HELP WITH CARB MACROS

Options
Hi,
I'm really needing help -- I currently eat macros at 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fats.
I'm only have calculated to eat 113g of carbs a day but everyone I know says that is too low. & I'm noticing the effects on my body and mind. I need to do a refeed day soon... but I just don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    112g isn't really low. I've done similar goal while running. But if you feel it is too low, adjust your intake. 30/40/30 is just a guideline. Adjust for what works for you.
    You can also tailor it close to your needs based on bodyweight.
    Check out this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Don't use ratios for macros. Figure out macros based on weight. I have a video linked in my profile about how to do it. I'm guessing your current ratios have you eating more protein then you need which is causing the carbs to be on the low side.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You might need more carbs, I know I start feeling a bit whoozy when my carbs are too low. Just change your macros a bit and see how you feel.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    As someone said using the body weight principal. It's a gram for every pound I think....back from reading New Rules of Lifting. However I do use percentages so I don't get too hung up on the details and have
    40 carbs
    30 protein
    30 fat (good fats, avocado, nuts etc)
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do 30g carbs. 113g carbs is definitely not too low for most bodies, as long as you're fueling with complex carbs and not simple carbs (which I see you do). Do you eat back your exercise/burn calories? If not, that could be one cause. If you do, maybe it's not your diet but something else.

Edit:
    This may sound ludicrous to you, but, I do know that if I am not getting enough fat in my diet I end up feeling lethargic and just... sick. Maybe increase your fats a tad and decrease either protein or carbs?
  • EllieB_5
    Options
    On second thought, decrease your water. I see you average about 160 ounces a day?!? Unless you live in the Sahara and exercise like a fiend... or have a medical condition... you do not need that much water. Have you heard of water toxicity? Research it and come to your own conclusions. There is no 'dose' of water that can kill you, simply drinking enough water to dilute your electrolytes to dangerous levels is enough to kill you; be that 160ooz or 300oz. Unless at least half of that 160 ounces of water intake includes an electrolyte mix, I'd be concerned.
  • EllieB_5
    Options
    On second thought, decrease your water. I see you average about 160 ounces a day?!? Unless you live in the Sahara and exercise like a fiend... or have a medical condition... you do not need that much water. Have you heard of water toxicity? Research it and come to your own conclusions. There is no 'dose' of water that can kill you, simply drinking enough water to dilute your electrolytes to dangerous levels is enough to kill you; be that 160ooz or 300oz. Unless at least half of that 160 ounces of water intake includes an electrolyte mix, I'd be concerned.

Oops, did my math wrong. But still too much water :tongue:
  • punkypump
    punkypump Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't only eat 30g of carbs a day... that's seriously like 1/2 cup of oatmeal... I'm wondering if you were trying to say something else?