Yogurt instead of mayo?

Options
2»

Replies

• ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I guess I better try the yogurt. I worship mayo, but eat it infrequently these days. LOVE greek yogurt by itself (if plain, then needs some honey). Sounds weird with much of what is already posted, but this could be a whole 'nother world waiting for me!!
  • droxeene
    droxeene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've used greek yogurt in place of mayo in a lot of recipes & it does have a slightly different taste but not bad. What I tend to do now is do a mix of about 1/2 yogurt & 1/2 mayo & I can't tell the difference-except in the calories!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that since I use kraft olive oil mayo with cracked pepper at 35 calories 4grams of fat...and miracle whip 40 I believe calories 3.5 grams of fat tbsp. Love my mayo on sandwiches...not really trying to ever give it up. lol

I eat greek yogurt (one cup 23 grams of protein if fage 0 or 22 grams if trader joe's) daily anyway for protein mixed with protein powder(30 grams per serving) 53 grams of protein in one sitting. :)

I have made a dressing for carrots and salad using greek yogurt.... fresh garlic, cilantro, chives, no sodium rice vingear and spices blended and it was pretty good. May try on chicken or tuna instead of mayo for sandwich one of these days.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For creamy dressings I find that fat free greek yogurt works just as well as mayo. But for things like tuna or egg salad, since I use such a small amount of dressing, I go for fat free sour cream for a more savory taste.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    There really is nothing wrong with mayo. If you like it, eat it. Maybe just use less.

I am sad because I can't have it due to it having vinegar in it. I mix my tuna and chicken with hardboiled eggs, avocado, and seasoning.
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Anytime I make chicken salad. I'm not a big mayo fan and Greek yogurt by itself grosses me out but you really can't taste the difference in tuna/chicken salad. It's seriously amazing and it makes me feel less guilty for eating it.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can't stand low fat or fat free mayo. I often sub. Plain, ff Greek yogurt to save calories. My diet usually contains a large amount of fat without adding mayo.
  • poisonivy73
    poisonivy73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt. A spoonful on chili con carne in place of cheese or sour cream is lovely. It's great in potato salad or any other salads where you'd normally use mayo. I also like tzatziki - a dip made with yogurt, grated cucumber, fresh mint, a bit of garlic, a splash of balsamic and salt to taste. Great as a mayo sub on sandwiches (it doesn't taste like mayo, of course) or as a healthier dip for raw veggies.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Why are you interested in switching? Protein? Calories? (Although, I'll cringe if you say calories... Or fat. Both of which people need.)

Otherwise, you could just make the switch to an all natural or vegan mayonnaise (health food store) or an olive oil based one (even Kraft offers that) if the ingredients are the issue. I've also heard of people using avocado in place of mayo (of course, you'll need to rely on some spices for flavor) if the nutritional profile is what you're considering.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    You can also mix Greek yogurt with cottage cheese to produce a pretty decent mayo sub.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I use it as I would sour cream. For instance tonight I had it with the Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch mix for dipping veggies and a few chips. Haven't ever thought of using it for things like chicken salad, but I definitely think I will give it a try now that someone mentioned it.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use plain yogurt in my dressings and in my tuna salad. Personally, the mayo never had enough of a flavor profile in my recipes to tell the difference.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For dressings and salads, I do like plain Greek yogurt. But for a spread on sandwich, I either go with the real thing or smush on a ripe avocado slice instead. :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I love it, especially whole milk yogurt. I make salmon salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, surimi salad. I also like to add a 1/2 c of shelled edamame and 1/2 c frozen corn to further boost the protein.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There is nothing that has the rich taste and mouth feel of real mayonnaise. Homemade mayonnaise is even better. Pure oil, whole eggs, a little dry mustard and vinegar is about as good as it gets. It's a magic emulsion that has no equal, although hollandaise come pretty close.

I eat whole milk Greek yogurt with 10% milk fat and it would still never come close to substituting for real mayonnaise anymore than mayonnaise would be an acceptable substitute for yogurt.

I'm a firm believer in eating the real thing, but just eating less of it. One tablespoon of real mayo in a limited serving size is so much more satisfying than a cup of low fat yogurt trying to do what it just can't do well. When I try these low cal substitutions, it just makes me want the real thing even more. They just don't satisfy the urge for the real thing and I end up eating more of whatever and other things too because I'm not getting what I really want so I want more food to fill that craving. Eat real food and learn to set limits on how much and when to stop or you'll be on a diet the rest of your life and pretty miserable not ever eating the foods you really crave. I'm not on a diet, I do watch my total calories and try to burn a lot more than I eat every day, but there's no restriction on what I can eat.

Mayonnaise, or any other specific food, doesn't make you fat. Eating too much and not being active enough is what makes you fat. Eat less and move more and you don't have to make these silly choices pretending you're eating something that doesn't taste like the thing you're pretending it to be.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Does anyone that actually likes the taste of mayo use yogurt instead of mayo in, say, egg salad or tuna salad to cut calories or sodium? 1 cup of greek yogurt has the same sodium as 1 TB of most mayos but I wonder about the taste.
    I never knew most mayo has soy in it, thus yogurt is a good option for me in those egg salads and chicken salads.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I like using plain yogurt instead of sour cream, but not instead of mayo. I guess it's just a matter of taste. I do love mayo, but I use a lot less of it than I used to. I actually prefer tzatziki over mayo now. I also like to use as spreads and dips baba ganoush, smashed avocado, mashed roasted sweet potatoes, mashed beans mixed with a little salsa, and red pepper hummus.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    People here in my country do it aaaaallll the time, so much so that most young people don't even know that it's "supposed" to be mayo.