In the office - Stand up Desk

Options
Hey, all!

I just thought I'd share this. I'm going to be trying this out myself since my job is one that doesn't allow for me to be terribly active (I work in IT). One of the statistics that stuck out for me was that extended periods of time spent just sitting reduces production of fat-burning enzymes by 90%.. I figure that, plus the added mobility might help with the weight loss goal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/business/stand-up-desks-gaining-favor-in-the-workplace.html?_r=0

It's an older article from 2012, but I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with things like this. I got approval from my boss to go ahead and set one up, and that's something I've been working on in my downtime (our cubicles are built in such a way that we can adjust the height of the desktop)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Some of my coworkers have adjustable stand-up desks. So they can stand when they want... and sit when they want. They seem to like it.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    We have some adjustable desks in our office as well which allow switching back and forth at will. It hasn't helped anyone lose weight though.

There are walking desks, which are a treadmill with a workstation, that do help with weight loss but it's expensive and most employers won't allow it due to safety concerns. Walking, typing and talking on the phone at once would probably be too much for me. LOL
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    A few of the partners in my office have them and say they feel better at the end of the day. They're both slim, so I can't speak to any of the other claims.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'd love a treadmill desk! I always do my best thinking when I'm on my feet and moving around, but that's hard because I'm in IT too. Maybe I'll cross my fingers for a standing desk, just for a start :laugh:
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Several of the guys here have fitness balls for chairs - they really seem to enjoy them. I don't join in - sitting on one of those with a skirt is a little worrysome....
  • Kiwi_Made
    Kiwi_Made Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'd love an adjustable one, to set between sitting and standing. Stand for 45 mins and sit for 15 would be ideal I think.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    At one of my former jobs, two women requested stand up desks with the idea of being more active and losing weight. Both were average to slightly overweight women and their requests were granted to the tune of several hundred dollars per desk.

What happened?

One of them got pregnant and had to get a tall pub chair to sit at her desk so her ankles wouldn't swell so badly.

The other one saw this and decided a tall pub chair would be comfy.

The desks were pointless IMO.

But if it will cost you nothing (and your company nothing) why not give it a shot!?
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I shall tell my friend about this thread. She has a painful injury involving her hips and butt, possibly from running but not sure. She cannot sit for any length of time without pain. She can use a spin bike (she's an instructor) and she now has a stand up desk. She says it is helping. She also has a new physiotherapist, who has done wonders on exercise and treatment.

The post about the women getting bar stool chairs for their desks was one that made me shake my head!
  • Knittinger
    Knittinger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a little biased because I sell office furniture but try reading this:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/solution_essays/SE_Sit_Stand_Move_Repeat.pdf

I have one at work and absolutely love it, not so much for losing weight but because it allows me to focus in the afternoons....I get a little spacey at around 2pm and I find standing up keeps me alert instead of reaching for coffee or chocolate! Hope this helps!
  • sunshine3286
    sunshine3286 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm actually considering getting a standing desk at my job. Losing weight with it isn't a primary focus but preventing extra weight gain is. This is my first job which requires me to sit all day. Coming from working in retail and food service and moving around all the time I instantly gained weight. Another reason would be that the human body isn't designed to sit for such long periods. I feel my back, shoulders, and hips are more sore from working in an office. I'm hoping that by being able to stand and shift as I need to I will be more comfortable.
  • mceidsness
    mceidsness Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Knittinger:
    I'm a little biased because I sell office furniture but try reading this:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/solution_essays/SE_Sit_Stand_Move_Repeat.pdf

I have one at work and absolutely love it, not so much for losing weight but because it allows me to focus in the afternoons....I get a little spacey at around 2pm and I find standing up keeps me alert instead of reaching for coffee or chocolate! Hope this helps!
    ^^ I tried the link and the site says it can't find the page... :(
    I've been wanting to try to find a kneeling chair.
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Several of the guys here have fitness balls for chairs - they really seem to enjoy them. I don't join in - sitting on one of those with a skirt is a little worrysome....

Just chiming in here to say that I sit on a fitness/yoga ball for a chair, and sitting on it in a skirt is no different. Full skirts, short skirts, long skirts, tight skirts, dresses, even throwing a blanket on my lap when the AC is blasting all work with the ball. You're more stable than you might think, and even in heels it works. I tend to kick my shoes off under my desk, but that's just me.

It can absolutely work in a dress/skirt, if you want to do it, you should try it! :flowerforyou:
  • Knittinger
    Knittinger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.hermanmiller.com/research/solution-essays/sit_stand_move_repeat.html

Sorry....I hope this works, for some reason it wouldn't paste as a link. if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it!