil on the top and add a bit more lemon juice and garlic to suit my taste, but it's amazing.

Quick tip: To get your homemade hummus ultra smooth like store bought, just peel the chickpeas before you process them. It makes a BIG difference. Love it.

Love home made extra lemony, garlicy, ginger and olive oily :) YUM with warm or toasted pita or on sandwhiches instead of other condiments--on burgers so delish too :)
  • gmhenry2014
    gmhenry2014 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try caramelized onion - yum!
  • LilMissRaptr
    LilMissRaptr Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    At Costco they're selling a cilantro/avocado hummus and it is absolutely incredible!!!I eat it with cucumber slices in lieu of pita bread for breakfast sometimes!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    chipotle hummus rulz!

638007.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like fresh hummus at Greek or Lebanese restaurants best...mmm. But mostly I eat/buy Aldi hummus, classic or garlic flavor. Love both! The roasted red pepper isn't bad either.

I tried Sabra hummus and absolutely hated it. I couldn't finish the small container, even. I don't remember which variety I tried but I am always surprised to see it highly recommended by others. I think Athenos (?) is good, though.

interesting- Sabra is the only one I'll eat from the store. And I consider myself a hummus snob- my BF's family is Syrian and she makes a lot of her own- and then I work at two different ME restaurants- one Lebanese and one Turkish-so I'm familiar with what someone would say "authentic" is LOL and I think theirs is amazing- and sabra is a close second.

I've attempted Tribe- it's awful. worst thing EVER.
  • LilMissRaptr
    LilMissRaptr Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    chipotle hummus rulz!

638007.gif

Okay how the heck do I post gifs and photos...
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    How It All Vegan: Holy Moly Hummus

This is the best hummus recipe I've ever come across! And it's in the MFP food database. Rather than write out the recipe, I'm going to put a link to it. PS: I usually use a can of chickpeas and then add a bit of water for a better consistency. I consider the parsley and jalapenos optional.

http://sharelovealways.blogspot.com/2013/01/vegan-tuesday-holy-moly-hummus-by-how.html
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Ehhhh. I love hummus too much to measure out a serving size.

I love garlic hummus (although you can't eat it alone. You HAVE to make sure other people eat it too), roasted pepper hummus.

I like making it too. I actually JUST figured out how to make it so it's not super soupy and not too thick. My husband even commented on how good it was (I'm not the best cook so for him to say something like that about something I made is a win :laugh: )
  • BeachMom321
    Options
    I am actually eating hummus as I type this! Apples and carrots are my favorite vehicles for hummus distribution, but I really could just eat it with a spoon - it's my go-to food when I can't decide what to eat. It's the perfect lunch, really!

If you're making homemade, the recommendation to peel the chick peas to get it super smooth is spot on! Also, instead of just dumping the ingredients together in the food processor, add each item slowly and blend until smooth each time. It takes quite a bit longer, but it comes out velvety smooth.

Homemade spicy black bean hummus is my all time favorite and I make a mean hummus, if I do say so myself. I make my regular hummus with lots and lots of lemon, some garlic, a little paprika for spice and only enough oil to keep it smooth.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin and harissa hummus is amazing :) I like it with pesto, too.

Hold the phone, cool cat.
    Pesto is a good combo with hummus? Because if that's the case, I'm in heaven and need to try this asap.

Oh, it's heaven on a stick! the tasty zing of the pesto with the creamy hummus... so flippin good. Try a red capsicum and pine nut pesto with it too. Om nom nom.

Chiming in to say, this will be tried this weekend. Trust me. I love hummus. I love pesto. NO idea how it never occurred to me to combine them.
  • HobbitSithLord
    HobbitSithLord Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's kind of funny about the recall because I just tried Trader Joe's red pepper hummus (TO DIE FOR) this week - thankfully that wasn't what was recalled. It's delicious. I'm going to have to try making the black bean at home . . .
  • KristenMarieRuffles
    KristenMarieRuffles Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i love summerfresh light spicy hummus!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    JUST made my own hummus, and I'm snacking on it as I type this. Roasted garlic... fabulous. I've never tried hummus before, but OMG! I could wallow in it. So good. Why does the serving have to be so small?!
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Morrocan Hummous is my absolutely favourite. A touch of harris a makes it spicy yet a little sweet from the apricot too.

Makes normal hummus seems very boring.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin and harissa hummus is amazing :) I like it with pesto, too.

PUMPKIN HUMMUS???! Where does such a magical thing come from? Or do you make it yourself????
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love hummus :) I like Sabra brand best... the roasted red pepper is my favorite... or the olive... I like Trader Joes hummus too...

I haven't had good luck making it myself :( I think I'm not using enough oil maybe? Never comes out creamy enough.