Gained Weight

Options
I have been counting my calories for about 5 wks now at 1200. I had managed to lose 7 lbs this way and get down to 167 from 174 but the past three days i steadily gained 3 lbs. I may have miscalculated my calories by a couple hundred but i hate that i gain weight so easily. i stopped running a couple weeks ago (which boosted my metabolism greatly and helped me lose weight quickly) because i hurt the tendons in my knees, which pretty much ruled out any other activity requiring the use of my joints. I would go swimming, but i have no pool nearby that i can use, any other one requires a membership which i cannot afford. i take daily walks but they do little to nothing for me other than get me to have some fresh air. I am looking a buying a bike, but have been trying to look at our finances and find the best price for a good used bike. i think it will be the best thing for me, but until then, i am stuck with my diet which is not helping me lose weight at the rate i should be. any advice? i am losing hope in myself.

Replies

• jenna40_2go
    jenna40_2go Posts: 101
    Options
    I am right there with you! I lost 7 lbs over 3 weeks then this week I gained. I know I had some bad days but except for one day I stayed under goal and exercised regularly. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I guess I'm not eating at a deficit enough. Have you changed your eating habits and goals since you can't workout? And with the walking can you increase your pace without pain or is it too much?
  • albrown83
    albrown83 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hmmm... Well maybe think about TOM/PMS (sorry if TMI). It could be water retention, with workout I like to use the Fitness Blender channel on YouTube its free and you can find low impact AMAZING workouts on their channel!!! But also remember to fuel your body. :) I know its a short and sweet response but hope this helps! Keep that chin up! You'll keep rocking it!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    if you're exercising, you NEED more than 1200 calories a day. it took me a while to figure out why/how I gained 15 pounds in one week when I went home for christmas. the way I see it, your body isn't getting enough nutrients, so when you give it even just a little more, it holds on to everything you put in it, because it doesn't know when you're going to give it more, again, and it's tucking what it can away for later. there's a reason athletes eat so much; they need it to fuel their bodies.

I don't know if this helped any, but best of luck to you! :)
  • camralens
    camralens Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It could be stress. If you're stressing about eating and exercise, it could cause your body to freak out a little. Stop stressing, and it will happen.
  • dcjackson50
    dcjackson50 Posts: 196
    Options
    I am trying AGAIN to get back on track and stay focused. I have about 50 pounds to lose and have gone up and down by 3-5 pounds over the last couple of months.

Not sure about your diet, but I know that when I'm not watching salt I can go up by a few pounds very quick & easy.
    For me, I love carbs but they don't love me. I know excluded them is not smart or realistic, but I have the most success when I eat healthy fats, veggies and fewer carbs !
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    two weeks ago I gained 6 lbs. I looked back at my diary and saw why I did. I changed my foods I ate, then this week I lost 4 of the 6 lbs I gained. the data is there for us to use, so use it. it's ok to make mistakes, we all do, just learn from them.
  • BlackDaisy85
    BlackDaisy85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Prince: what do you mean you changed ur food? Did you gain weight because you ate something different or went over your calories?
  • BlackDaisy85
    Options
    I am trying AGAIN to get back on track and stay focused. I have about 50 pounds to lose and have gone up and down by 3-5 pounds over the last couple of months.

Not sure about your diet, but I know that when I'm not watching salt I can go up by a few pounds very quick & easy.
    For me, I love carbs but they don't love me. I know excluded them is not smart or realistic, but I have the most success when I eat healthy fats, veggies and fewer carbs !

Im there with you hun. 35 to go here.
  • BlackDaisy85
    Options
    if you're exercising, you NEED more than 1200 calories a day. it took me a while to figure out why/how I gained 15 pounds in one week when I went home for christmas. the way I see it, your body isn't getting enough nutrients, so when you give it even just a little more, it holds on to everything you put in it, because it doesn't know when you're going to give it more, again, and it's tucking what it can away for later. there's a reason athletes eat so much; they need it to fuel their bodies.

I don't know if this helped any, but best of luck to you! :)

Ive tried eating a few more calories but i dont lose weight i just maintain. The only way i lose weight is exercise and the strict calorie goal. I have a super slow metabolism.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It could be normal fluctuation, water weight. My weight fluctuates for many reasons, but always evens out. I doubt you've gained eating 1200 a day though, for most that is very low. Are you weighing and measuring all your foods?? Look back into your diary and see if you've eaten foods containing sodium, that makes me retain water for several days.