Leg cast - Upper body workout ?

Options
Hi everyone! :)
So i recently tore a tendon and I have to keep my cast on (from about 3 inches under my knee to my toes) for about 2-3 weeks, not too bad.
The thing is, I was starting to do well with staying motivated and losing weight and I dont want to lose that.

Ive been looking for stuff to do that would require no pressure on my leg, but I havnt found much except maybe pushups and a plank (on my knees), and of course crunches/situps (which i'd have to be careful with doing). Im not really sure what else to do, any suggestions?

Im looking more for cardio right now as im concerned with fat loss and i hate gaining muscle before i lose the fat, but anything to burn calories at this point works because im just siting around all day :(

Replies

• GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle, so grab some cans (assuming you don't have weights) and do presses, raises, curls etc.

You can also throw punches - I know this is a common thing for people with reduced mobility to do.
  • sasasasa1
    sasasasa1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i actually have weights, 5 pound ones! i also have those workout bands
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    i actually have weights, 5 pound ones! i also have those workout bands

Good idea to use these. Don't beat yourself up too badly if you don't feel as energetic as you did pre-injury. When I broke my leg and needed surgery and metal plates & screws I asked my Ortho if I could do upper body weights in machines at the gym still, and he just said "sure", with a smirk. I tried, but did not have the energy for it. He knew that most of my body's energy would be going toward healing... and I wouldn't have much left for the gym. Granted, your injury is not as serious as mine was (it took me 1 year as expected to get back to normal workouts) but just keep it in mind.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Is it a hard cast? Or a walking boot that you can remove? If it's a hard cast, I *personally* would stay away from anything that will make you sweat....cuz that will be GROSS after a couple weeks.

I would just watch your calories closely, and pick up the exercise after you are cast free.
  • sasasasa1
    sasasasa1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    canadjineh: yeah you're probably right! but its not too bad of an injury either, im feeling quite restless half the day, so I'll just try and do what i can so i dont feel so much like a slug haha :)

JTick: its a half hard cast. They wrapped it in cotton first and then put plaster on the underside as a splint and then wrapped the whole thing in gauze- type wrap, so yeah i guess it would be kinda gross :S i definetly didnt consider that. i am trying to watch my calories but keep ending up like 50 calories over and its driving me crazy as im at 1,200 now and im starving half the day :/
  • purpleychick
    purpleychick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You beat me to this. I was just going to post the very same thing. I broke my ankle and am in a walking boot. I have found some videos on you tube, but was just hoping for some more ideas.

Hope you heal quickly!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Another broken ankle here! Though I've had my cast removed this week - hurrah! So it's just strapped up but I cant run on it yet.

I've been concentrating on arm work with hand weights. I do bicep curls, kick backs, chest press, flys, mac-raises and triceps bends behind the head. 2 sets of 20.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Donkey Kicks!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    canadjineh: yeah you're probably right! but its not too bad of an injury either, im feeling quite restless half the day, so I'll just try and do what i can so i dont feel so much like a slug haha :)

i am trying to watch my calories but keep ending up like 50 calories over and its driving me crazy as im at 1,200 now and im starving half the day :/

Don't go too low as you will definitely be burning calories at a pretty good rate because your body is using the nutrients & energy for healing - don't shortchange yourself. I lost a fair bit of weight (not just muscle either lol)) while just lolling about in the lazy boy reading and doing cross stitch. Of course it was a major process to get to the fridge & cupboards so that could have been part of it :laugh: