Baked Chicken and a Side of Frustration

Options
Am I the only one who gets totally frustrated with going out to eat? I have two children, 8 and 12, who really like to go out on the weekend to eat. We have lowered it to once every two weeks but it's still such an ordeal when we do it. I almost hate the websites that list their nutritional information because then I know how badly what they have is going to affect my weigh in that week. Sometimes it's the calories (well, the calories are always an issue!) but I am always supremely angry and frustrated with the amount of sodium packed in restaurant foods. Over 2000 mg of sodium in a salad? Really? It's almost easier for me to just cook at home on those nights because at least then I can regulate what goes into my mouth.

Replies

• brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am also frustrated with sodium. The only thing with me is. My goal right now is weight loss and I expect the benefits of my weight loss will be greated than the detriment of high sodium. I still look at sodium but to keep things simple for me I'm holding off the strick sodium budgeting until my maintenance period.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    A meal out every 2 weeks most likely won't do much damage. It's constantly doing it that will. The sodium is 2000 for a salad? I never use dressing unless I make it myself. I learned to enjoy most foods without condiments.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I much rather prefer to stay at home and eat. Then I know, without a doubt what I'm eating.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I get sick of only being able to get grilled chicken/fish and steamed veggies off a damn menu.

Forget, I'll eat at home.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Two things.

1. What's on that salad?

2. Eating out one day every two weeks shouldn't torpedo your progress. We can enjoy life, too, and eating out is one of the things to enjoy. Don't let yourself obsess too much.
  • Dragonborn79
    Dragonborn79 Posts: 161
    Options
    I agree. Restaurants suck about sodium and usually about not listing their nutritional data at all. As others have said, an occasional cheat is okay. But sometimes it's just not worth it to me. I would rather make my own cheat meal than waste it at a mediocre restaurant.

Maybe there is something else your family can do instead of going out to eat. Like go to a museum, see a movie, go to the zoo, see a play. There might be a fun alternative you can brainstorm together.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of baked chicken and steamed veggies both at home and eating out. I can't go out and eat thousands of calories when I've spent two weeks counting ounces, eating plain spinach out of a bag, and forcing down more baked chicken and more steamed broccoli. It's a waste of money and time when I know I won't enjoy it. I'd rather do something where food isn't involved.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    3 suggestions

Only eat half the meal, box the other half to go and eat another day

A lot of restaurants have those 600 calorie or less meals, have u tried them?

If u get a salad, a lot of sodium is in the dressing. Get it on the side and only put a little on to get the flavor
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I don't stress it. I count as accurately as I can but I enjoy a meal out and get back on track the next day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still love going out. Sodium shouldn't really affect your weight in the long run, unless for some reason you have to lose weight on the scale every week... otherwise, unless you have high blood pressure, it's really not a big deal.

I mean, I can make some good grilled chicken and broccoli, but the restaurant stuff with all its sodium is still better most of the time. And my baked chicken is often too dry... plus I can't cook fish as well as most restaurants I know either... I just stick to places that have nutrition info.

But I guess if I was a great cook I would feel the same way... I'm just not.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Two things.

1. What's on that salad?

2. Eating out one day every two weeks shouldn't torpedo your progress. We can enjoy life, too, and eating out is one of the things to enjoy. Don't let yourself obsess too much.

This?

I mean a DQ crispy chicken salad without dressing has 750mg of sodium due to the chicken being breaded, bacon and cheese on it...

I eat out usually once a week last week was DQ chicken strips and they didn't have 2000mg of sodium...and I was still in goal.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have to say - I don't give a crap about sodium. I've had regular blood tests and there is nothing in my blood work which indicates a need to watch sodium, and even if it puffs me up the next day or two (and hell, it really does), I know it's salt bloat and not weight. I love salt. I put it on most of my food. My MFP diary doesn't track it. Until I have a health reason to watch it, it isn't on my radar...
  • MsLaToya30
    MsLaToya30 Posts: 29
    Options
    I totally agree with you on that one!
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I hear what you say and feel your pain! My weight jumps about 2lb after a pizza dinner (shakes fist at Pizzahut) just because of the high sodium content but then I drink lots of water and within a day or so it comes right back down again. If you're worried about the extra calories then pack in some intense exercise, 500 calories in the bag makes the menu far less intimidating. I'd avoid anything in batter or deep fried but most things are do-able. Don't stress, enjoy your outings with your family and don't let worrying about sodium spoil the occasion. :flowerforyou:

Edited to make sense.
  • tildastwistedlife
    tildastwistedlife Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For those who were curious, I was using the customizer from Red Robin and the salad I was looking at was the Chicken alla Caprese Salad. There was 2015 mg of sodium before doing any customizing to it (like removing things). I make Caprese Salad at home so I had thought it might not be too horrible. Oh well. From what I've read, salads can be the worst thing.

I get it and I make smart choices when eating out. I was more making an observation regarding my frustration of having to sit in front of the computer or My Fitness Pal before going out to research what would be an appropriate meal. We ended up going to Longhorn. They have an "Under 500" section on their menu so I ended up with a side salad with raspberry vinagrette, 2 shrimp skewers, asparagus, and mixed vegetables. I like their mixed vegetables because they are real and not frozen, plus they are almost undercooked instead of the mush that most restaurants serve. The sodium was still not great but I was able to stay under for the day, AND I just realized that the portion on MFP had said 3 skewers so I just had to go back and change that from yesterday which made me feel even better about how yesterday went!
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We eat out twice a week...one sit down restaurant and then one fast food. I eat whatever the Heck I want...lol. This week I had hot wings and fries and last night a hot fudge sundae...weigh in was this morning and I am still down a pound from last week. Over all I have lost 36 pounds from January. And let's not forget last weekend buffet of bbq and margaritas....lol. I also try to get in a three mile walk everyday...so don't beat yourself up if you want to go out to eat.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated going out to eat because I can make just about anything better at home for less calories (and money!). It's annoying to waste calories on foods that are just "meh".

Restaurant salads are notorious for being high calorie/sodium. Honestly you might be better off with a small portion of something considered "less healthy". My kids love to go to Culver's (a fast food burger place) every couple weeks, I just get a "Snack Pack" (ha!) which is a hamburger, small fries and a small diet soda. 621 calories for the meal, and a lot of times I don't even finish the fries and it feels like a cheat but it fits into my calories and macros.

Good for you for looking up the calories BEFORE you go & making it fit. It's frustrating but the more you do it, you will learn what fits into your calories so you don't have to check every time.
  • squiggysmama
    Options
    we eat out rarely -- but when we do, I just make the best choice I can, and don't worry about it. If I go over, I go over. One meal won't change my long-term success. As long as I don't make a habit of it, and don't pig out without regard to the consequences when I *am* there, it's no big deal.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Change your weigh in day to mid week so the sodium doesn't affect your weigh ins.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't stress it. I count as accurately as I can but I enjoy a meal out and get back on track the next day.

This. I go out 2 - 3 times a month. I get what I enjoy, plan ahead by eating light earlier in the day, make sure I get a good workout in & just enjoy myself & the company.