Having trouble logging... too many food options!

Options
I'm trying to log my food and was wondering how you all decide on which item to pick when searching for food. For instance say I am searching for chicken breast, there are so many options! How do I know what to choose? Is there a main listing for, say, raw chicken breast, no skin? I'm seeing tons of MFP member added foods and I can see this getting unmanageable after a while. Is this just how it is, or is there a way i can just show "official" foods?

Replies

• Nexgear
    Nexgear Posts: 16
    Options
    Nevermind, I found an old thread where other people were having the exact same problem and the conclusion is that you cant really do anything. Guess Ill just get used to it.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yeah most of us end up eating the same thing pretty often too. When I first look stuff up I either scan the UPC code with the cell phone app or enter the exact name of the food as it is sold. If it's part of something I eat often I'll add the other parts (i.e. if its a sandwich the bread, meat, condiments, etc.) and then just save it as a meal.

Next time, when I eat the same thing, I can just add the meal and not look anything up.

If that doesn't make sense just reply and I can walk through it.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    What really confuses me is logging eggs. So many different options, and each one has different caloric values. Sometimes I just go to a several nutritional websites, find the average number, and log it as "quick add" calories. I know this screws with my macros, but at this point, I am just focused on calories. Besides, I can always ballpark the macros when it comes to eggs.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There are "official" listings for most foods in the database, the trick is how you search for them.

For instance, search "Eggs - raw" and the first three listings are for Eggs - white only raw, whole raw or yolk only raw, and none have a little asterisk next to them, indicating an "official" entry, or one you entered yourself. I eat whole eggs, so once I've selected that entry, the drop down menu for that item gives you the option to log in in cups, by egg size, or in grams.

For chicken breast - search "Chicken - Breast" & you'll get an entry for chicken breast, meat only, roasted, plus other options if you scroll through. As with the eggs, the drop down menu gives various measuring options.

For most fruits and veggies, you'll find the good entries if you search the item in plural - potatoes, bananas, strawberries, peaches, etc. Some things are bit trickier, like cantaloupe - search "Melons" and you'll find entries for cantaloupe, honeydew, etc. Same with squash for the winter and summer varieties.

Sometimes it takes a bit of poking around, but at least once you log some of them, they show up in your recent and eventually most used foods, making them easier to find.

Hope that helps!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What AmyRhubarb said. Basically, unless you have package info you can match--and always double check and then save frequent items to your favorites--look for the MFP official entries. Those are the ones WITHOUT asterisks. Asterisks mean the entry was added by a user, so be skeptical unless it's yours.

For staples like meat and eggs and fruits and vegetables I always use the official entry and don't worry about packaging except to tell me the cut or fat content of the meat. The official ones usually come up with a search like chicken leg skin raw, and the veggies with a search like carrots raw.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078

Yes there is something you can do actually.

entries that are from usda do not have an asteriks in front of them. If you can't find one of those you can create on of your own or edit an existing entry.

You can also create foods and recipes in the database for accuate logging.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've always looked at my own labels, did the math, entered it in my log and altered the serving size to make it match the amount of calories I actually consumed. For instance, a can of Glory collard greens (the variation I have) is 140 calories/can. The entry on here is for 300 calories. I just play with the decimal point for awhile until it says 140 (or really close, like 142, whatever) - but this is the difficult way :P I usually eat the same things so I did all of this awhile ago before I realized there are easier routes.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I have found that the easiest way to find the USDA listing for a particular whole food, like eggs, chicken, fish, fruits, and veggies is to first do my search of the item with "raw" listed behind it. If I can't find an entry without the asterisk, I then do a google search for that item and find the listing title on http://nutritiondata.self.com/. Once I know that, I come back here and put the exact name into the search bar. That usually helps me get to the USDA entry and then I can log by the gram.
  • llWishfulShrinkingll
    llWishfulShrinkingll Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've always looked at my own labels, did the math, entered it in my log and altered the serving size to make it match the amount of calories I actually consumed. For instance, a can of Glory collard greens (the variation I have) is 140 calories/can. The entry on here is for 300 calories. I just play with the decimal point for awhile until it says 140 (or really close, like 142, whatever) - but this is the difficult way :P I usually eat the same things so I did all of this awhile ago before I realized there are easier routes.

lol I do the same thing with the decimal
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078

entries that are from usda do not have an asteriks in front of them. If you can't find one of those you can create on of your own or edit an existing entry.

