Help - too many supplements to choose from

Options
debsfran
debsfran Posts: 97 Member
I've read about so many different supplements that aid weight loss etc, so many to the extent I'm
Totally confused. L cartnitine, CoQ10, CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), magnesium to mention a few.

Looking for tried & tested recommendations of any single or combination of supplements that are fat burners, increase energy/endurance and in turn aid weightloss

Replies

• SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Weight loss supplements don't work, their basically snake oil, however caffeine supplements will help boost your energy, so look for something with caffeine in it.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Probably not what you want to hear, but the best weight loss supplement I know of is exercise.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Anavar is one that works but it's a steroid.
  • renegadegeek
    renegadegeek Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There is no one-size-fits-all magic pill. Every body is different, and many do fine without supplementation at all. However, if you have a specific problem that is hindering your weight loss -- like adrenal fatigue slowing your metabolism -- you can supplement to help that specific condition and may see results. It takes tracking, time and research or the help of a nutritionist. Best of luck to you!
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've read about so many different supplements that aid weight loss etc, so many to the extent I'm
    Totally confused. L cartnitine, CoQ10, CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), magnesium to mention a few.

Looking for tried & tested recommendations of any single or combination of supplements that are fat burners, increase energy/endurance and in turn aid weightloss

My recommended supplement is Adderall. Dropped weight like crazy when I took it. But that's probably not what you mean.

Unless you are talking about getting into prescription drugs, the weight loss these supplements contribute to happens exclusively to your wallet.
  • Ani45
    Ani45 Posts: 47
    Options
    You should only take supplements if you are deficient in something. E.g. I am vegetarian and my iron, vit D and B12 are low when not taking vitamin supplements and this makes me tired. Therefore, I take them as multivitamins.

Supplements like L carnitine wont do anything if you don't excercise right after you take it however, your body makes L carnitine by itself and IT IS enough to lose weight without the supplements. You can try and see tho, it might speed up the process A BIT. Research them on the internet :)
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    For every study showing that a certain supplement or vitamin is effective for fat loss, there is another study that refutes it.

The only ergogenic aids that have been proven effective are creatine, caffeine, and water. Yes, they list water as a dietary aid...

That being said, if you are deficient in a specific micro or macronutrient, adding it to your diet via supplementation may help you to shift some weight around. Also, even if they haven't been proven to work in clinical studies a lot of supplements can actually help by increasing your energy expenditure, decreasing your appetite, helping to shed water weight, etc.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of supplements don't work. If you're in good health and eat a reasonably healthy diet, then you have no need for supplements. You're far better off spending the extra $$ on fruits and vegetables, or on exercise classes.