Greek Yogurt?

Options
So i hear a lot about Greek yogurt here and I'm wondering what are the benefits beside low calories? i normal eat yoplait lite and the nutrition guide is similar to Greek yogurt

Replies

• frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The protein you get from Greek Yogurt is much higher than what you'd get from the standard garden variety "lite" yogurts.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The amount of protein varies per brand, but it can go as high as 20 grams of protein. It's an easy way to get your protein in and tastes pretty good. It's a bit different than regular yogurt though. Very thick. They use 3 times the amount of milk in Greek yogurt than in regular yogurt, hence the thickness and the protein content. :)
  • InMyOwnWorld
    InMyOwnWorld Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is usually not lower in calories than fat-free yogurt or the light and fit variety. The big benefit is that it is double the protein, which helps you feel fuller. It also is a little bland, and not a sweet as yogurt, so it helps to add fruit to sweeten it up.
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    The protein is supposed to be good but I don't care for it to much....I like the lite better!!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    If you get the fat free then yes, the calories will add up. As many people have said, the protein content is a huge plus. To be honest, I use it as a sour cream substitute in chili and mexican dishes... no one can tell!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I eat it for the higher protein and lower sugar, but I also eat it for the bugs. Greek tends to be loaded with them. As for the flavor, I like it. If you don't, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and a packet of sweetener or a tsp of sugar or whatever (I like Ideal) per half cup (almost forgot to put that part!). Throw in your favorite fruit. Voila.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    thanks! i bought a 6 oz today i'm going to try it tomorrow at work
  • jpjh504
    jpjh504 Posts: 13
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt for the protein as well but I always add stuff to it: honey, a little bit of granola or cereal, blueberries, cranberries...
  • kbefit
    kbefit Posts: 116
    Options
    The Chobani brand is great...almost tastes like dessert. Also, it usually doesn't have high fructose corn syrup or artificial sugar in it.
  • jencompton3821
    jencompton3821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Athenos has a greek yogurt pack with honey and it's delish!!! I add a sprinkle of honey oat cereal and it so yummy!!!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    yum this all sounds so good
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the Greek gods brand and I love it. Add a little granola and it is so filling.....the thick consistency makes it seem decadent. :bigsmile:
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I make a veggie dip with the plain Greek yogurt.. Just add some ranch dressing mix. You can add milk to it to make it more a salad dressing, too.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I eat it because it is low sugar and high protein...and tastes great. Yoplait and other "regular" yogurts, even the plain ones, are chock full of sugar! I was horrified to learn just how much sugar is in them. For me, it isn't always about low calorie. I want my calories to be of good quality, and for me that means low saturated fats and sugars.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    It can be used for sweet or savoury. I use it instead of sour cream, creme fresh & cream on wraps, with chilli. A tablespoon in a pasta sauce will add a little creaminess. Personally I think it tastes better than normal yogurt and the 0% fat option is good too.