Should I bother with protein powder?

Options
I've been having a little trouble getting in enough protein lately. I'm a softball player in off season right now, so I'm lifting three to four times a week. Using protein powder post-workout seems like a good idea, BUT I'm not sure what kind to use.

Also, I follow a mostly clean diet, and I'm not too keen on dumping unnecessary chemicals or fillers into my body.

So I'm looking for a natural protein powder, best for use right after workouts. And opinions on protein powder in general.

Thanks!

Replies

• LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I would like to know, too. I was just told that I don't eat enough protein in my diet. Would like to know as well how to upper my intake without have to eat eggs and joghurt all the time.

Great question. I will follow this threat to find new ideas.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is good, I like Met-RX myself.

You can't go wrong w/ milk.....
    Has both whey and casein in it.....

But eat chicken breast also.
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese

I can easily hit my daily protein goal without powder.......but I still use it at times
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, definitely use protein powder if you are lifting and not getting enough protein in your daily diet.

I always choose the natural, unflavored whey protein powders. I like to mix it with yogurt, berries, coconut, etc. for breakfast, so flavored is not my thing at all.

If you're looking for organic, super-high-quality whey protein, I'd recommend Tera's Whey. It is very expensive and has a slightly lower protein content than some others (22 g a serving, if I remember correctly) but it is about as pesticide and chemical free as you can get.

Also, NOW Foods makes an organic whey protein. It's not as high in protein as their NOW Sports line of whey protein isolate, which has I think 25 g a serving; the NOW Sports unflavored whey isolate is what I've settled on using. It's higher protein and less expensive than Tera's Whey, though it is not organic. And I believe whey isolate is idea for use right after a workout, though I think any of them can be used that way pretty effectively.

My strongest opinion on whey protein powder is: never bother with any of the flavored ones-- even those with "natural vanilla" flavor are DISGUSTING and taste nothing like what they say they do. Go for unflavored and unsweetened, then you'll be able to mix it with anything, even put it in baked goods!
  • amykd1962
    amykd1962 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm trying to understand this as well-and i just read a blog post about the chemicals in protein drink powders--might help answer your question. Here's the site:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/12/13/food-babe-investigates-protein-shakes/
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I"m a huge fan of About Time. Great value all around ($35-40 for 2lbs on Amazon), great ingredients, great amount of protein for the amount of calories, tastes great, etc. Highly recommended!
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like nature's bounty women's protein ( walgreens) and quest bars.

As for foods try eating more chicken and fish, egg( whites) plain yogurt, cottage cheese, lintels , beans, nuts/seeds and their butters.

Powders are not necessary but they can help. I like adding a scoop to my oatmeal or yogurt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, definitely use protein powder if you are lifting and not getting enough protein in your daily diet.

I always choose the natural, unflavored whey protein powders. I like to mix it with yogurt, berries, coconut, etc. for breakfast, so flavored is not my thing at all.

If you're looking for organic, super-high-quality whey protein, I'd recommend Tera's Whey. It is very expensive and has a slightly lower protein content than some others (22 g a serving, if I remember correctly) but it is about as pesticide and chemical free as you can get.

Also, NOW Foods makes an organic whey protein. It's not as high in protein as their NOW Sports line of whey protein isolate, which has I think 25 g a serving; the NOW Sports unflavored whey isolate is what I've settled on using. It's higher protein and less expensive than Tera's Whey, though it is not organic. And I believe whey isolate is idea for use right after a workout, though I think any of them can be used that way pretty effectively.

My strongest opinion on whey protein powder is: never bother with any of the flavored ones-- even those with "natural vanilla" flavor are DISGUSTING and taste nothing like what they say they do. Go for unflavored and unsweetened, then you'll be able to mix it with anything, even put it in baked goods!

I like Teras Whey also. I bought it when I was in a pinch. I don't find flavored whey protein powders disgusting at all though. Optimum Nutrition makes natural (stevia sweetened) protein powder as well.

Or go to Whole Foods and see what they have really.
  • fit2014yay
    fit2014yay Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    In to read later
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    No. The best source of nutrients is food, not powders or pills. Try greek yogurt for breakfast.
  • xkissylou
    xkissylou Posts: 76
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet 100% Natural Whey Protein Isolate. Gmo-free, Soy-free, Gluten-free.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended I look doe something mainly whey isolate ( I like really thick fruit smoothies sometimes for breakfast or after the gym). Right now we have the optimum nutrition vanilla and it is pretty good.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    That boils down to personal preference.

If I can afford to get my protein purely from solid food ($ and calorie) I will, but protein powder is an easy way to boost your numbers if you find protein lacking, or close to the edge on fat or carbs.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I havent used protein powder since 2012....and I have made gains just fine. I'd rather eat my protein anyways
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder? It's only 11g per serving but it's also got 11g of fiber and there are no chemicals.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't have great experience with whey powders. I'm a huge fan of Vega Sport Performance or the Vega Protein Smoothies. They have less protein than the whey ones, but don't cause me any digestion issues like whey does.
  • FilipaF2014
    Options
    Try to stay away from powdered stuff, pills or drinks, if you eat correctly for what you need your body to do you will have the right amount of protein.
    Instead of spending money in packaged stuff, consult a dietitian and ask them to put an eating plan together for you. If you can get it right.
    Eat 'clean' (I.e. No packaged food) and you'll find your body will respond better to whatever you want it to do.
  • annabeld123
    annabeld123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find it really difficult to eat enough protein just from foods as they tend to keep you fuller for longer. I've started having one shake a day to help me reach my target. I use whey isolate 90 from theproteinworks.com. It's low cal and carb but has about 23g of protein so is perfect for anyone trying to build lean muscle and reduce body fat. They have loads of flavours to choose from, as well as a natural non flavoured one. They are really reasonably priced and compared to other shakes I have tried, are easy on the stomach. I have a referral code which will get you a free 250g bag of protein (flavour of your choice) if you spend over £10. Just enter it at the checkout under referral code and it will ask you to choose your free protein. Code is AD51676.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I may not have an alternative to a powerdered supplement/shake, because I am allergic to all types of poultry. Most lean meals call for turkey or chicken, which I both can eat and digest. I use sometimes fish but I can't eat it all the time.

SInce I started using the powder I have notices that I feel longer full, but still trying to adjust my eating plans to the new situation.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    I only use it because it's convenient... I also use it as a creamer/sweetener for my coffee. Try to get most of your protein from whole foods first though - maybe have a shake once a day - that'll be like 20-25 grams of protein depending on which brand you get. =)
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Try to get most of your protein from whole foods first though - maybe have a shake once a day - that'll be like 20-25 grams of protein depending on which brand you get. =)
    Good idea. I'm usually just a little short everyday.