Staying Fit with an ankle injury

bonster7474
bonster7474 Posts: 1 Member
I just recently started getting in shape and losing weight and I then I broke my ankle. I can not bear any weight on my left ankle for at least 4-6 weeks. I am going to continue with my calorie counting, but not sure what I can do to help stay fit with not being able to put any weight on that ankle. Open to any suggestions.

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Are you able to find a hand cycle? (not sure of the real name there) They are a good cardio workout. Also, upper body strength training would be good.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I broke my leg at 22 yrs old....
    Man that sucked....so I was out of the gym, and didn't feel like eating.
    I lost like 25lbs.
    Went from 175 -> 150

I was so glad when the doc finally gave me the OK to start putting some weight back on my leg.....

But if you can get in the gym, and do upper body machines.....do that.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Do you have access to a pool? Can you go in the water, or do you have a cast that doesn't permit it?
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    If your insurance covers it, as soon as you are able I would recommend going to physical therapy. I sprained my foot and ankle and had a hard time recovering until I roped in regular PT. I only wish I had done it sooner.

Also, I had favored my other foot and ended up injuring it in the process. Wasted even more time recovering. Yikes. Learn from my mistake and be kind to your healthy ankle!
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Invest in a set of resistance bands. You can do all sorts of upper body exercises with them while sitting in a chair, with no strain on your ankle.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I agree with the other posters about using upper body machines
  • Sddysart
    Sddysart Posts: 33 Member
    That sucks....I'm in the same situation. I tore the Meniscus up in my knee and have been home on the couch for a few weeks. I go in for surgery this coming Thursday.....I'ms sure you don't feel so great either so the only thing I can suggest is to work on upper body strength. Good luck my friend and hang in there.