There in lies the problem!! All of the stupid people that enter there own foods into the data base! That is what the recipe saver is for!! I don't want to see Aunt Bessies' stewed tomatoes!!! What the hell is in them????
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. That link was particularly helpful. One question I still have about eggs: Are they the same amount of calories if I fry them, scramble them, hard-boil them, etc.? If I use zero-calorie cooking spray and add nothing else to them, should the calories change that much? I am stumped.
  • Nexgear
    Nexgear Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice its very helpful!
  • proboho
    proboho Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have just had a little look and find that BOTH entries with an asterisk and without are noted as 'member submitted' with a number of confirmations (some with none). I am confused, could somebody kindly clarify?
    Thanks
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    All that changes from cooking, other than the addition of any cooking fats, is weight. For example, a chicken breast that is 4 oz raw will weigh less cooked. How much less depends on how and how long it is cooked. On the whole it's better to weigh raw if possible and use raw weights. Same for eggs--if you are making scrambled or an omelet, weigh them before cooking. Or, really, do it once and if they all look the same keep using the one weight for the eggs in the carton. Or if necessary go with the carton designation as large, extra large, etc. I've found there's a little variation, but only a few calories at most. The calories don't change if you cook it, but the weight will, so what is significant is the state it was in when weighed.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

There in lies the problem!! All of the stupid people that enter there own foods into the data base! That is what the recipe saver is for!! I don't want to see Aunt Bessies' stewed tomatoes!!! What the hell is in them????

recipes are for that...recipes...

Adding a food is the responsible thing to do for yourself and as long as you know which are yours that makes it easy.

I add food all the time and end it with SCW (my initials) or edit existing entries because they are incorrect...I am not a stupid person...why because anyone that knows me knows that I am diligent and they can use my entries.

Actually Aunt Bessies stewed tomatoes is probably a recipe shared...now that imho is silly.

Foods in the database that start with an asteriks are user entered it is very easy to tell those apart from MFP entries as they don't have an asteriks.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I have just had a little look and find that BOTH entries with an asterisk and without are noted as 'member submitted' with a number of confirmations (some with none). I am confused, could somebody kindly clarify?
    Thanks

Yes both will have confirmations...mine typically have confirmations as well, people that know me know mine are correct.

The confirmations are from users who have "confirmed" the nutritional data is correct. Now that being said if you are unsure check yourself and if it is correct confirm it...that helps keep others in the know that those member submitted entries are correct.

You will find most confirmations on MFP database entries which typically are usda data.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I just always double check - and look for foods that are listed in weight (rather than # of crackers) as I find those to (generally) be more accurate. For my meals, I enter the meal myself (listing all ingredients in the title) with the nutrition info. For random things, I check how many confirmations (if there is no other way for me to verify).

You'll get the hang of it and find your rhythm.
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    All that changes from cooking, other than the addition of any cooking fats, is weight. For example, a chicken breast that is 4 oz raw will weigh less cooked. How much less depends on how and how long it is cooked. On the whole it's better to weigh raw if possible and use raw weights. Same for eggs--if you are making scrambled or an omelet, weigh them before cooking. Or, really, do it once and if they all look the same keep using the one weight for the eggs in the carton. Or if necessary go with the carton designation as large, extra large, etc. I've found there's a little variation, but only a few calories at most. The calories don't change if you cook it, but the weight will, so what is significant is the state it was in when weighed.

Thank you!
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The reason that data is often incorrect isn't actually down to user error but because manufacturers often alter recipes, so older entries will become inaccurate quite quickly. This site has been going for a while now so some of the entries are years old. Sometimes people put a year next to it to indicate that it was correct as of that year.