First week trying to loose weight, gained weight instead!

Options
Today, I'm a bit sad - I stepped on the scale and I've actually put on a bit of weight. I've only been cutting my calorie intake for a week and I've heard this is common when you hit your body with a new diet. It was still rather discouraging... *dramatic sigh*

Just wanted to share this experience in case there are others who've just started out on a new diet and are going through the same thing - you're not alone! I'm sure if I am consistent, I will start seeing results over the next few months.

Keep on keeping on :happy:

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    How much is a bit of weight?

Body weight fluctuates, can be up to +/- 10 lbs fluctuation.

Also when you first start exercising you will gain weight, most commonly called water weight. Its not fat.

You are right, you just need to be consistent and you will see the changes in the next few months.
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    sounds like you've got the right attitude. It's tough when you're first starting, I'm in the same boat. Did you increase your sodium intake, to make your lower cal meals more palatable? Speaking from experience, that can def. add water weight. Good luck, and don't get down!
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3. My first week I lost 4 pounds and was so psyched but my 2nd week I gained 1 back. My hopes were crushed (alright, maybe crushed is being dramatic, but certainly disappointed). I've now taken the time to really look at what I eat and even though my calorie consumption was down, my carb consumption was up! Turns out, a lot of the "good for you" foods I was eating aren't necessarily good for me and my body. This is the first time in my life I've had to diet & exercise, it's really been a learning experience for me. Hang in there and keep us updated.
  • PleaseDeleteMyAccount
    Options
    The bit of weight I mentioned was 2 kg - that's about 4.4 pounds.

Thanks for all the tips. I will try to pay attention to the carb & sodium intake. I was only paying attention to the calories - I thought that was all that mattered!
  • PleaseDeleteMyAccount
    Options
    An update: as of today (4 days since the post), I've now lost the initial weight gain... so I'm back to the weight I started with.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I was only paying attention to the calories - I thought that was all that mattered!

It is all that matters for weight loss - not necessarily health. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight no matter what the makeup of the food is - 100% fat or 100% protein or 100% carb or any variation of f/p/c. If you diet is high in sodium, you may be retaining a little water. It all settles down in the end. Just keep a deficit and don't listen to any 'diet' advice other than that.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Such fluctuations are more than normal (during the day your weight is likely to change by over 2kg if not double, depending on your size). Sodium, hormonal fluctuations, the amount of food and waste you have in your system, they will make your weight vary by 2kg easily, so don't take that as a discouragement.

Especially for women, the scales can be a poor measurement of progress, and I wouldn't worry unless you haven't lost weight at all in 4-6 weeks. You're likely going to experience monthly gain/loss cycles due to hormonal factors.

And unless you have particular medical conditions, there's no reason to avoid carbohydrates. Just make sure you get your proper nutrition though (fats, protein, fiber, micronutrients).
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're just starting MFP, but this link if full of information to help you develop a sustainable plan for losing. Best of luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're just starting MFP, but this link if full of information to help you develop a sustainable plan for losing. Best of luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

This!

This...and if you're still not losing weight, read this-

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/